Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Floor Jack Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Floor Jack Recommendations

Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable floor jack to use for wheel changes? I'm assuming I should get a 3 ton jack. I was originally going to just go with a Craftsman but the reviews about build quality have scared me a bit. It's hard for me to justify spending $400+ on something like a Hein-Werner though just for seasonal wheel swaps.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i've used a craftsman 2 1/4 ton (Craftsman 2-1/4 ton Floor Jack) for over 5 yrs. now. The jack won't be lifting the entire weight of the car so you don't need one that can lift all 4400 lbs. The craftsman has been through probably half a dozen wheel changes per year so for me it was light use.

I picked the above because it came with a case and was relatively small and light. I used to live in a high rise with an underground garage so portability and remaining inconspicuous in the elevator was pretty important back then. Not sure if you'll be doing something similar

However, recently ordered the esco 10498 jack stands for further peace of mind. Have yet to check, but hopefully I can jack and prop at the same lift point. There are also the aluminum torin jack stands that look pretty good if you're only using them as security during a wheel change. I went with the escos since i'm thinking of crawling underneath to retorque the sway bars soon. Both the escos and torins have a flat top so adding a pinch weld jack pad should work for actual lifting. For the jack itself, I use a eastwood jack adapter (might go by a different company name now) which has worked great.

Last edited by userbbc; 06-18-2016 at 08:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tommy Kaine (05-01-2020)
Old 06-18-2016, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Advance Auto sells a TEQ 3 ton high lift for $80 that works great. You need the high lift for a SUV.
The lift is from 6 to 21 inches with the included extension adapter.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"You need the high lift for a SUV."
A high lift is easily and safely accomplished with lumber. Either some 2x10 pieces, if you need a wide base, or a piece of 4x4, which is sold cheaply. I needed about a 30" lift to make a bottle jack tall enough to push out a dented roof on a van once. 4x4 worked just fine. The compressive strength of wood is impressively high, especially against (rather than across) the grain. (One reason why fire rescue still uses wood for cribbing.)
FWIW.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riceboy22
Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable floor jack to use for wheel changes? I'm assuming I should get a 3 ton jack. I was originally going to just go with a Craftsman but the reviews about build quality have scared me a bit. It's hard for me to justify spending $400+ on something like a Hein-Werner though just for seasonal wheel swaps.
If its just for wheel swaps then just get the craftsmen for the weight you require to support. I wouldn't be scared of build quality if you aren't going under the car!
Old 06-20-2016, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this jack along with this Slotted Rubber Jack Pad Frame Rail Protector. Works great on my 2016 Q5.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
"You need the high lift for a SUV."
A high lift is easily and safely accomplished with lumber. Either some 2x10 pieces, if you need a wide base, or a piece of 4x4, which is sold cheaply. I needed about a 30" lift to make a bottle jack tall enough to push out a dented roof on a van once. 4x4 worked just fine. The compressive strength of wood is impressively high, especially against (rather than across) the grain. (One reason why fire rescue still uses wood for cribbing.)
FWIW.
Wood is old school..............
Old 06-20-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is a less expensive rubber rail protector.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Slo...KG7QBX0BXB4MJK

I myself took a hockey puck and put a groove in it via table saw. For those not inclined with such a risky endeavor, $10 isn't bad.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I recently purchased a Harbor Freight floor racing jack. It is made from a combination of steel and aluminum. It is relatively lightweight and the pumping is quick.

You are never lifting more than half the weight of the car, so a 1.5 ton (3,000 lbs) should be able to handle side lifts of the Q5.

1.5 Ton Compact Aluminum Racing Floor Jack with Rapid Pump®

If you want this HF item, check for coupons online.

Last edited by DennisMitchell; 06-20-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

You do know that if AoA catches you using Horror Fright equipment on your Audi, they will send a heavily armored recovery team to take your car back, and never let you buy another one of their products again. Honest.

Bob-
The good thing about wood, is that if you are stuck in the winter, you can always build a campfire with it. The new plastic stuff burns even better, but when you're roasting small game or passengers, it also ruins the flavor.

Quick Reply: Floor Jack Recommendations