Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Floor mats with new Q5?

Old 09-17-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
We ordered ours with the Audi Guard Protection Kit that includes OEM rubber mats and rubber trunk liner. From what I've read on here, the Audi rubber mats are actually better than most of the aftermarket stuff.
I have the OEM Audi trunk liner in my Q5 and a friend has the weathertech liner. I honestly see no difference, except for the fact he has a weathertech logo and he had the option of different colors.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the audi rubber mats and the trunk liner as well... Did you cut out the trunk liner holes for to use the cargo net? I haven't done it yet but before I had the trunk liner I used the net a bit.

Originally Posted by - B -
I have the OEM Audi trunk liner in my Q5 and a friend has the weathertech liner. I honestly see no difference, except for the fact he has a weathertech logo and he had the option of different colors.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The included carpeted floor mats are very cheezy. The driver's mat is ridiculously short. Looks lame.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I have the audi rubber mats and the trunk liner as well... Did you cut out the trunk liner holes for to use the cargo net? I haven't done it yet but before I had the trunk liner I used the net a bit.
I debated doing that for a while and just decided to swap out the liner when I want to use the cargo net. The problem I had with cutting was that when I need the liner it's usually because I don't want the trunk carpet to get dirty, but the holes allowed for water/dirt/etc. to get to the trunk's carpet. So I just decided to leave the liner the way it was. I'm really surprised that Audi didn't come up with a better solution to adding the cargo net to the liner, but for the time being I found a solution that works for me. I also got some collapsable canvas boxes from amazon for the trunk to throw items into so they don't roll around back there. I guess if I really needed the cargo net I could cut out the holes, but I find it really odd that Audi left it to the customer to do the cutting. Although, if I really needed a liner that could protect from dirt and water better, I could spring for the $350 plastic bin liner from Audi, but to me that's currently just overkill.

Last edited by - B -; 09-17-2014 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really surprised that Audi didn't come up with a better solution to adding the cargo net to the liner,
Wow, that's disappointing to hear. This didn't even cross my mind. I just assumed the net will play nicely with the trunk liner. It sounds like it's going to be one or the other in our case as well.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Wow, that's disappointing to hear. This didn't even cross my mind. I just assumed the net will play nicely with the trunk liner. It sounds like it's going to be one or the other in our case as well.
I just really wish Audi came up with a rubberized sleeve for the cargo net hooks that integrated with the rubberized liner. That way the liner would be solid(no holes) and the cargo net would work as well, but I guess their engineers are working on more important projects.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm glad this discussion turned to trunk liners as well. I do want to get a rubber trunk liner and have been considering the Weathertech.

For now, I don't really need rubber floor mats since we don't get snow in the Bay Area, and we haven't had rain in eons, but if I move back to the land of the Abominable Snowman (which is a real possibility), I'll definitely want some rubber on the floors during winter too.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine came with them
Old 09-17-2014, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

@metta... I live in Santa Cruz and knew that the rubber mats would be the easiest way to keep the floor clean. I agree about the snow & rain, but depending if you do outdoor activities, beach, bike, surf, etc... You may decide that the standard mats aren't that great etc...

Like "B" definitely disappointed with the that the net not fitting well with the cargo liner. My dealer said it is easy to cut through as audi has created the for areas that would be needed to be cut to be well marked but it would change the look and likely the holes would make the trunk dirtier.

So far I haven't missed using the cargo net but it still would have great to have the options to use it with out the large holes etc...

Originally Posted by metta
I'm glad this discussion turned to trunk liners as well. I do want to get a rubber trunk liner and have been considering the Weathertech.

For now, I don't really need rubber floor mats since we don't get snow in the Bay Area, and we haven't had rain in eons, but if I move back to the land of the Abominable Snowman (which is a real possibility), I'll definitely want some rubber on the floors during winter too.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While we do not necessarily need the rubber mats, I also went with the Audi all weathers all the way around. I think it makes the interior look a little more rugged. They also give some contrast with the carpet.

As far as the rear mat and cargo net, I found a collapsible canvas separator that we keep in the back to put groceries and other small items in. I use a bungee cord to connect the handles of the canvas separator to the tie downs on the back of the seats. The bungees keep everything from sliding around on the rubber floor mat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Floor mats with new Q5?