Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

FREE SQ5 Invisible Hitch (or S-line Q5) for someone who loves in the Atlanta Area!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tgt
As I mentioned, eagerly awaiting results of this as well to see how it turns out. I too, am interested in the clean look when I don't have a bike rack or tow bar on.

Half the price of OEM is a bit open ended. Half the price from where, a local Audi dealer? Online dealer? The OEM Q5/SQ5 hitch with full Electronics from an online Audi dealer is around $600 shipped. I doubt the execuhitch is going to come in at $300 shipped with full electronics (based on the prices advertised on the website). I'm not saying it won't be worth it, but just want to make sure we're all talking apples to apples here.

-tgt
My dealer quoted me around $1200 for the OEM hitch plus wanted to rape me on labor costs. I'm planning on using the hitch for bikes and skis, so don't really need the electronic integration (though execuhitch offers optional integration I believe). Being able to cover everything up with OEM plate is a big plus IMO.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC
Sorry everyone, the ice storm hitting the southeast has been hindering my visit to Execuhitch. They're next open slot is Wednesday next week.
No problem, good luck with everything....
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Today's the day for the first fitting if I'm recalling correctly? RobC, let us know how it goes?

Thanks!
-tgt
Old 02-19-2014, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tgt
Today's the day for the first fitting if I'm recalling correctly? RobC, let us know how it goes?
Yes, the Q5 is at the shop today for measurements and scanning. Here is a quote from an email update:

"Our design is definitely going to fit behind the removable cover on your rear fascia, exactly as we had hoped, so the appearance of your Q5 with our hitch installed will be the same as without a hitch installed."

The next step is to design the parts in CAD and fabricate the parts, and in about 2 weeks I'll go back for a test fit. If it fits then they'll take photos for installation instructions. Daryl will have to comment on general availability of the product.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:15 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow, that sounds promising. If I'm reading that right they are basically saying that the OEM Audi hitch 'cover' that pops off can be left 'on/installed' with OR without the draw bar installed on the hitch? That would be perfect!

Thanks for doing the legwork RobC, much appreciated.

-tgt

Originally Posted by RobC
"Our design is definitely going to fit behind the removable cover on your rear fascia, exactly as we had hoped, so the appearance of your Q5 with our hitch installed will be the same as without a hitch installed."
Old 02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great news, can't wait to get this
Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1
Old 02-20-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgt
Wow, that sounds promising. If I'm reading that right they are basically saying that the OEM Audi hitch 'cover' that pops off can be left 'on/installed' with OR without the draw bar installed on the hitch? That would be perfect!

Thanks for doing the legwork RobC, much appreciated.

-tgt
I spoke to Daryl about this last week, and posted the pictures he sent me to this thread, which show how it works on the BMW X6.

Since the receiver (the part with the towing ball) is removable, when you are NOT using the receiver to tow something, you can remove the receiver, and put the bumper plate cover back on to hide the hitch that is installed to the SUV. It will be a pretty sweet set up!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:54 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey BayArea -

Darn....I thought the original post from RobC was saying that the panel cover could stay on regardless of the receiver being installed or not (as it would lower in front of the edge of the panel). Regardless, still will be a great setup. For those of us not wanting to run without that panel cover (with the receiver installed) hopefully we're able to trim the panel as many OEM hitch guys have done (to make it more 'neat' looking than leaving the panel completely off).

-tgt

Originally Posted by BayAreaQ7
Since the receiver (the part with the towing ball) is removable, when you are NOT using the receiver to tow something, you can remove the receiver, and put the bumper plate cover back on to hide the hitch that is installed to the SUV. It will be a pretty sweet set up!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tgt
Hey BayArea -

Darn....I thought the original post from RobC was saying that the panel cover could stay on regardless of the receiver being installed or not (as it would lower in front of the edge of the panel). Regardless, still will be a great setup. For those of us not wanting to run without that panel cover (with the receiver installed) hopefully we're able to trim the panel as many OEM hitch guys have done (to make it more 'neat' looking than leaving the panel completely off).

-tgt
Yeah...I guess each way has it's pro's and con's, I personally like the idea of having a sleek look without the receiver showing. My SQ5 as a nice a**!

Quick Reply: FREE SQ5 Invisible Hitch (or S-line Q5) for someone who loves in the Atlanta Area!!!