Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Freshly Detailed w/Gtechniq Crystal Serum Coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a novice when it comes to paint protection, so I'm curious: How does the stuff your detailer used differ from OptiCoat Pro? I'd like to do something to protect the paint of my brilliant black TDI - while also increasing "sparkle" - without going so far as to pay top dollar for Xpel Ultimate.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanjbrown
I'm a novice when it comes to paint protection, so I'm curious: How does the stuff your detailer used differ from OptiCoat Pro? I'd like to do something to protect the paint of my brilliant black TDI - while also increasing "sparkle" - without going so far as to pay top dollar for Xpel Ultimate.
Both opti coat and gtechniq are paint coatings. Google Opti coat vs. gtechniq and you will see the pluses and minuses of each versus the other. I think you would be happy with either one.

If you want to go with a clear bra (Xpel Ultimate, 3M, or whatever), you will need to have that installed first as they will not adhere to the vehicle that has been coated.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

It does indeed! Thank you.

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
Both opti coat and gtechniq are paint coatings. Google Opti coat vs. gtechniq and you will see the pluses and minuses of each versus the other. I think you would be happy with either one.

If you want to go with a clear bra (Xpel Ultimate, 3M, or whatever), you will need to have that installed first as they will not adhere to the vehicle that has been coated.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

D.F. Mind if you let me know how much you paid for the detailing and how long they took?
BTW. The mirror effect is so nice...
Old 07-24-2014, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by philkkw
D.F. Mind if you let me know how much you paid for the detailing and how long they took?
BTW. The mirror effect is so nice...
See post #9...
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Got a quote for Modesta yesterday - body and wheels - $1,400, no paint correction needed .. $500 for what you got seems like an absolute steal. Congrats.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The local detailer that uses the Gtechniq products charges $995 for paint correction, coating for paint, wheels, carpet, and glass. I did my Q5 and S6 at $495 each when they were running a special promotion.

<a href="http://forums.quattroworld.com/southeast/msgs/14544.phtml">Xpost with pics</a>
Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RobC
The local detailer that uses the Gtechniq products charges $995 for paint correction, coating for paint, wheels, carpet, and glass. I did my Q5 and S6 at $495 each when they were running a special promotion.

<a href="http://forums.quattroworld.com/southeast/msgs/14544.phtml">Xpost with pics</a>
Stunning results!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
Stunning results!
Indeed..... Both look amazing!

I think I might have to try the Gtechniq, myself.

How long did it take to detail, apply, and cure? We're you able to drop off and pick up the SQ5 the same day?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by - B -
Indeed..... Both look amazing!

I think I might have to try the Gtechniq, myself.

How long did it take to detail, apply, and cure? We're you able to drop off and pick up the SQ5 the same day?
Typically you can drop it off in the morning and pick it up the end of the same day. This really depends on how much color correcting needs to be done. If you get the wheel coating, that takes 12 hours to cure. Paint coating takes 4 hours to cure, I believe.

Quick Reply: Freshly Detailed w/Gtechniq Crystal Serum Coating