Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Front License Plate Holder Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate Holder Removal

Hi , I got a new Q5 and my state doesn't require a front license plate. I am wondering if its easy to remove the plate holding frame. Has anyone tried it? Is it connected to any front parking sensors ? Thank you for all the helpful comments!
Attached Thumbnails Front License Plate Holder Removal-audi.jpg  
Old 03-30-2015, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Plate frame removal

Originally Posted by sreeQ5
Hi , I got a new Q5 and my state doesn't require a front license plate. I am wondering if its easy to remove the plate holding frame. Has anyone tried it? Is it connected to any front parking sensors ? Thank you for all the helpful comments!
I just replaced my plate frame with a plate delete style and it wasn't that difficult. Took about 30 minutes. I will say you need some small hands to remove the sensors( they unclip but not real easy) and to reinstall them. Otherwise its just a simple unclip and torx unscrew the plate style. The delete one has no screws. Looks way better.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it's new, it might be worth asking if the dealer will replace the plate panel with the no-plate version. It might have been easier pre-delivery, but it's worth a shot. I ordered mine without (even tho IL is a plate-required state) and the dealer was fine submitting the order that way. Apparently ~50% of their Audi orders request no front plate.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
If it's new, it might be worth asking if the dealer will replace the plate panel with the no-plate version. It might have been easier pre-delivery, but it's worth a shot. I ordered mine without (even tho IL is a plate-required state) and the dealer was fine submitting the order that way. Apparently ~50% of their Audi orders request no front plate.
My dealer ordered with front plate and got me a 'filler' for free..and put the filler on at delivery for free..looks pretty simple to swap out...just be careful with the parking sensore connects...
Old 05-10-2015, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
My dealer ordered with front plate and got me a 'filler' for free..and put the filler on at delivery for free..looks pretty simple to swap out...just be careful with the parking sensore connects...
Same here.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
The dealer in Charlotte when I bought my '11 Q5 swapped out the filler panel and severed the parking sensor wire. It shut the whole system down with a giant beep every time you put it in reverse with no camera function. They kept telling me (even through delivery) that there was an issue with a chip that needed to be put in that was unavailable because of the Japan Tsunami. That kept being told to me by them, and finally about 6 months later I got tired of my parking system not working, and took it to my local dealer, who looked the entire thing over, then came to me and asked if I'd been messing with the front grill area. I told them no, and when they explained what the found, I immediately knew it was the dealer in NC that did it (as they swapped it the day I took delivery). So they fixed that one connection and the whole thing magically worked again.

I called down there to tell them what happened and pretty much got blown off. So I decided not to use them ever again and stick with my local dealer.
The NC sales guy was also also the one who told my wife at the time that the grocery hooks were for her and the back hard cover was good for changing diapers on.

Glad I went with my local dealer for the SQ5 purchase.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ThunderDent who is you're local dealer? I got mine from Charlotte (North lake). Didn't have a horrific experience but I did try and get them to upgrade my nav maps and I any really a fan after that attempt.

And OP if you have the sensors as stated its a bit more of a pain in the **** but if you don't have parking sensors it's a 5-10 min job just use caution to line up the tabs right and don't snap them off taking the old one off.

Last edited by jdip; 05-12-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jdip
ThunderDent who is you're local dealer? I got mine from Charlotte (North lake). Didn't have a horrific experience but I did try and get them to upgrade my nav maps and I any really a fan after that attempt.
I purchased the '11 Q5 from Audi of Charlotte on Independence Blvd. Up where all the car dealerships are. I had originally worked out the sale over the phone with the head sales mgr (Bob something or other) but he was on vacation when I took delivery. So a sales rep named Sal Calibrera(sp.) did my delivery and was the guy who was making sexist comments to my wife. He was also the one who blew off my call about the sensors.

My local Audi dealer is Bert Wolfe Audi in Charleston, WV.
Jasper Elberink is my sales guy and he has been great. Helped me out getting the SQ5 I wanted and helped get me what he could out of my engine blown Q5.
The top tech there (Justin) completely redid my Q5 exhaust/suspension, set up, the works. And is a top Audi tech. Service dept always top notch.
I won't go anywhere else from now on.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Phew WV is far from Charlotte. Thought I was going to luck out on your recommended being localish. I got mine from Hendrick Audi. Its a new facility in north Charlotte on the Huntersville town line but I'm pretty sure the one on independence is still there. Thanks though!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jdip
Phew WV is far from Charlotte. Thought I was going to luck out on your recommended being localish. I got mine from Hendrick Audi. Its a new facility in north Charlotte on the Huntersville town line but I'm pretty sure the one on independence is still there. Thanks though!
It's about 5 hours from me, but I planned a trip down to see some friends in Greenville, SC. So I hoped down to Charlotte, got the car, and went on to SC.
Just happened to work out that way.

Glad to see there is another option for you. Charlotte is a good city. Like it there. Almost moved and took a job there a couple years ago, but the numbers weren't there.