Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Front License Plate in NJ

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate in NJ

Hi,

I got my Q5 TDI in May last year from Bell Audi. I have been driving for a year without front license plates, I found out it is a law and called Bell Audi Sales Guy who sold me, initially he told me he cannot do anything and I have to contact service department. Thinking this is BOGUS, I called Audi of America and they told me they if dealer did not order the car with front license plates, then I am obligated to pay for it even though it is NJ law!
Can you someone help here regarding this disregard by AoA and how I should proceed?
Thanks.

Bhagu
Old 05-26-2015, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

its a $50 ticket.

just keep driving it as is.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by bhagu
Hi,

I got my Q5 TDI in May last year from Bell Audi. I have been driving for a year without front license plates, I found out it is a law and called Bell Audi Sales Guy who sold me, initially he told me he cannot do anything and I have to contact service department. Thinking this is BOGUS, I called Audi of America and they told me they if dealer did not order the car with front license plates, then I am obligated to pay for it even though it is NJ law!
Can you someone help here regarding this disregard by AoA and how I should proceed?
Thanks.

Bhagu
You should have known the NJ law, and bought Q5 with the correct front end. Ever think that maybe us PA drivers buy cars in NJ and PA doesn't have a front plate so we would want the plateless front end.

I also see PA dealer cars with the plate front end to cover NJ and NY buyers.

Looks like you need to just buy the correct front end.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Thanks.

Bhagu
Bell Audi, that's where I got my car at too. I don't know who you worked with to get your car but my sales guy told me that he has to order the car with front plate holder because the state requires it even thou I already knew...I guess you just have to order one and put it on yourself.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Audi of America and its dealers know which states require front plate mounting provisions. C'mon.

Bhagu, Bell Audi should have delivered a street legal car to you.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

Thanks.

Bhagu
Just buy a new one. Sheesh how much could it be that your making all these phone calls.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Audi of America and its dealers know which states require front plate mounting provisions. C'mon.

Bhagu, Bell Audi should have delivered a street legal car to you.
doesn't mean someone can't order a car w/o a front plate and then cancel on that order at the 11th hour, leaving the dealer with a car w/o front plate mount. these options are installed at the port, so by the time they get to the dealership, it's no longer a no-cost change.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joey jojo
doesn't mean someone can't order a car w/o a front plate and then cancel on that order at the 11th hour, leaving the dealer with a car w/o front plate mount. these options are installed at the port, so by the time they get to the dealership, it's no longer a no-cost change.
Sure... but wouldnt you expect the dealer to tell you that the car you were buying was not actually 'legal' in your state or have a responsibility to make it legal?
Old 05-26-2015, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Don Keener
Sure... but wouldnt you expect the dealer to tell you that the car you were buying was not actually 'legal' in your state or have a responsibility to make it legal?
no one forced OP to buy it. he drove it for a year and then "noticed" it. you really think it's the dealer's fault for selling the car w/o front plate mounts at this juncture? some people request cars spec'd as such despite the law. if you ordered the car stock and it came w/o front plates and the dealer tried to make you pay for the change, i can understand your gripe. but if you buy off the lot, then it's on you. the front plate delete is also listed on the spec sheet.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I recently bought an Audi Q5 in Pennsylvania and I live in NJ. The car did not have the front license plate holder--they were able to swipe it out with a car with the front license plate holder--free of charge. It is actually a piece that they clip on--wasn't a big deal to them.. I think the price for the piece is about $100-$200. Main issue is to make sure it doesn't affect the front sensors. Bell Audi should have caught that--they are the ones that are doing the initial car registration and sending you the plates.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate in NJ