Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 03:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Gas - what do you use? Premium Vs. Regular

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine is tuned for Premium, that's what you should use. Your wife is right.

Anytime of city driving is very hard on a vehicle and can be considered adverse conditions.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is starting to feel like piling on, but premium all the way. Having driven all number of "performance" and more mundane grocery getters over the years, I can say without exception, that running premium in a car designed for 87 is a complete waste of time and money. Save the money and get a detail if you want to be generous and take care of your car.

I can also say the opposite, I have never run into a car spec'd for premium that didn't run better, with better mileage in the city, when filled with premium...and I've tried. It's the engineer in me that can't just be good with what I'm told. I have to know for myself.

Blown cars (turbo or SC) are even worse. With the high static compression ratios and added boost, these things are closer to detonation edge under transient conditions by design for improved economy and perf. Put in lower octane gas and your wife is going to be stepping on the throttle harder than ever to get the same acceleration as boost and timing are pulled trying to keep knock/ping out.

Going on a long, flat, cruise control kind of trip? Fine, you might be able to get away with low octane with minimal MPG hit, but...what's that old saying? Penny-wise, pound-foolish? Yeah, that's it... for everyday running around town, don't waste your money, fill up with the expensive stuff
Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am not a "car guy," and I admit I'm rather frugal - okay, cheap. But, I bought I nice car that I plan to have for many years. If I drive 15,000 miles a year and average 20mpg, I'm using 750 gallons of gas. If I buy the premium for $.50 more per gallon, I'm spending an incremental $375 per year. That doesn't seem like nearly enough savings to justify "risking" the lower octane - premium all the way for me, cheap or not...
Old 01-15-2015, 11:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

On my 15 Q5 2.0, I've only used premium although I've only driven it a little over 1600 miles. However, I must admit that I only used 87 octane on my prior Audi, a 01 TT Quattro, which from my bad memory had the 1.8L turbocharged engine. I never experienced any engine problems with the TT and it never felt laggy or struggled for acceleration either on surface streets or during my wonderful commute to work, from San Diego to Santa Monica (by the airport). For those familiar with this drive, I once made this trip in the TT in an hour and twenty-eight minutes but of course the traffic gods were smiling on me. I sold the TT with almost 200K miles but not because of any mechanical problem, just needed a roomier car. I'll keep filling up my Q with premium as I don't want to be called cheap :-)
Old 01-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Okay guys. It's unanimous. Premium it is. I agree, the few dollars is not worth the risk. I do agree also that my wife is smarter as another poster suggested, however, I am also frugal, which is why I asked here.

Thanks for your replies.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Premium and Top Tier as well. Keep it all nice and clean

If you have Costco in your area..gas prices are great and now Top Tier to boot.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience it only pays to run regular at high altitudes. Less oxygen = lean burning = premium OK. At sea level, and given stop & go driving, use the 91 (or 92 or 93, depending on your state).
Old 01-15-2015, 11:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I only use premium in all my gas engines. Even my lawn mower!! You will never miss the savings. Plus you WILL better MPG's out of premium gas.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Let's not forget that the only way to avoid ethanol at most gas stations is to buy the Premium grade. Ethanol is definitely an "mpg killer", and there is mounting evidence that it is hard (corrosive) on engine components.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stash64
Let's not forget that the only way to avoid ethanol at most gas stations is to buy the Premium grade. Ethanol is definitely an "mpg killer", and there is mounting evidence that it is hard (corrosive) on engine components.
Perhaps automotive components are designed to deal with the corrosion, but what you say is absolutely true. Just ask all my neighbors that use fuel with ethanol in their lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. Within 2 years, they are in the shop for new fuel system components. I use ethanol free premium in all of my small engines because of the corrosion issue.

Quick Reply: Gas - what do you use? Premium Vs. Regular