Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

good news and bad news with my brand new Q5

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi1177777
Ok so the dealer agreed to swap out the rear bumper with a new bumper that's coming off from a 2015 Q5 TDI with black optic package from their show room. They said the car will be ready by next wendsday for pick up since its a holiday weekend this week. Any thing I should check for since they have to replace the whole bumper the day picking up the car? Anything I should worry about? I still feel kind of nervous about swapping the bumper...
Like previous posters have said, a bumpers a bumper. They get dinged all the time. If you're feeling so nervous about it, just don't take it. Not so sure why that's so hard to understand
Old 05-22-2015, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 'new' 85 MR2 back in the day…Was showing it off to the guys at work (mechanics) and when I popped the mid-engine hood, one say..'hey is that overspray?'

Sure enough..silver paint on places where there should never be paint….I asked the dealer and they 'had no record of any damage'…yeah sure…so it got dinged on the boat between Japan and here….A couple years later the clear coat started chipping in the same general area…coincidence? Or just more non-factory paint failing? Was still under warranty so it got repainted at no charge to me…
Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok so the dealer agreed to swap out the rear bumper with a new bumper that's coming off from a 2015 Q5 TDI with black optic package from their show room. They said the car will be ready by next wendsday for pick up since its a holiday weekend this week. Any thing I should check for since they have to replace the whole bumper the day picking up the car? Anything I should worry about? I still feel kind of nervous about swapping the bumper...
Swapping bumper is simple. Knowing that it IS swapped is the question. Im not sure if Audi's body part are vin coded i.e. Honda have vin stamps on every removable body panels. In the past i had asked a dealer to swap wheels with another vehicle with the same wheels and tire because the one im purchasing has a scratch. They refuse to do so, let alone a body part. Rather they knock off $500 as i was ready to walk.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IntheQ5
Swapping bumper is simple. Knowing that it IS swapped is the question. Im not sure if Audi's body part are vin coded i.e. Honda have vin stamps on every removable body panels. In the past i had asked a dealer to swap wheels with another vehicle with the same wheels and tire because the one im purchasing has a scratch. They refuse to do so, let alone a body part. Rather they knock off $500 as i was ready to walk.
Thanks for the respond, the dealer is willing to show me the damaged bumper after the swap. It will be ready in couple days for me to pick up the car, so everything is working out. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Cars are damaged all the time in transportation. They repair/repaint at the port, and dealership. I believe that the US law is if the repair is less than $2,000 - 2,500 they don't need to tell you.
I don't know about federal or state laws in this situation but you are otherwise absolutely correct - damage happens all the time during shipment and the port facility has an entire body and paint shop to deal with minor damage. Because the port body shops are typically very good at what they do, it would be difficult if not impossible to know if any minor repairs were previously done to a new car upon delivery. (obvious defects visible at the dealer pre-purchase aside; these damages typically happen between the port and/or at the dealer).

I've bought more than a couple of dozen new cars over the years and I have no doubt that something happened between the factory and delivery on one or more of them. Since I hadn't detected any repaired damage, I never worried about it and nothing came back to bite me during ownership or trade/sale of the car years later. Instead, I've had plenty of opportunities to worry about damage that occurred under my ownership.

Last edited by snagitseven; 05-23-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:15 PM
TTG
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You are making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is. Many many cars get damaged during transport and get repaired either at distribution center or at the dealer which they are not obligated to disclose.

I can't believe that they are willing to swap it out of a brand new one off of their showroom.

Either way, you will be fine. However, I am thinking that they will repair the bumper on your car and you will never see that damaged bumper again.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
3M tape. I have one too although I was bummed it was labeled "S-Line" and I hate looking like a poser (mine is a regular Premium+). The eBay photo didn't show it and the guy took 25% off (refund via PayPal) so I just kept it. Works well though.
Mine doesn't say S-line or anything like that.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTG
You are making a bigger deal out of this than it actually is. Many many cars get damaged during transport and get repaired either at distribution center or at the dealer which they are not obligated to disclose.

I can't believe that they are willing to swap it out of a brand new one off of their showroom.

Either way, you will be fine. However, I am thinking that they will repair the bumper on your car and you will never see that damaged bumper again.
I guess you are totally right about that I am making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is but in the end it's all problem solved. Maybe if I don't see the damage then I will not be so **** about it.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess you are totally right about that I am making a bigger deal out of it than it actually is but in the end it's all problem solved. Maybe if I don't see the damage then I will not be so **** about it.
Wait until you get your first door ding, wheel rash, paint scratch, spilled drink or bumper gouge - you will probably freak out. The second one will make you very angry. The third will cause you to curse and shake your head and with the fourth you will say, damn, there's another one - I'll get around to taking care of that eventually.

Unless you keep the car garaged and never drive it, there's no way to take a 4000 lb. car out on public streets and completely avoid these things. Sadly, you will get bitten sooner or later. And likely more than once.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Wait until you get your first door ding, wheel rash, paint scratch, spilled drink or bumper gouge - you will probably freak out. The second one will make you very angry. The third will cause you to curse and shake your head and with the fourth you will say, damn, there's another one - I'll get around to taking care of that eventually.

Unless you keep the car garaged and never drive it, there's no way to take a 4000 lb. car out on public streets and completely avoid these things. Sadly, you will get bitten sooner or later. And likely more than once.
Lol you are so right, gets damage sooner or later but I don't see why you would keep the car in the garage and not drive it... I care about the car but not to that point where I don't drive it because it gets damage. To me that's weird.

Quick Reply: good news and bad news with my brand new Q5