Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

GPS is Crazy in our Q 5

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS is Crazy in our Q 5

Our GPS system acts crazy, when I put in an address it cuts me off in mid-entry most times. If I do get the whole address in it is no where near what I want.
I enter a city and State and it comes up with a city in a far far away state. Never lets us enter an address when it does come up with the correct city after 4 or 5 try's.
Then we might finally get the City and even the street name in and it never ask for numbers but then ask if we want to start navigation when we haven't entered and address numbers.
Anyone else have this issue?
Called the service department this AM and waiting for a callback 4.5 hours later.

My wife is so mad she wants her Lexus back.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a lot of discussion on factory nav systems. As a back to back Lexus owner, I look in on an owners forum now and then and there usually is a discussion or two on how bad theirs is. I've never had a major problem with our Q5's system, or the Lexus either.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine also seems fine but not as good as a smart phone. I am not sure why I always get the nav package when I get new cars since I never use them.

I just got my wife a new MB and we skipped the nav but MB has a lot more stuff A' la Carte so it seemed easier without losing some of the things we wanted.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Online destination" then say your address. I don't manually enter the address unless I have too. Never had any issue with mine.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

No, never had this issue. However, I rarely enter an address into the system by hand. If I do have just an address, I use voice control to dictate the entire address in one swoop.

Most of the time, though, I send the destination to my myAudi account from Google Maps on my computer or the MMI Connect app on my iPhone (especially if I have the address in a calendar appointment already. The app integrates with all my calendars), and then just pull it up in the car.

Other times, I use voice control to navigate to a contact stored on my phone, or I use the Google search feature in the MMI to search for a business while I'm driving.

Entering an address with the rotary **** is about as fun as a prostate exam, so why doing it the hard way?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was slammed for saying it before, but the NAV is at least 10 year old tech! It is, by far, the worst feature of the Q5.

I just picked up a 2005 Mercedes CLK500, and the NAV on it is just about dead equal with our 2016 Q5. The only major difference is voice control, which is 50/50 for working right. I do not consider the need to program an address on my phone ahead of time, then sync it to the car, then call it up, a reasonable alternative, especially since there is a monthly service fee to do it!

Oh, and on top of that, the Mercedes NAV boots within 10 seconds, and is usable immediately after that. It also calculates routes 3 times faster.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

My nav is the same in my '15 S5 and, yes, it is slow but I never have a problem with it doing wonky things. It just takes a while. Besides, I had to come to a dead stop in my Lexus to input an address. I can do it on the run in my Audi. Also, although the screen is smaller I find the graphics in my 10 year-old nav better than the ones in my '13 Lexus GS, which were new at the time.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Entering an address with the rotary **** is about as fun as a prostate exam, so why doing it the hard way?
I have experience with both and would take entering an address manually over a prostate exam in a heartbeat, hands down. So to speak.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I was slammed for saying it before, but the NAV is at least 10 year old tech! It is, by far, the worst feature of the Q5.
No, you got slammed, because you are whining about things you haven't actually tried for yourself, which is kinda puzzling given that your Q5 came with a complimentary 6-months Audi Connect subscription, giving you ample time to at least try it before posting an uninformed opinion.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

chief-
You could always call the local sheriff and request a "health and welfare check", because the entire dealership may have been taken hostage by terrorists and simply unable to return phone calls.(G)

I'd say problem #1 is to see if there's a sharper dealership around, some of them know how to answer phones, others don't. Guess which ones usually do the better job at service?

And then have them go over it with you. Audis do many things "my way or the highway" and it may be operator error. If not, they'll find out fast enough and they can replace the entire unit, probably two days later when parts come in and there's shop time and a loaner available.

Quick Reply: GPS is Crazy in our Q 5