Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

H&R Lowering Springs done...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
Default H&R Lowering Springs done...

and man, what a pain in the *** it was. Keep in mind no air tools available either. Hand tools only. Guess that didn't help the cause one bit. Worked for about 3 hours each day after work until dark. All-in-all took me about 4 days to complete. Oh yeah, it was in the mid 90's each day as well. Just another September Los Angeles heat wave. No A/C in the detached garage.
I started with the rears first for no particular reason. Space was so tight fitting the spring compressor in there.
I'm thinking that since the rears were so difficult, the fronts had to be a cake walk. Not a chance. So much crap had to be unbolted and taken off just to gain access.

I got the springs from Achtuning.com for just under $300
#29001-2 for TDI

I'm not completely satisfied with the look of the front. Like why is it noticeably higher than the rear? But then I look at the before pic and that too is noticeably higher as well.
The rears are spot on where I want them to be.
I sadly didn't take any detailed pics of each wheel space as I was completely wiped each night. Best I can offer is a pic I took after I brought her home day 1. So I aligned the after pic best I could.

One question I do have is what size is that hex that lives dead center axel hub? I went and got a 17mm and it was way too small.
Thanks

Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Something is wrong . Looks like you've got a load of bricks on the back. Did you check the front coil part # to confirm match set.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IntheQ5
Something is wrong . Looks like you've got a load of bricks on the back. Did you check the front coil part # to confirm match set.
Agreed.
The front looks almost higher than stock.
The following users liked this post:
JWA8Driver (11-28-2022)
Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, your car has way to much rake, it could be the pics are not right, but you should measure the fender to ground FTG clearance on all 4 corners.

Also, I am wondering which 17mm allen you are talking about, are you talking about the axle to hub bolt, if so, you don't have to remove that. The fronts should come out in less than 20-30 minutes per side. The rear is a different story, I find it easier to simply drop the rear subframe on each side rather than dealing with a spring compressor that is almost impossible to get in there.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Why did u do that?

Hard to believe that people still like to fix things that aren't broken... Like an old friend once told me... "Never have time to do it right, but always time to do it over." Based on youf photo, it's time to do it over... or better yet, have someone else correct the problem with the front... Gotta tell you, it looks really strange...

Also rename your thread "H&R Lowering Springs NOT done"
Old 10-01-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa...something's way wrong. I can't tell if it's the front or rear that's gone awry. Time to find a pro to start it over.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe get us a picture of it on a level surface. Your street looks like a pretty significant incline and you have the front wheels up on the driveway and the rears on down on the road. The right rear is the high side of the rear and may be being compressed more.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Alignment done and put her on level ground for a pic and she looks even as could be. Must have been the parking angle or driveway that threw off the gaps.
Thanks for all the advice except for Barraged. You made the most non-constructive condescending post. Seriously?
"Hard to believe that people still like to fix things that aren't broken"
Then I ask you why did you buy a protective case for your phone? It isn't broken. Why did you get all that extra crap like window tint, cargo liner for your ride if it's not broken?
Lowering springs provide many benefits. Better handling, improved gas mileage and god forbid it happens to make the vehicle look better.

"Never have time to do it right, but always time to do it over."
Thanks for the words of encouragement but you can kiss my *** because I did do it right!

And found me a 3.0 in the neighborhood to photo a comparison

Last edited by Dudealicious; 10-02-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Can we see a full-side pic on level ground. It sure does look better though.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks much better on level ground. In fact it looks just like mine. I put H&R -1 springs on my TDI. I couldn't stand the wheel gap before.

Quick Reply: H&R Lowering Springs done...