Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Had an allroad loaner yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the point that it looks good is a fair one. I've seen particularly good looking ones where people have lowered and put nice wheels on -- they can look really sharp.

Also agree about the SQ power -- if there is a gap in traffic flow that's the right size, I generally have more than enough power to get there. What I end up worrying more about is not plowing into the guy in my lane, accelerating. Judging by that post where a rolling 5 mph collision did $8K of damage, that's going to be an expensive problem if I'm not careful.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I was most interested in the Allroad initially because it was closer to my original 2006 Subaru outback xt (250hp turbo). The new outbacks are nice but much larger and my old was closer to the current Allroad wagon. I ended up getting the 2014 Q5 TDI abd haven't looked back!

Still will always have a soft spot for the original allroads as well as the new ones.

No comparison to the Q5 especially the TDI!

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
I also walked into the dealer looking at the Allroad model but when I priced it out vs. the TDI it just couldn't see why I wouldn't make the jump to the TDI

I did like how their grey color is 2 tone vs. the Grey in the Q5 which seems "all" grey. And the 2.0T does get better MPG's from what I recall
Old 09-19-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
That's a weird explanation. Q5 would have sold even better if Audi did not offer the Allroad at all.
Not necessarily, I would expect that most getting allroads are getting them because they want a wagon and not a CUV. Some people may have cross-shopped the two, but to have paid the extra and gotten nearly no choice of optioning you'd need to have really wanted the wagon and so I wouldn't think would necessarily easily fall back on a Q5.

Even if every allroad buyer would've bought a Q5, Audi's making a bunch of extra money this way so it's best to have offered it since people are actually buying them and they're priced so much higher than the nearly-identical alternative.

Doesn't mean it really makes sense from where we sit that the allroad is so much more, but it seems to be working out for Audi, at least. They could point and say "American's don't buy wagons", and they're making money off those who are. We'll have to see what the B9 generation brings over here.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by idale
They could point and say "American's don't buy wagons", and they're making money off those who are. We'll have to see what the B9 generation brings over here.
Yeah, it's kind of like with manual transmissions. First, many manufacturers in the US only offer it on some base versions of vehicles with limited options, and then they make it very difficult for you to get one (none on the lot, can't test drive, have to order blind from scratch and wait a long time). And then they conclude that "American's don't buy stick shifts," so they discontinue them altogether.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Yeah, it's kind of like with manual transmissions. First, many manufacturers in the US only offer it on some base versions of vehicles with limited options, and then they make it very difficult for you to get one (none on the lot, can't test drive, have to order blind from scratch and wait a long time). And then they conclude that "American's don't buy stick shifts," so they discontinue them altogether.
"People aren't buying things we don't give them access to." Though that's like back on the wagon side, I've seen a ton of people driving Magnums around lately. I don't know what it is, but I've seen more around in the past year or so than I ever did when they were able to be bought new. People finally coming around to wagons being able to be cool? We can hope? So maybe manufacturers will start slowly adding wagons back to their offerings? If it's "sporty wagons" people want, I'd be on board with Audi bring the S4 Avant back before the A4. RS6 Avant? Yes please?
Old 09-19-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The allroad is too expensive.

A premium plus with tech, b&o and a few upgrades is 50 grand. And that's not even including the 1 color paint which looks sharp...and the 19" wheels which are not available.

A 3.0 q5 with the same options and 20" rims is only 52.5.

The allroad is a cool vehicle that has a market...it's just paying more for getting less space than a q5.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by idale
Not necessarily, I would expect that most getting allroads are getting them because they want a wagon and not a CUV. Some people may have cross-shopped the two, but to have paid the extra and gotten nearly no choice of optioning you'd need to have really wanted the wagon and so I wouldn't think would necessarily easily fall back on a Q5.

Even if every allroad buyer would've bought a Q5, Audi's making a bunch of extra money this way so it's best to have offered it since people are actually buying them and they're priced so much higher than the nearly-identical alternative.

Doesn't mean it really makes sense from where we sit that the allroad is so much more, but it seems to be working out for Audi, at least. They could point and say "American's don't buy wagons", and they're making money off those who are. We'll have to see what the B9 generation brings over here.
I agree, but I also think Audi is thinking long term. What I mean by that is they know the Q5 will be popular with Americans since CUVs are the new SUVs, which Americans have always loved(also sales show this). Audi would probably price the Q5 higher if they weren't building a manufacturing facility in Mexico, but since their margins will be even higher once that facility comes online, they're eating some of the potential markup now(subsidizing it if you will), so they reap a bigger windfall come 2016 and on into the future. This way they don't stifle demand while the new facility in Mexico is being constructed, and guarantee future growth of demand. The Allroad on the other hand will continue to come from Europe and that probably won't change, so they see no reason to eat some of that cost because it has such a little market in the US as it is.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Station wagons in my opinion are never cool or sporty, just a family hauler for mom (no offense meant for any owners out there). I saw one priced at $52k which is crazy expensive as there is much more you could get for that kind of money.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The old allroad was badass!
Old 09-19-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hockeymonkey
Station wagons in my opinion are never cool or sporty, just a family hauler for mom (no offense meant for any owners out there). I saw one priced at $52k which is crazy expensive as there is much more you could get for that kind of money.
These days wagons, mini vans and yes, CUV's are family haulers for mom AND dad.

Quick Reply: Had an allroad loaner yesterday...