Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hartmann concerns with spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TDIII
Not to hijack this thread, but I will anyway!

JB, you've got an SQ5, right? I've got the 21" wheel option on my SQ5 and as most know, the market for replacement tires is very limited and the only offerings are summer tires.
Thanks!
Exist winter tires 21"
http://www.pirelli.com/tire/us/en/su...on_winter.html

Offer is slowly increasing. At the start there were only two models summer tires, now there are four

Last edited by spijun; 03-19-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default ET 25...

is more like the RS5 spec., assuming similar widths. On a Q5, it will just space the wheel out a bit more. Lower numerical ET's in general are less likely to have clearance issues, since the wheel spokes are now meeting up with a barrel centerline that is further out toward the fenders. That is, less chance the side of the brakes will hit the spokes.

Having fit RS5 front brakes on mine (big bulky Brembo's that are quite wide side to side given the 8 piston set up), they clear the OE 20's in ET33's fine, so expect less of an issue with ET 25's (at same width). They did not clear the spokes in the OE 19's I started with.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alpinestaraudi
Hey all. About ready to pull the trigger on some Hartmann 20 peelers
http://shop.achtuning.com/hartmann-h...-for-audi.aspx

Talked to ACHtuning and the finish I want only comes in ET40. They recommended a set of spacers (12mm front 20mm rear) to bring them more in line with the fenders versus the ET25 in the silver finish.

Should I be concerned about adding these spacers? Anyone have any pictures of a similar setup? Thanks in advance, want to be as informed as possible before I drop 1380 on rims alone.
Which model Q5 do you have, or rather which OEM wheels do you have? ET alone doesn't tell the full story, you need to know widths. It's possible ET40 puts your wheels at the same outer-edge position they are today, so there may be no reason to get spacers anyway. Depends if you were trying to get your wheels to grow outwards or not. I can understand if you don't want them to have their outer edge in more than OEM, but if it's the same, that seems like a reasonable outcome, and would likewise advise against spacers.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TDIII
Thanks, Transfer.

JaXeN, why are you beating that horse? It's dead......
Tenderizing it for his next meal???
Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
Tenderizing it for his next meal???
"HORSE, It's What's For Dinner"

Yummy!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
Which model Q5 do you have, or rather which OEM wheels do you have? ET alone doesn't tell the full story, you need to know widths. It's possible ET40 puts your wheels at the same outer-edge position they are today, so there may be no reason to get spacers anyway. Depends if you were trying to get your wheels to grow outwards or not. I can understand if you don't want them to have their outer edge in more than OEM, but if it's the same, that seems like a reasonable outcome, and would likewise advise against spacers.
2011 3.2 sline with the 19's. They are ET35 19x8 I believe. I would like to have the tires push further out closer to the wheel well. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on the silver finish in ET25 and having them powdercoated. Hartmann confirmed today "we have no plans of producing the (Matte Anthracite finish peelers) in ET25".

Not sure if the extra inch (20x9) would give me what I'm looking for. Hartmann customer service inquiries have been less than enlightening.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2014, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

2011 3.2 sline with the 19's. They are ET35 19x8 I believe. I would like to have the tires push further out closer to the wheel well. Getting closer to pulling the trigger on the silver finish in ET25 and having them powdercoated. Hartmann confirmed today "we have no plans of producing the (Matte Anthracite finish peelers) in ET25".
These wheels are 19x8 ET39 not ET35
Old 03-20-2014, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

(clip)
... Hartmann customer service inquiries have been less than enlightening.
Try Achtuning. That's where I bought my Hartmanns and they were great.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Not sure if the extra inch (20x9) would give me what I'm looking for. Hartmann customer service inquiries have been less than enlightening.
As nicely as I can say it, you really need to know the exact specs of what you have, and how changes in Width and ET will affect the wheels placement so you know what you'll end up with, long before you consider buying a different wheel and having it powder coated. That's a big undertaking if you don't even know how it will end up, when your entire reason for doing it is based on that.

So here are the details...

Offset is the measurement (in millimeters) from the centerline of the wheel to the hub mating surface. [Assuming the spoke arrangement doesn't move...] the more positive the value, the less material exists on the wheel by the hub, and the wheel moves inward (towards suspension parts). Conversely, the more negative the value, the more material exists on the wheel by the hub, and the wheel moves outward.

So for a given width wheel, the change in ET directly dictates how much the outer edge and inner edge of the wheel moves. An ET10 wheel sticks out 20mm more than an otherwise identical ET30 wheel.

But once you start changing widths, now you need to take that into consideration. ET is measured from the centerline of a wheel. So if you keep the same ET, and only change width, the wheel will grow/shrink both inwards and outwards each by 1/2 the change. Thus for a given ET, going from a 7" wide to an 8" wide wheel will grow 0.5" inward and 0.5" outward.

If you are changing both ET and Width, you need to apply both changes to get the result. It may be mentally easier to first consider the wheel growing by width, then account for the ET difference.

Thus going from:
19x8 ET39
to:
20x9 ET40

Looking first at the width change of 1", your wheel will grow 1/2" inwards and 1/2" outwards. Then apply the ET change of +1mm will then move that result 1mm inward. So basically the net result is the wheel will be 1/2" further outwards than what you have now. Does that result in something you'd be happy with? If so, go with that.

Alternatively if you went with that same wheel, but otherwise an ET25, that would push the wheel out an additional 15mm (0.6"), for a total change of about 1.1" further out than your current setup. Is that what you want? It seems you don't have S-Line (or rather you don't have 20"/255 OEM wheels/tires), and therefore don't have the wider paint-protecting plastic fender extensions, so I might be hesitant to suggest adding that much width to your wheel. For reference, the S-Line/20" OEM wheel is 20x8.5 ET33, which compared to your original wheel would be 0.25"+6mm= ~0.5" further outward wheel. So if you went with the ET25, you'd be another 0.6" further outward than S-line/20" setup.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

I created this previously to compare various wheels to the wheels that were coming standard on my S-line/20" (blue). You can use that to see how some of the others compare to each other as well:

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Mark P; 03-24-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Expert

And for what it's worth, here are my 20x9 ET40 Hartmann wheels - most are just side views, but some may help:

Quick Reply: Hartmann concerns with spacers