Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Headlights on with Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights on with Wipers

Question for everyone-

On all my VW's/BMW's with rain sensing wipers & auto headlights the headlights turned on with the wipers when they reach a certain intensity but the Audi doesn't seem to do that

Even in extremely heavy rain (like we had this last week) the headlights stayed off unless it got dark enough to hit the sensor

Is that normal? Seems odd they wouldn't do that since nearly all cars do it these days for safety reasons
Old 12-16-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I would think the LED DRL lights negate the need to activate the headlights unless it's dark enough to require headlights anyway.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In California the law for a few years now has been, "Headlights on, wipers on." IMO the lights should be wired such that they come on in unison with the wipers. (If on intermittent setting, no lights required but having grown up in Oregon, I always put my lights on if it's cloudy.)
Old 12-16-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
In California the law for a few years now has been, "Headlights on, wipers on." IMO the lights should be wired such that they come on in unison with the wipers. (If on intermittent setting, no lights required but having grown up in Oregon, I always put my lights on if it's cloudy.)
Yup & the LED DRL's don't turn on the taillights
Old 12-16-2014, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
Yup & the LED DRL's don't turn on the taillights
Exactly! I have to remember to put my lights on in the weather we've been having (more heavy rain today in Northern Cali).
Old 01-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Audi newbie here: It seemed that my 2015 Q7 did not turn on the lights (headlights/taillights) the last time I drove it in the rain and the auto-wipers turned on. Before questioning the dealer I wanted to do a little research and....

Soooooooooooooooo - what I am reading here is that Audi vehicles do not automatically turn on the headlights when the auto-wipers turn on. Is this really the case?

With all the safety and technology built into Audi, and Audi leading the way of autonomous driving cars I cannot believe that Audi vehicle does not turn on the headlights when the auto-wipers turn on.

Again: Is this really the case?

Kind Regards!
Old 05-25-2015, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Guess what I found out? The headlights DO come on with the wipers! I was behind a tanker truck (reflecting kind) one day and happened to look at my headlights in the rain and noticed they were on. I looked over and the little light icon was illuminated (but the interior backlit buttons didn't turn on nor did the Navi dim) so I tried it again and sure enough, there is a special feature built into our auto lights that turns them on with the rain BUT doesn't activate the rest of the things that are needed at night. Pretty Cool....
Old 03-24-2023, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rbradleysd
Question for everyone-

On all my VW's/BMW's with rain sensing wipers & auto headlights the headlights turned on with the wipers when they reach a certain intensity but the Audi doesn't seem to do that

Even in extremely heavy rain (like we had this last week) the headlights stayed off unless it got dark enough to hit the sensor

Is that normal? Seems odd they wouldn't do that since nearly all cars do it these days for safety reasons
Hi my Q7 turns lights on automatically when the wipers go on. The GPS will stay on as does.

thanks Auggie