Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help me understand VAG COM options

Old 12-15-2014, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me understand VAG COM options

Hi all, I am buying a Q5 soon (delivery in Feb/Mar) and see lots of info about VAG COM tool. If I understand what this is, is it's basically a way to use the OBD2 port to access service and settings menus.

There seems to be lots of differnt price points for these tools. I am looking to get educated on the tool before buying one. What does one get with the different tools/price points? Are they stand alone tools or do they interface with a PC (or Mac..likely not)? I also see the Carista tool that interfaces with an Android phone..

Any help, real world experiences are most appreicated.

Last edited by SJGQ5; 12-15-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5
Hi all, I am buying a Q5 soon (delivery in Feb/Mar) and see lots of info about VAG COM tool. If I understand what this is, is it's basically a way to use the OBD2 port to access service and settings menus.

There seems to be lots of differnt price points for these tools. I am looking to get educated on the tool before buying one. What does one get with the different tools/price points? Are they stand alone tools or do they interface with a PC (or Mac..likely not)? I also see the Carista tool that interfaces with an Android phone..

I can take a shot at this...

The Ross Tech tool is a true diagnostic tool that gets you deep into the guts of the car. Its target market is for techs that fix cars for a living but is very very nice for us enthusiasts who can afford them. They also let you tweek the hidden functions to customize the car. Ross Tech VAG Com is an application and a USB cable (or COM cable for old laptops) for a laptop computer.

An Android app like Carista can read codes from all the internal computers but doesnt really help you understand what they mean beyond the standard OBDII codes. Carista also lets you customize the car features very easily.

A basic OBDII reader just gives you the standard OBDII codes and not much else.

I have Carista but am about to get a Ross Tech VAG Com...
Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The RossTech cable comes with free software updates, which is nice as there are different models and features.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SJGQ5

Only is one original VCDS - RossTech (old name Vag-COM due to copyright changed), the rest are Chinese copies
Other programs that exist are just bad copies, which have a limited capabilities
Ross-Tech: Home
Ross-Tech Wiki
Ross-Tech: VCDS: Downloads: Which One?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you use the vcds/vagcom in other vehicle like bmw or you have to buy seperate for each car?
Old 12-15-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bpkaudi
Can you use the vcds/vagcom in other vehicle like bmw or you have to buy seperate for each car?
VCDS/VAG COMM is for VW Group cards only... VAG=Volkswagen Automotive Group.

Diagnostic Procedures - Ross-Tech Wiki

Oh... I ordered mine this afternoon...... ;>)
Old 12-15-2014, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also you can check in the regional forums (both here and audizine) to see if they have a list of people that have the cables and are willing to help fellow members out. I know I have let others come to my place to program their cars. It is what makes this and other communities great.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highly recommend the Ross-Tech VAG-COM. Been using it for years on various VW's and Audis. It does have a generic option which I used once to check a CEL on my Lotus Elise and it worked fine for that too.
VERY helpful...