Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help with your sunshade replacement ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
Attached PDF

I have read the directions over and over and i can't get the adaptation process to work. Anyone able to give me any tips on this.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

It sounds like Audi's odd use of what they think is British English would translate into American English as "Hold down button #1 until the sunshade has fully opened and closed. After one full cycle, you may release the button and the car will have been programmed with the proper limit positions for a fully opened or closed shade."

That is, you have to fully cycle the shade, open and closed, to teach the car how far it is expected to go in each direction.

Apparently someone told them that "Adaption" means "Programming". Sometimes I think it would make more sense to get the instructions in the original German and let Google Translate butcher them directly into American English.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks. Seems i have an issue with mine. I was hoping this would fix it. My shade doesn't fully open. It stops about 3/4 way down the second glass. Then when you close it automatically, it gets to the end and opens itself back up.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how to replace the broken clip at both sides track of shade sliding

Originally Posted by spijun
Attached PDF
Hello,spijun,

Can you send me the instruction to replace the Audi Q5 brokeb clips at both sides of guide shade slider? My sun shade was jammed and could not go back to the front because the teeth/clips at the guide bar end were broken and could not guide the shade to close, please help!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by himanshuneil
The dealership just quoted me $ 1000.00 labour and $ 500 for the shade ????!!
Thanks for your detailed instructions, i am trying to find some body shop who can do the job using the pdf sheet , I only hope they don't screw up anything , Is there any precautions that you would recommend Spun.
thanks
Hey did it work, would like to know whether body shop fixed properly or not.
Can you suggestion whether to Audi or not?
Old 06-08-2016, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a VW DIY that people have used to repair the sunshade.
VWVortex.com - DIY panoramic sunblind sunshade OEM repair. - 1 hr
The following users liked this post:
diverej (07-18-2019)
Old 08-31-2016, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Got fixed by Aftermarket warranty company

I know its an old thread but i took my car in for service on three seperate occassions and got three different cars and noticed the sunshade is the same among all three. I have a plantinum coverage, i was concerned that it wouldnt be covered ao i asked the dealer for all the part numbers related to the issue which is the shade, guide andbthe rail then incalled the warranty company and to my surprize all three are covered. If i had done this before I would have saved myself a $250 deducatable and bundled it with the turbo repair they did.. any how, my dealer wanted $2700 for the job.. i paid $250 so guess i cant complain.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Spijun-
I contacted one of our dealers, and they said "Sunshade. 1K9-877-307-C-QE8 " is the only part that is needed. That this comprises the cloth shade, plus whatever edge tapes are bonded to the cloth, plus the roller assembly that the cloth goes into--which is what I think people are calling "the cassette". And apparently that "cassette" includes a motor(s) so that's the whole deal, one assembly that is unbolted ant replaced. (And unplugged from the electrical harness, and the shade reattached to the front bar, and whatever other assembly needs to be done, but only one "part" assemblage that contains all the broken stuff.)

Does that sound about right to you? I'd swear, this is the old parable about three blind men examining an elephant, and one describes it as being just like a snake (he got the trunk) while the next says something totally different....and none of them really knows what a pachyderm is.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Himan-
The dealership here on the mainland wanted $2200, which I think meets the Supreme Court definition of "obscene".
I found an indy upholstery/headliner shop that does the work for a number of high end dealers, 40 years in business and family owned, and they quoted me $450 for the part from Audi and a total of $1200 for the job. And I was about to take it in.

Then I got a call from the Audi dealer today, someone allegedly convinced Audi to make a courtesy accommodation and eat half of the entire bill, so for slightly less than the same $1200 (and since there's always some mystery fee I'm sure $75 more) I'm just going to let the dealership do it. Reluctantly, but the saying is "I'm getting too old for this **it" and I really don't want to pull down the roof and immobilize the car while I'm exploring.

I'm not really sure if AoA is kicking in--or if the dealership just decided not to be pigs. I'd think $800 worth of labor is enough to do the job, whether the headliner has to come down or not. $800 used to buy an entire power sunroof from the factory!

Either way, they expect it to take two full days (duh?) and I'll be most curious to see what the old parts look like. I've got this creeping feeling that unless the "tapes" got bent and consumed themselves, they really should be able to be re-glued to the cloth and rebuilt better than new. And this time...that shade is going to be retracted and LEFT retracted.

I don't know which "Audi of the Carib" or whatever is your regional office, but it can't hurt to ask them for a customer courtesy accommodation if the car is anywhere near "young", even out of warranty. Took about a week to get an answer.

[LATER]
Job was done. There is at least one YT video that says all you need to change is the motor/cartridge/shade assembly, as one unit, and that you can just remove the rear plastic headliner "cap" to access that. So he swears. But an indy roof shop that does a lot of dealer work said the whole roof has to come down, and the dealer said the whole roof plus, they replace the "rails" not just the motor assembly. They wouldn't let me look at the failed part(s), they said that had to go back to Audi for warranty failure analysis, since Audi had picked up half the tab.

So now the question is, do I ask FEMA for one of those blue poly tarps to tie over my roof to protect the new one? (sigh)

Last edited by Redd; 05-25-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Any manual pages for the rear pop up sunroof on a 2013 Q7?

@spijun are there drawings for the rear sunroof too. Mine goes up and down, just not down to the fully seated position. It remains open about 5mm. Rain could easily get in.
I have tried to reset the upper and lower limits by holding the button in each direction. That does not work.
I have also removed the fuse in the hope that it could be reset. That did not work.
I have also felt and looked at the rails with an inspection camera and don’t see any obstructions.

At this point it would seem to be mechanical binding of some sort.

Any ideas are welcome.

Quick Reply: Help with your sunshade replacement ideas