Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Hill Hold vs. Auto Hold

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hill Hold vs. Auto Hold

I have a button on my 2011 S-Line Q5 center console dash just below the radio controls for "Hill Hold" (it's an icon of a vehicle on a decline).

However I've also seen pics of vehicle interiors where there is an "Auto Hold" (A) button as the second half of the parking brake button -- that portion of my parking brake button is blank.

As I understand it Hill Hold is a feature that will allow you to maintain the parking break and the vehicle will automatically release it when you've applied enough torque to drive away.

The Auto Hold feature was something that did not require activation and would occur even stopped at a traffic light.

Can someone edumakate me please?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Audi hold assist

Easily held: Audi hold assist keeps the car stationary once it has stopped and automatically prevents it from rolling on uphill and downhill gradients. There is no need to use the handbrake, making hill starts even easier.

During stops on uphill and downhill gradients, Audi hold assist holds the car stationary for as long as you like. It is activated by pressing a button and allows the driver to set the car in motion smoothly without having to use the handbrake at all. If the vehicle remains stationary for a long period with Audi hold assist active, the system automatically switches over to the electromechanical parking brake. There is no need to operate the handbrake to pull away.

Audi hold assist is part of the ABS-ESP control system. After you release the brake pedal, the hydraulic pressure is maintained, meaning the hydraulic system keeps the brake pads pressed against the brake discs at the front and rear. During this process, the electromechanical parking brake is not in operation. The advantages: a quicker reaction time, less noise and less braking effect at all four wheels, and enhanced comfort. Audi hold assist is only available in conjunction with the electromechanical parking brake.
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...t.browser.html
Old 09-17-2013, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Thanks, but I know the differences. Am I missing something from your post with respect to mine?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hill-start assist

Easy starting with no roll-back. The hill-start assist function helps you drive off on a hill. If you hold down the foot brake for a time when the vehicle is stationary, the brake pressure is retained for brief a moment after you release the brake pedal – relaxed starting on any hill or incline with no roll-back.

Stress-free hill-starting: the hill-start assist function provides assistance and safety for driving off on an incline. The advantage: as you change from the brake to the accelerator, the car remains stationary for long enough and – thanks to the system’s automatic braking intervention – you can easily pull away without rolling back. Hill-start assist is a particularly valuable feature in combination with a towing bracket.

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...t.browser.html
Old 09-17-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe I should have been more clear.

I've seen retrofits for the Hill Start but not the Auto Hold. Is the Auto Hold not an available feature? Can it be added?

What am I missing?
Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jazzy
Maybe I should have been more clear.

I've seen retrofits for the Hill Start but not the Auto Hold. Is the Auto Hold not an available feature? Can it be added?

What am I missing?
Yes for Hill Hold
http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_HillHold.html
Old 09-17-2013, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got a bit confused on the differences...

The button on the center console is 'hill decent control' and is used to maintain a constant speed when going down a hill, particularly on uneven/slippery surfaces without you needing to touch the footbrake. It independently brakes each wheel to maintain maximum grip at very low speeds on serious decents.

Hill hold is the 'A' button by the parking brake, although it really should not have hill in the name because as you say it is designed to hold the car stationary (at any angle, including flat where it is simply arresting the creep of the auto box) until you apply throttle and it will pull away. It actually uses the ABS and not the parking brake in most instances to do this (although it will auto apply/release the parking brake as well - specifically it applies it if you take your seat belt off, and will release it if so happens to be applied as you pull away).

Auto hold is not a publicised feature AFAIK so I assume this is another term for the hill hold (and frankly a more sensible one!).

Hope that helps!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Audi official name is: Downhill Assist Control

Name:  ScreenShot150_zps9b9cb9c2.jpg
Views: 8053
Size:  143.0 KB
Old 09-22-2013, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Almost There

So wait ... are you guys saying the (A) hold button on the parking button is NOT a Q5 feature or is?

I see it mentioned on AudiEnthusiats site but he calls it "Automatic Hill Hold Assist" but is referring to the lower portion of the button I'm talking about.

Sorry if I'm being dense. Just trying to figure out why I don't have it and if I can add it.

Thanks for all the comments BTW.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The (A) button is an optional factory fitted feature on the Q5. If you have a blank space it can be added as long as you have the correct ABS unit. As mentioned earlier retrofit instructions and how to identify your ABS unit per http://www.audienthusiasts.com/Project_HillHold.html.

Quick Reply: Hill Hold vs. Auto Hold