Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Horns of a dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Horns of a dilemma

Quite simply, I need some advice for those that have a 3.0 TDI with 18 inch tires. Specifically the continental contact sports LX that come with the car. Not the Eco-plus versions, just the regular OEMS.

While these tires seem okay in the dry, I have my doubts about ice or snow. Yes I know they are just all seasons and should never replace true dedicated winters for winter conditions.

My dilemma is...we want to head down south to Arizona or Florida for an extended visit, but know that we may very likely run into ice or snow mid-USA coming and going to Canada. In researching the OEM tires on tirerack and others, it seems they are pretty bad in these two categories. And of course running dedicated winters would not be an option in the heat of Florida or Arizona now would they.

So my questions are;

1. Has anyone really driven these tires extensively in either of the previously mention conditions.
2. Can someone recommend an all season tire that's better in these conditions than the OEMS.
3. Has anyone tried the new Michelin premier LTX,s. They appear to have good or the best reviews I have seen so far.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Old 12-02-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

No one use these tires? or can offer any advice?
Old 12-02-2015, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcampbell3
No one use these tires? or can offer any advice?
I've driven on all-seasons during winter only once, and you can generally get by on them if you stay away from deep snow, and in general "take it easy". Here's the trick I've learnt - as you approach the spot where you will need to stop, do a short "test braking" well in advance to estimate if you have enough traction to brake in time.
I've also driven on winters during very warm weather for some time (waiting for a tire swap window was unusually long), and in general they are OK, but they will send you sliding if you brake hard.
So to sum it up - you can get by on all-seasons if you drive accordingly (avoid aggressive driving - drive as if you're on ice). I can't offer you any advice on specific brand/model since it was a while since I've used AS, but in general most of them should be OK if you take it easy.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I recently got a set of the new Continental DWS 06 - they are rated better for light sbow than most for performance all season tires. I found the old DWS to be very decent in snow under 4" and these are improved according to the manufacturer.
As to the rest of the year, they are excellent in the dry and wet.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply.

Did you have these on Q5 TDI? I checked the tirerack again and they are not listed for my wheel size. What size did you have?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Four season tires make lousy snow tires. If I was only worried about a small chance of snow in transit, I'd keep the regular tires (instead of spending $1500-2000 on snows and wasting them on the dry southern roads) and just figure that I might have to spend an extra night on the road while a snowstorm was cleared.

In the worst case, there are "snow chains" that are made of high-tech fabric these days (like Aramid and Kevlar) that will get you unstuck and able to travel out of a snowstorm to a better location. Much more reasonable for "just in case" insurance.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Summer tires make for poor winter tires. If the temps where someone lives gets below 40 degrees, the tread becomes hard resulting in loss of traction ability, even in the dry. If there is any snow or ice, they turn into hockey pucks and can be dangerous.

Generalizing that A/S tires are "lousy" in snow is simply not accurate. If properly designed, they can be very satisfactory for light snow use (4" or less) and especially on plowed roads. I've had A/S tires for many years and in those conditions, they have worked well, some better than others.
Old 12-04-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Agreed, "summer" tires are not A/S tires. I have had some "not so" fond memories of "summer" tires and cold weather and snow. I would never, ever, even consider using them for this trip! They just will not go anywhere when its cold out! Dangerous!

I have driven on a set of A/S tires "occasionally" at the beginning of winter. And have adjusted my driving accordingly when caught in a "the odd" snow storm. With the A/S tires and AWD and some caution I have always made it safely home. But you need to severely adjust your driving speeds and braking distances.

Thanks for the replies, but I will not be buying dedicated winters for this trip. Although I have learned after an exhaustive review of A/S that the Continental LX with eco-sport is decent in its snow and ice performance for an A/S tire.

Unfortunately Audi did not deem to give us that tire on the 3.0 TDI in the northern climes!?????? multo-bizarro.

Cheers