Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

howto clean the air condition vaporizer by myself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default howto clean the air condition vaporizer by myself?

Hello,

please excuse my poor english.

i have a Q5 from 2014 and now i have some smell coming from the air condition.

I solved this problem in other cars by usig an air condition cleaner foam, using a tube through the nozzles. (i really hope that my translator uses the right words).

On my audi Q5 there is a grid behind the nozzle, so i cannot use the tube to spray the foam on the vaporizer to clean it.

i removed the glove compartment and i removed somithing like a sensor from the black ventilation housing to insert the tube. But i didnt help as much as i want.

What is the best way to reach to the air condition vaporizer?

(PS: I also bought a new air activated-carbon filter, it will arrive in the next days)

Thank you very much
Old 08-19-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vaporizer? YOU mean the evaporator coil? You shouldn't have issues with a 2014. Heck, I've never cleaned the coils in any of my cars going on 8 years for one of them. Maybe I'm more tolerate of the occasional odor from some coil "scum" that's is normal on all AC systems.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by q5driver2014
Hello,

I solved this problem in other cars by usig an air condition cleaner foam, using a tube through the nozzles. (i really hope that my translator uses the right words).

On my audi Q5 there is a grid behind the nozzle, so i cannot use the tube to spray the foam on the vaporizer to clean it.

i removed the glove compartment and i removed somithing like a sensor from the black ventilation housing to insert the tube. But i didnt help as much as i want.

(PS: I also bought a new air activated-carbon filter, it will arrive in the next days)

Thank you very much
If you're smelling a "musty smell" like I usually do in my 2011 Q5, then it's most likely some mold that has grown inside the vents from frequent use of A/C. Or it just could be the ridiculous amounts of leaves, pollen, other crap from trees, etc that end up in the engine bay in the vicinity of the intake. Stuff beings to rot and that could be what you're smelling.

Many members on here have said to blast your heat on high during a very hot day to burn out the mold. I'm about to try that myself the next super hot day here in VA.

I've also used the foam spray purchased from Detailers Domain. Worked for a short time, but the smell has been back and my wife always complains about it Changing out the filter does nothing.
The following users liked this post:
Samsdad (07-15-2023)
Old 08-28-2015, 01:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

a audi garage did an ac cleaning with "Contra Sept".

Contra Sept says:

• clean the evaporator with 1l of cleaning fluid
  • clean the surroundings with another cleaning fluid

both it changed nothing.

i think they didnt reach the whole surface of the evaporator
Old 08-28-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I remember that GM dealers used to sell and probably still do an effective cleaner that was blown in through the cabin air intake with the AC on full fan. Never used it myself but I saw many reports that it was the only one that worked. Worth checking...
Old 09-04-2015, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

cleaning and cleaning & ozone didnt help.

i think they have to change the evaporator.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try the Wurth air conditioning cleaner, it works pretty well.

Amazon.com: 6oz. Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment: Automotive Amazon.com: 6oz. Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment: Automotive

or you can try the more advanced kit that includes the evaporator foam.

Wurth Air Conditioning Intake Refresher Kit - 089313929

Last edited by hilld; 09-04-2015 at 08:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Grisho (07-13-2023)
Old 11-03-2015, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Tomorrow i will give back the car to my dealer and we will order a brand new Audi Q%. It seems that the car came with too much refrigerant which maybe caused a leakage. We had various problems with the healthness of throath,nose, "paranasal sinuses".
Old 11-03-2015, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dealer did this to my car: Turn recirculate on... then turn the heater up on full blast for at least a half an hour, then change the filer.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by q5driver2014
Hello,

Thank you very much

"Vaporizers? Sir, my first job was programming binary loadlifters—very similar to your vaporizers in most respects."

Quick Reply: howto clean the air condition vaporizer by myself?