Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Humming under throttle at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Humming under throttle at highway speeds

Hello,

Looking for some input. 2013 Q5 3.0T, 42 k (km) on it. On the highway, I've got this humming that has been getting louder. Loudest when accelerating or going up hill, then disappears as soon as you let off the throttle. Mentioned it when I bought it it for its 40 k service. They were able to replicate it, weren't sure what it was but said it wasn't normal. Loudest on hot days, takes a while to start being noticeable on colder days.

They swapped out the tires/wheels made no difference. The swapped the exhaust, no difference. Put everything back the way it was and said they'd get audi canada involved.

Brought it back, the rep said centre diff. They replaced that, no difference, maybe even louder now. FYI, the diff has been updated, it now has some sort of harmonic balancer on it they say. Anyhow, now they're going to replace the transmission. I have my doubts it's that, they're waiting for the part to come in. It sounds like the humming/gear noise I used to hear while on the school bus!!

Does anyone have any experience with this??? I'm getting pretty fed up!
Old 09-28-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it goes away when letting off the throttle, that rules out transmission in my book unless you're shifting to neutral. I guess it could still be tranny if it's an issue under load. Is there any vibration or just an auditory difference?
Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No vibration...time will tell I guess with what happens after they replace the transmission.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume they checked the obvious culprits, especially something as simple as a loose cable vibrating when subjected to a firm airflow, a loose panel, and other sources of wind noise.
Old 09-28-2014, 10:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You can try topping up the power steering fluid as well. It may sound totally crazy but it fixed a similar problem in my Civic a while ago.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you checked wheel bearings?
Old 09-29-2014, 03:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm assuming they checked all obvious things like bearings, panels, etc, etc. It's all warranty work so other than the inconvenience I don't really care all that much but my patience is starting to decrease.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What about rear diff? I seem to recall a few of those going bad, i/e., noisy.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update: New transmission installed this week, noise is still there, they still have the car. 7 visits and counting...about 3 weeks total time for this issue. I'm thinking of getting audi canada involved and getting out of this car into something else. This is getting ridiculous. Actual quote from the service advisor: "The good news is that we're running out of drivetrain parts to replace, so we're getting close"
Old 07-23-2016, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default How did you go?

Hi. I know you posted this a while ago but just in case you are still in the Audi Family, did you ever get to the bottom of this???

Cheers,
Mick (From Australia)

Originally Posted by jmmdmd
Hello,

Looking for some input. 2013 Q5 3.0T, 42 k (km) on it. On the highway, I've got this humming that has been getting louder. Loudest when accelerating or going up hill, then disappears as soon as you let off the throttle. Mentioned it when I bought it it for its 40 k service. They were able to replicate it, weren't sure what it was but said it wasn't normal. Loudest on hot days, takes a while to start being noticeable on colder days.

They swapped out the tires/wheels made no difference. The swapped the exhaust, no difference. Put everything back the way it was and said they'd get audi canada involved.

Brought it back, the rep said centre diff. They replaced that, no difference, maybe even louder now. FYI, the diff has been updated, it now has some sort of harmonic balancer on it they say. Anyhow, now they're going to replace the transmission. I have my doubts it's that, they're waiting for the part to come in. It sounds like the humming/gear noise I used to hear while on the school bus!!

Does anyone have any experience with this??? I'm getting pretty fed up!

Quick Reply: Humming under throttle at highway speeds