Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today

Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today

I love my Lexus. Quiet, mostly smooth. But for some reason the Q5 got under my skin and after hours of reading here and other places I went and drove a 2.0T Q5 with Bang & O, MMI, side mirror heat, and active blind spot tech and I really liked it.

I have some equity in my car and would most likely lease.

I did not get a chance to do any highway driving, but I was nicely impressed with the 4 banger. Have had V6's my last 4 cars. The 8 speed trans is also intriguing.

I have great luck with cars and it seemed very well built. And the Quattro would be good in bad weather.

Anyways, I must be a bit crazy as I really do not need a new car but I like the new tech and Audi I think is really coming into their own.

I was going to also drive an A4 but the Q5 is really what I need.

Thanks for listening. Seems like a really fun car! I will drive it again and bring a friend to get a second opinion.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

All the Q5s are so much more "drivers' cars" than the RX. I hope we can welcome you over to this side in the near future. Steve
Old 01-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just based on the one short test drive it is tempting. I need to take it one the highway to see how it behaves there. The salesman told me it has very low RPM's at cruising speed. I like that.

I never had a turbo. One used to always hear about Turbo Lag. Not so much anymore. It will be interesting to see how it behaves.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sub question: I drove one with 19 inch wheels. Any big difference in handling between the 18 inch or 20 inch? Thnaks. I find the different size wheels to be a bit much. Is it just looks why people get them?
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Just based on the one short test drive it is tempting. I need to take it one the highway to see how it behaves there. The salesman told me it has very low RPM's at cruising speed. I like that.
The 8-speed's awesome like that. If it says anything, in D mode it'll put you into 8th as low as 45mph. I think 2000rpm in 8th is around 80mph or so. Nice and low for fuel economy and noise purposes, and especially the 2.0T and TDI have their power bands start nice and low (the 3.0T's not bad, either, though).

I never had a turbo. One used to always hear about Turbo Lag. Not so much anymore. It will be interesting to see how it behaves.
Didn't notice any real turbo lag in my test drive of a 2.0T, but the issue that people tend to get hung up on is "transmission lag", where in D mode there's some delay in between you pushing the pedal and the car really starting to take off. S mode eliminates any delay there, though, so it's just a matter of programming (D for relaxed driving, I figure).

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Sub question: I drove one with 19 inch wheels. Any big difference in handling between the 18 inch or 20 inch? Thnaks. I find the different size wheels to be a bit much. Is it just looks why people get them?
Bigger wheels will mean smaller tires and so a slightly firmer ride usually. Not sure just how much difference it makes, but my 19s seem reasonable. Firm, but not harsh. That could partly be how much air is in the tires, though (didn't bleed all the shipping air out, but it also got cold around here so the pressure would've dropped regardless). Didn't notice much firmness in the 18s when I test drove a 2.0T, and at least with S-Line there's been cautions of the ride being firm on the 20s, but the suspension's a little different there, too, which can change the ride a little.

But looks is pretty much the main reason why people tend to go for one size vs. another (have the right "balance" for the car). Somewhat the handling changes, as well, since firmer sidewalls can help improve cornering feel and such, but mostly looks.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! I appreciate the response. As I am sure most here know, there is alot that goes into buying a car.

I will also need to decide between sports and comfort seats at some point. I think I will start with the 18 inch wheels and save some $$$. Could always add bigger ones later.

Also, I will be getting one without the sunroof. Already decided that. I never use the darn things. And figure it has to be a little bit quieter without one.

That said, it is a really neat sunroof.

I will be driving it again on Saturday.

And If I go ahead,after building the car I want, I will then need to get the best deal
Old 01-09-2014, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think of D as the fuel-sipping freeway cruising mode and S as "normal driving". I also use the paddles and M mode quit a bit. It feels natural to drop it a couple of gears to get the rpm up enough to engine brake, possibly with a little pedal assist, then when accelerating again it has plenty of power as the turbo is running. The 2.0T is really pretty impressive if you keep the rpms up.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, the word that came to me is "peppy". I am mostly around town and off the line type of driver. I also noticed that the turning radius was INCREDIBLE!

I am very scared I am talking myself into this car. No need for the salesman to get involved
Old 01-09-2014, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Go for it!

I'm a new owner of a Q5 and I absolutely love it!

By far the best SUV I test drove.

I tried the Lexus, MB GLK, BMW X3, Acura RDX, Infinity EX/FX, Volvo XC 60.

Top notch interior and beautiful exterior with the LED lights, cant go wrong.

What color are you looking at getting(inside and out)?

I got the Glacier White with the Sline Black Optics package. If I was not going to get the Sline package I think I would have opted for a dark color Q5. A dark color Q5 looks better with the chrome accents vs a lighter color IMO.

I love the chestnut brown interior, take a look at the gallery link in my signature. That I would not change no matter what color I would have gone with.

Last edited by mwaarna; 01-09-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mwaarna
Go for it!

I'm a new owner of a Q5 and I absolutely love it!

By far the best SUV I test drove.

I tried the Lexus, MB GLK, BMW X3, Acura RDX, Infinity EX/FX, Volvo XC 60.

Top notch interior and beautiful exterior with the LED lights, cant go wrong.

What color are you looking at getting(inside and out)?

I got the Glacier White with the Sline Black Optics package. If I was not going to get the Sline package I think I would have opted for a dark color Q5. A dark color Q5 looks better with the chrome accents vs a lighter color IMO.

I love the chestnut brown interior, take a look at the gallery link in my signature. That I would not change no matter what color I would have gone with.
I am going to the dealer tomorrow at 2:30 to lease a Q5, so excited, can't wait, and you have the color combo I want, white with the chestnut brown leather interior. I am hoping it doesn't take forever for them to locate this combo. I almost went Infiniti, but, after driving the Q5.......nevermind.
Oh happy day!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I currently own a 2012 RX350 and drove a Q5 today