Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

If you haven't bought an oil dipstick yet...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dassq5
Excellent, thanks for the assist!
Old 02-04-2016, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got this. Dealership tech set the slider to the correct value for our 2015 Q5. Slider could be set for other Audi vehicles.

Sealey VS600ED Audi Engine Dipstick 600mm | eBay
Old 02-04-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Russkii
Got this. Dealership tech set the slider to the correct value for our 2015 Q5. Slider could be set for other Audi vehicles.

Sealey VS600ED Audi Engine Dipstick 600mm | eBay
I would be careful with that one. The Audi service rep and tech showed me that one. It is NOT to be left in the car. The others available through ECS and EuropaParts are meant to be left in.

However, you are right in that it could be used by our TDI brethren (and sisters) on an as needed basis to tell if the MMI is lying.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me too, almost 1yr ago:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...stick-2879673/

I've since purchased a dipstick, and sleep much better at nights.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dassq5
I would be careful with that one. The Audi service rep and tech showed me that one. It is NOT to be left in the car. The others available through ECS and EuropaParts are meant to be left in.

However, you are right in that it could be used by our TDI brethren (and sisters) on an as needed basis to tell if the MMI is lying.
Thanks for the link to the dipstick. Just picked one up after reading about some of the experiences here with the MMI.

Does leaving this in all the time create any problems or compromise anything? I was thinking the dipstick would be good to keep in the car (as in the trunk) and if I have the MMI telling me something, I could just check the oil level with the dipstick, but not leave it in all the time. Is that a bad idea?

Last edited by metta; 02-04-2016 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by metta
I was thinking the dipstick would be good to keep in the car (as in the trunk) and if I have the MMI telling me something, I could just check the oil level with the dipstick, but not leave it in all the time. Is that a bad idea?
Best idea. I've had a dipstick from the beginning, throw mine in vehicle when on a road trip..
Old 02-05-2016, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the link to the dipstick. Just picked one up after reading about some of the experiences here with the MMI.

Does leaving this in all the time create any problems or compromise anything? I was thinking the dipstick would be good to keep in the car (as in the trunk) and if I have the MMI telling me something, I could just check the oil level with the dipstick, but not leave it in all the time. Is that a bad idea?
Unless it can cause an issue, why not just leave it in the motor?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

No problem at all leaving the dipstick in the motor all the time. I was cautioning Russki specifically as the link he sent is for the Audi technician dipstick which is a long length of steel ribbon with a slider attached and is meant to check oil levels on all Audi models (you move the slider to different positions depending on motor). It CANNOT be left in.

the ones sold by ECS and EuropaParts are meant to be left in all the time.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2014 2.0. I bought my oil dipstick one week later from the dealer. At the time ECS would have been a bit more expensive ( now they would be MUCH more expensive).

Dipsticks are reliable things. No electronics, no moving parts, will still give a reasonably accurate reading regardless of temperature, no 2 minute wait.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Unless it can cause an issue, why not just leave it in the motor?
For the 2.0 motor you can leave it in. Early on I heard conflicting opinions so I played it safe....

Quick Reply: If you haven't bought an oil dipstick yet...