Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Improving Bang and Olufsen Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Pete-
The stock AMI in my 2014 beats the stock AM radio in my old Ford hands down. Of course, the got quickly upgraded. And the upgraded (radio and speakers) in my last riceburner didn't cost me anywhere near $300 let alone thousands, but I'm afraid it did outperform the Q5.
The Q5's stick system, even with that alleged subwoofer cluttering up the placebo tire, just has no bass response. I know bass, and this ain't it. And that probably means the head unit, the AMI system itself, just can't supply bass OR for that matter, good treble.
Most "older" customers don't want the one and can't hear the other, so even on upgraded systems like the MMI, it often isn't there.
The Q5 stock system isn't bad, good car stereos are so cheap to manufacture that I don't think anyone still bothers with an outright bad one. I remember around 1980, when "aftermarket" was first happening big, I played a metal tape of the Telearc recording of the 1812 Overture in a car that had a "its just as good as the Delco from the factory" radio. Nope. When the canon went CRUMP the radio actually went silent. It couldn't handle the bass.
That same recording of the 1812, and a few others from similar sources, are still used by folks who really want to test out a stereo system. I suppose I could transfer it to CD and find out just how badly the Q5 will behave, heheh. I'd strongly encourage anyone who wants to interrogate their radio to look that up on the web, audiophiles argue that the LP version still has more dynamic range than the newer CDs!
But I bought the car because it has an engine and tires and stuff like that. The radio, like the stock paint colors, I was willing to compromise more on.
Old 04-18-2015, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
And that probably means the head unit, the AMI system itself, just can't supply bass
Or that you can't expect true bass response from a 6 inch driver installed in crappy enclosure.

good car stereos are so cheap to manufacture that I don't think anyone still bothers with an outright bad one.
The problem is finding space in the cabin for large enough speakers to produce full frequency response. Space is at a premium.

On top of it, large speakers weigh more, and nowadays manufacturers try to keep the weight down to achieve that extra 0.0001 mpg for CAFE requirements.

On a semi-related note, ever noticed that today's TV speakers sound like crap? It's because today's very thin flat panels just don't have room for proper speaker enclosures.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't own my SQ5 for a month before I put a sub in it. Temporarily have a low profile 10" Rockford Fosgate powered unit in the cargo area. When my factory tires wear out I can get run flats and put something beefier in the spare space.....but the little 10" does amazing things for the sound.

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
Or that you can't expect true bass response from a 6 inch driver installed in crappy enclosure.

The problem is finding space in the cabin for large enough speakers to produce full frequency response. Space is at a premium.

On top of it, large speakers weigh more, and nowadays manufacturers try to keep the weight down to achieve that extra 0.0001 mpg for CAFE requirements.

On a semi-related note, ever noticed that today's TV speakers sound like crap? It's because today's very thin flat panels just don't have room for proper speaker enclosures.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
Didn't own my SQ5 for a month before I put a sub in it. Temporarily have a low profile 10" Rockford Fosgate powered unit in the cargo area. When my factory tires wear out I can get run flats and put something beefier in the spare space.....but the little 10" does amazing things for the sound.
See, I've heard this a couple of times, now..."a better Subwoofer makes the *sound* better"...

Do you guys mean, it makes **all** of the sound sound better, or just improves the low-end bass?

Not that I'm against throwing in a low-pro sub in place of the stock one, mind you.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't disagree with you, Pete. But I would note that the largest speakers I ever had were 6x9" ovals, never needed a subwoofer, and the last car had only a pair of 5-6" round ones in the back and two smaller ones up front.

In the 70's you HAD to have at least 10" woofers in a home system...now Bose claims they can do the same thing with 4" speakers and "tuned ports". Musta been the laws of physics that changed somewhere along the way. I didn't get the memo...I never get the memo.(G)
Old 04-18-2015, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I don't disagree with you, Pete. But I would note that the largest speakers I ever had were 6x9" ovals,
Yes, 6x9s can deliver pretty well-rounded bass, provided the interior volume isn't too large - see previous posts in this thread about this. Besides, I don't think there are any 6x9 speakers in the Q5.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

When the sub is dialed in correctly, it gives me the bottom end I want, without having to turn the bass up. I can let the other speakers handle their own range without muddying up the sound by cranking up the bass level. I usually have the bass set at flat and the treble at +1 and if I have a decent source, it sounds pretty damn good!

Originally Posted by Saintsfanatik
See, I've heard this a couple of times, now..."a better Subwoofer makes the *sound* better"...

Do you guys mean, it makes **all** of the sound sound better, or just improves the low-end bass?

Not that I'm against throwing in a low-pro sub in place of the stock one, mind you.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't disagree with you, Pete. But I would note that the largest speakers I ever had were 6x9" ovals, never needed a subwoofer, and the last car had only a pair of 5-6" round ones in the back and two smaller ones up front.

In the 70's you HAD to have at least 10" woofers in a home system...now Bose claims they can do the same thing with 4" speakers and "tuned ports". Musta been the laws of physics that changed somewhere along the way. I didn't get the memo...I never get the memo.(G)

No, laws of physics didn't change. There is no replacement for displacement.

Bose is just good at marketing to people who don't know better.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Bose may be able to get 50Hz out of a 4" woofer with lots of travel, mounted in what amounts to some type of bandpass labyrinth enclosure....but the band would be pretty narrow, and without moving much air the sound waves might be heard, but only at certain volumes.The big thing is that you wouldnt feel them in your chest, as in a live performance. I'm not talking about stupid hip hop distorted loud, but just normal volumes. Go to a local bar where a good band is playing....it's the driving bass you feel that makes you want to dance....same thing with jazz....That upright bass fiddle makes a sound that can be felt as well as heard.
So Bose's technology may be good for a doctors office playing background music, but it just won't do for my music.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
No, laws of physics didn't change. There is no replacement for displacement.

Bose is just good at marketing to people who don't know better.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by USAVAGEU
So Bose's technology may be good for a doctors office playing background music, but it just won't do for my music.
AFAIK, Bose applies heavy equalization to most of their audio systems (if you can even call it that). They bump up the midbass which to an untrained ear may sound impressive, but all it does is just creates huge unnatural spikes and valleys in the frequency spectrum.

Quick Reply: Improving Bang and Olufsen Stereo