Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Inconsistent oil reading MMI and dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inconsistent oil reading MMI and dipstick

I just bought a dipstick for my 2013 Q5 2.0T from ECS, Audi Q5 Quattro 2.0T - 06J115611E - Engine Oil Dipstick - ES#2662893, I checked the oil level both when cold and when warm(car off for 15min) and I am getting an oil level way above max, it is nearly to where the twist stops in the dipstick. MMI shows the oil level at max. Has this happened to anyone?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yemff
I just bought a dipstick for my 2013 Q5 2.0T from ECS, Audi Q5 Quattro 2.0T - 06J115611E - Engine Oil Dipstick - ES#2662893, I checked the oil level both when cold and when warm(car off for 15min) and I am getting an oil level way above max, it is nearly to where the twist stops in the dipstick. MMI shows the oil level at max. Has this happened to anyone?
My MMI and dipstick readings have always matched perfectly.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Who changed your oil?

Originally Posted by yemff
It could be overfilled, the MMI only reports overfills in steps, and you may just not have gone above the oil level sensor threshold to trigger the MMI over fill.

The only way to really know if your dipstick and MMI indicate correctly is to change the oil yourself, and add the exact correct amount, and then look that the dip stick/MII correlation.

Many dealers have been known for overfilling because the suck the oil out of the dipstick tube in a hurry and not remove all the old oil.

I change my own oil and my dipstick/MMI correlate perfectly.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Correct dipstick

You've got the correct dipstick. When I change oil and add the specified volume of new oil, the dipstick reads at the twist above the nominal oil level measurement section. I was concerned about seeing this after the first dealer oil change, but I've learned that this is OK.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
It could be overfilled, the MMI only reports overfills in steps, and you may just not have gone above the oil level sensor threshold to trigger the MMI over fill.

The only way to really know if your dipstick and MMI indicate correctly is to change the oil yourself, and add the exact correct amount, and then look that the dip stick/MII correlation.

Many dealers have been known for overfilling because the suck the oil out of the dipstick tube in a hurry and not remove all the old oil.

I change my own oil and my dipstick/MMI correlate perfectly.
Yeah makes sense, I just got the car, and the last service was done by the dealer at 25k, 27k on the car now. Ill probably end up draining it.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

yemff, I also just received my oil dipstick from ECS Tuning. The handle, rod and tip appear to be all plastic. I was expecting the rod and tip to be metal. Is yours the same material? If so then we have to use only when the oil is cold to warm, not hot. And I would be afraid to have it remain in the dipstick tube while driving. I have emailed ESC sales to confirm the material for the rod and tip.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

The dealers do have, or are supposed to have, a specially calibrated dipstick. There's a brass "****" on a screw threaded section, so they can adjust the "length" of the dipstick and measure that in millimeters from the tip to the brass stop.

They are supposed to use this to confirm the exact oil level in the car if there is any reason to question it.

I'd suggest picking a convenient time and asking your dealer to please check the level, that you think it has been overfilled. Then afterwards, use your own dipstick, note the level hot and cold as it is shown there, and you'll know for sure that is accurate.

Well, assuming the dealer has used his tool properly.(G)
Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gojones
yemff, I also just received my oil dipstick from ECS Tuning. The handle, rod and tip appear to be all plastic. I was expecting the rod and tip to be metal. Is yours the same material? If so then we have to use only when the oil is cold to warm, not hot. And I would be afraid to have it remain in the dipstick tube while driving. I have emailed ESC sales to confirm the material for the rod and tip.
Mine is all metal(black) with a plastic yellow handle. I think the 3.0T dipstick has plastic on the tip and has an orange handle. So the dealer ended up overfilling my oil by more than a half quart, apparently you can be a good amount over max without getting the overfill warning, so be weary of dealer changes, I doubt they drain the oil completely, and end up just putting in the recommended amount without checking if its over full. MMI and dipstick now show right below max.

Last edited by yemff; 04-19-2015 at 10:46 AM.