Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Infamous B Pillar Tick/Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't doubt that some folks may have different issues with the B pillar but this "tick" documented here on both the passenger and driver's side:

was exactly my main "tick" sound on both sides of my new Q5 as well. Listen closely at 0:30 and beyond when they pan to the driver's side to hear it very clearly.

Now listen to this "hinge noise" of a laptop-like device ticking.

I know it's not comparing apples to apples but really, listen to how very similar the "ticking" sounds are. Hinges folks. Hinges. I realize that the hinge is closed when driving but the tightness will still produce this noise.

I'm just emphasizing the anyone having this tick that can't resolve it themselves or have had it serviced unsuccessfully should ABSOLUTELY have the dealer look at the rear door hinges as a cause. Seriously. I talked to another owner personally who had his car serviced 4 times for this "tick" and they only ever treated the trim on the inside and outside and were never able to resolve it. The person I spoke with had *both* pieces of rear gloss trim replaced with felt applied to the trim prior to install and to the door metal underneath -- with no luck in eliminating the noise on hot days.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same tick as in your video, and I think it's the rear window that is chattering. I was able to reach back there and touch the top of the glass, and the noise stops.

Seems like we're chasing our tails here lol.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Others may disagree but I'm convinced 100% that the tick you hear in the video is the rear door hinges -- most likely the top.

Any pressure you put on the door, the window, the door trim either outward or inward to "stop" the noise is putting just enough tension on the hinge and preventing it from creaking/ticking. I jammed a piece of cardboard in my weatherstripping and shut the door on it while it was ticking like crazy one day after getting underway in the hot sun and the sound completely stopped. Pulled out the cardboard and it started right back up. When I narrowed it down to the hinge a few days ago I did so by inspecting my vehicle after sitting for hours in the sun and heat. No driving at all. Just barely opening the door about 1/2 inch or pushing on the leading edge of the door skin got it ticking. The minute I applied pressure to the hinge pin of the top rear door hinge while it was ticking, the tick completely stopped. When I released it, the tick started again. Apply pressure, it stopped. Release, started. As soon as the vehicle cools down though from a few minutes of driving the tick goes away on its own every time. It is absolutely temperature dependent.

I saturated my rear door hinges over and over with silicone spray. It silenced the tick permanently for me. You may want to try a more robust penetrating oil like WD-40 or Kroil or PB or something similar... but be patient. You can't spray and go and expect it to be gone. Let it sit on there overnight... maybe a couple nights of repeat application. If this STILL doesn't work then you can try lightly tapping the top of the hinge pin a bit carefully with a small hammer and wood scrap just to give it some further inspiration to stop ticking. You won't see it move or anything but sometimes the slight shock is enough to help it along too. If all this fails, try replacing the rear door hinges. If under warranty, point the dealer in this direction or they'll likely never think of looking at it -- as history seems to dictate.

Again, I'm just talking about the tick that I had and was documented in that video.

Originally Posted by Speedooooo
I have the same tick as in your video, and I think it's the rear window that is chattering. I was able to reach back there and touch the top of the glass, and the noise stops.

Seems like we're chasing our tails here lol.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default ughhhhhhhhhhh

So the "tick" came back with the hot weather but I reverted to a previous method which worked 100% but didn't seem very "clean" at the time to me. I've since exhausted every other idea I can think of and this is now the easiest and "cleanest" workaround IMO.

I simply got some 1/2 x 3/4 inch solid foam EPDM molding with adhesive foam backing and installed a 6 inch or so piece on the inside edge of the rear door to create a bit of tension on the "ticking" hinge when it's closed. It keeps it from ticking/creaking/making any noise in the hottest of weather. I'd tested and had this working a while back but tried to address the hinge directly to no avail despite the numerous lubrication attempts. My previous attempts must have only worked due to exercising the door so much while lubing it. Once it sat for a solid day or so without being opened, the tick came back.

This dead horse is so beaten now it's not even funny. I just wanted to leave this as yet another easy DIY for anyone else to run with and try. It's worked for me prior and now again for two days in the extreme heat and sun. You could probably use any sort of dense, high quality foam that compresses some. I ordered a small roll of the EPDM foam online. I think the size is important though, it should be about 1/2 thick and at least 1/2 wide.

The photo illustrates where it was installed on the driver-side rear door and where it presses against the chassis once the door is closed. It doesn't interfere with door closure at all nor how the door seals when closed.

Originally Posted by cruzinaround
Others may disagree but I'm convinced 100% that the tick you hear in the video is the rear door hinges -- most likely the top.

Any pressure you put on the door, the window, the door trim either outward or inward to "stop" the noise is putting just enough tension on the hinge and preventing it from creaking/ticking. I jammed a piece of cardboard in my weatherstripping and shut the door on it while it was ticking like crazy one day after getting underway in the hot sun and the sound completely stopped. Pulled out the cardboard and it started right back up. When I narrowed it down to the hinge a few days ago I did so by inspecting my vehicle after sitting for hours in the sun and heat. No driving at all. Just barely opening the door about 1/2 inch or pushing on the leading edge of the door skin got it ticking. The minute I applied pressure to the hinge pin of the top rear door hinge while it was ticking, the tick completely stopped. When I released it, the tick started again. Apply pressure, it stopped. Release, started. As soon as the vehicle cools down though from a few minutes of driving the tick goes away on its own every time. It is absolutely temperature dependent.

I saturated my rear door hinges over and over with silicone spray. It silenced the tick permanently for me. You may want to try a more robust penetrating oil like WD-40 or Kroil or PB or something similar... but be patient. You can't spray and go and expect it to be gone. Let it sit on there overnight... maybe a couple nights of repeat application. If this STILL doesn't work then you can try lightly tapping the top of the hinge pin a bit carefully with a small hammer and wood scrap just to give it some further inspiration to stop ticking. You won't see it move or anything but sometimes the slight shock is enough to help it along too. If all this fails, try replacing the rear door hinges. If under warranty, point the dealer in this direction or they'll likely never think of looking at it -- as history seems to dictate.

Again, I'm just talking about the tick that I had and was documented in that video.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:05 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

This IS frustrating. But FWIW, your efforts aren't in vain. We also suffer from this damn squeak and your insight is pretty useful. Thank you again.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been rattle free for about a week now. Since putting pressure on the hinge and trim seem to help, I tried something different. I moved the door latch inwards about 1-2mm. This is the silver latch on the frame of the car, not the door itself. Don't move it up or down, just towards the interior of the car. By moving it, the door actually shuts much more tightly and solidly.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Great to hear! You basically read my mind. I have a triplesquare bit set and a nice big torque wrench on delivery as we speak! I had the same idea! I figured 1-2 mm inward was worth the test and wouldn't make any visual difference in the door/body depth alignment once the door was shut. And... an easy DIY worth trying!

Thanks much!

Mind if I ask what year your Q5 is?

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
I have been rattle free for about a week now. Since putting pressure on the hinge and trim seem to help, I tried something different. I moved the door latch inwards about 1-2mm. This is the silver latch on the frame of the car, not the door itself. Don't move it up or down, just towards the interior of the car. By moving it, the door actually shuts much more tightly and solidly.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
What size star shaped drive bit did you use? It's way bigger than I have in my tool box.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's a triplesquare M8. I won't lie, I didn't know what a triplesquare bit was until I looked it up. It's not torx... it's a different pattern.

I tried moving them in a mm or so. I noticed that both sides of mine where pretty much at their maximum travel inward from the factory. Will report back on my tick.

Took me about 5 minutes each side.

Originally Posted by nate704
What size star shaped drive bit did you use? It's way bigger than I have in my tool box.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I could have gone just a bit further but I checked the door seam to make sure the chrome molding line and door edge were properly aligned with the body and didn't look like s*** from the door closing TOO tight.

Originally Posted by cruzinaround
It's a triplesquare M8. I won't lie, I didn't know what a triplesquare bit was until I looked it up. It's not torx... it's a different pattern.

I tried moving them in a mm or so. I noticed that both sides of mine where pretty much at their maximum travel inward from the factory. Will report back on my tick.

Took me about 5 minutes each side.

Quick Reply: Infamous B Pillar Tick/Squeak