Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Interior Footwell LED Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 01:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Footwell LED Bulb

Does anyone know which type of LED bulb is used for the Footwell Lighting? I've searched all over and can't find the answer. I know that my 2016 comes with stock LED Footwell Lights, but i'm trying to swap them out for something Brighter. I just purchased the Carista App and i'm using the Footwell Option, but the light is still very low. Even when I increase the brightness on the MMI it's still dim. I would like to purchase a VLED Bulb, to match the rest of my VLEDS if Possible. Price is not a factor. Any Help would be very much Appreciated.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by paulti
Does anyone know which type of LED bulb is used for the Footwell Lighting? I've searched all over and can't find the answer. I know that my 2016 comes with stock LED Footwell Lights, but i'm trying to swap them out for something Brighter. I just purchased the Carista App and i'm using the Footwell Option, but the light is still very low. Even when I increase the brightness on the MMI it's still dim. I would like to purchase a VLED Bulb, to match the rest of my VLEDS if Possible. Price is not a factor. Any Help would be very much Appreciated.
The footwell light housing at first glance look identical to the lights in the trunk that are incandescent. Its possible to open the incandescent light housings in the trunk and put an led bulb inside of them but I *believe* that the LED ones in the footwell have an actual circuitboard inside that cant be swapped.

I *think* you would need to change the footwell lights to the same light housings as the trunk and then swap in your own bulb. The caveat to that is the LED and incandescent housings use different connectors on the ends. Also, the footwell lights are provisioned for LED power draw. If you swap in incandescent housings with incandescent style (shaped) LED bulbs that are designed to show the same power draw as an incandescent light bulb, then you will need to have the car coded as such. Someone else with more knowledge will need to speak up on that one.

LED Housing - 4E0947415A
Mating connector - 8E0972623
Repair wire for connector - 000979018E

Incandescent Housing - 4B0947415A
Mating connector - 893971632
Repair wire for connector - 000979021E
Old 10-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Brother. Yea I figured it would be complicated. I actually did find a website that says they sell the bulbs, but I'm not sure if I trust it. Seems like some people had luck with it and some not. Here's the link.
New LED Footwells for Audi models that are equipped with OEM LED Footwells ? deAutoKey

I may try and order it, and see if it works, if not I guess I can just return it. But thanks for the reply and Info, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know if this link works.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At max brightness whilst driving around at night, they are REALLY bright. Almost to the point of being very distracting. I don't see why you would want them any brighter.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are you talking about the stock LED lights? Because they are barely visible, No where near Distractable when you turn them on full strength thru the MMI. I was going to swap them for Brighter LED's and just keep them on a low setting thru the MMI. What's the point of having them on at night when you can't even see them?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I ordered the full LED kit from deAuto Key, including the footwell ones, the work perfectly as well as all the other ones, I think the whole kit was about $100 and includes lights for the doors, footwells... They are great!!
Old 10-05-2015, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

My question would be "what is the point of having brighter lights on at all at night when you are driving?" What is there to look at down there? The stock are perfectly bright enough to look for something when you are parked....but as in all things, each to their own...
Old 10-05-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The interior footwell lights only come on when you open the doors, so have a brighter light allows you to more easily find things that have dropped on the floor, under the seats, etc. the visor lights allow ladies to have better lighting to check themselves out👗👗💄💄
Old 10-06-2015, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't get me wrong...I have full LED in my car but the hassle for the footwell lights for the one in a thousand time I may need additional light just wasn't worth it...for me. I have the Audi cigarette lighter torch for that!
Old 10-06-2015, 01:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I actually found a place that has the replacement LED bulbs for the Footwells. They weren't that expensive either. I should have them by the Weekend. I'll post a couple pics and you guys can make fun of me then. Hahaha

Quick Reply: Interior Footwell LED Bulb