Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 09:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior LED swap DIY with Pics

Old 10-29-2011, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior LED swap DIY with Pics

Hey guys...I purchased the LED interior kit from A&A Euro Tuning (http://www.aaeurotuning.com) and installed them this afternoon. Took me about 90 minutes to do them all only because I had my laptop reading threads trying to find out instructions.

I figured I would do a write up with pictures since that would have helped me. So..here it goes...

First off....with each change, turn on the light to make sure you have the right polarity so you don't have to go through this twice.

I actually had a hard time finding the right tool. I didn't have a plastic tool with the right dimensions. I had tweezers and all different sizes of screwdrivers. A cheap pumpkin carving tool actually turned out to be the best tool I had (don't ask but it just happened to by out and about). It was very thin at the tip, flimsy enough not to do any damage but just rigid enough to pry open (had almost a plastic feel to it).

Started with the front map / dome. Open up the sunglasses holder and look up. You will see a T20 screw. Remove screw. Once you have that screw out, the whole housing will come down.

Once you have the housing down (I didn't unclick any power wires. Just let it hang down). You will see the following:

For the bulbs that have the plastic cover....just push the cover out with your fingers (from inside the housing out to the outside). Once you have the cover out, it's really easy to switch those 2 bulbs.

Name:  photo_4.jpg
Views: 4268
Size:  59.9 KB

Once you switch out those bulbs, look behind those and you will see 2 black housings. Just turn those and it will pop out. Switch the bulbs and put back in.

Name:  photo_1.jpg
Views: 4280
Size:  63.8 KB

For those who want to see the difference, here are some pics:

Name:  photo_3.jpg
Views: 4286
Size:  21.3 KB

And a pic with all the bulbs now LED:

Then I went on to the door puddle lights (The lights that are on the door lighting up the ground when opened.

First thing you want to do is "trick" the door into thinking its closed. (That way the bulb turns off when doing the switch). Just use something to push in the mechanism where the door latch would close.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 4236
Size:  60.0 KB

Then...you take your flat tool and pry open the light housing. You can see which end has the clip by looking at the lens and seeing one end have a little notch.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 4322
Size:  28.6 KB

Once you do that, you will see a black covering. (The one's in the trunk have the same black covering). Wedge the black covering off then you will see the bulb in the housing. I used the same tool to push it out from the base out.

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 6361
Size:  64.6 KB

I then went on to the Visor lights. They are the same type of housing as the door puddle lights. The clip was on the left side. Just wedge a tool in there and pry it off.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 4251
Size:  87.8 KB

These lights have an additional metal covering. Just clip those off and you will see the bulb.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 4611
Size:  73.3 KB

Just replace the bulb and viola! (make sure you open the vanity mirror to turn on the light to make sure it works).

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 5168
Size:  56.2 KB

These type of housings are also the same for the trunk and glove lights. ie: Pry open the housing on one side and switch out the bulbs. Pretty straight forward. So, I didn't take any pictures of those.

Then I went on to the rear map lights. These actually were the hardest for me only because I couldn't find any information on how to remove it. Ended up being the same as the rest. Pry it from one side (the side that is closer to the front of the car) and it will pop off.

Once out, you will see 2 black housings. Just unscrew them and take them out. Switch the bulbs and replace. Easy.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 4239
Size:  51.8 KB

Here is a picture showing the two different colors in the rear

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 4273
Size:  13.1 KB

I also changed out the fog lights to the Hoen H11 bulbs. There are other threads about that so I didn't take any pictures. I didn't want to fiddle with the front grill so I went through the wheel well. Took like 5 minutes per side.

I also did not take any pictures of the license plate change because there are other threads on that. Once you figure out the side with the clip (right side on both), it comes out pretty easy.

Anyways...hope somebody finds these informative. Love the LED look. Did it on my G35 and couldn't wait to do it on the Q.

Looks so much better with the white light.

(In 1 afternoon, I did the fog light exchange, interior LED exchange and all VAG codes I wanted changed...whats next? ideas?) Hehe

Last edited by g8tor20; 11-02-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good deal g8tor !!!

Had done the trunk, fogs, and lic plate, but ran out of time and hadn't gotten back to it !!!

may have to do it tmo afternoon - pics are much appreciated !
Old 10-29-2011, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome DIY!! Thanks!!
Old 10-30-2011, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

very nice write up! Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Excellent! Write Up, Very much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work but needs pics of the LED bulbs themselves and power rating. Even a pic of the kit or a link to supplier. Can you edit something into your OP please
Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I forgot to take any pictures of the bulbs. Its the same kit this poster purchased from A&A Eurotuning (except for the Q5 of course).

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=LED

Perhaps A&A can chime in with the power ratings or what not.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also changed out the fog lights to the Hoen H11 bulbs. There are other threads about that so I didn't take any pictures. I didn't want to fiddle with the front grill so I went through the wheel well. Took like 5 minutes per side.

Did you just swap out the bulbs or installed the kit as well? A&A has the kit so was curious if I needed that or just the H11's? How does it look compared to the OEM?
Old 10-31-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just replaced the bulb. The stock bulb is in its own little housing that twists right off.

I bought the Hoen ones for like $35 bucks and they come with the bulb / housing. You just turn the old housing out and put the new one in. Plug and play.

No kit.

They look pretty close. I think Johnboytoo had some pics of the result. It's as close to stock HID as I think you can get with a Non HID fog light. Close enough for me at least....
Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ronyn78

Did you just swap out the bulbs or installed the kit as well? A&A has the kit so was curious if I needed that or just the H11's? How does it look compared to the OEM?
Very Nice. I'd love to buy hoen xenonmatch bulb too but I have one question for you. you said that you went through the wheel well, how did you go through the wheel. did you unscrew some bolts? Would you explain how did you replace fog light little bit detail? Thanks allways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior LED swap DIY with Pics