Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 09:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior LED swap DIY with Pics

Old 10-31-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I replaced all interior lights (including puddles) with LEDs from tunerdomes. Very bright, no errors. Highly recommended. The only factory LED lights on 2014's are the footwell and license plate.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by koobah
I replaced all interior lights (including puddles) with LEDs from tunerdomes. Very bright, no errors. Highly recommended. The only factory LED lights on 2014's are the footwell and license plate.
The exterior mirrors also have LED puddle lights that are bright enough to light the front and rear door ground areas. Very useful when approaching at night--just do a remote unlock and presto, you can see all around the Q5.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Modified Q5 Lightbulb Holders

I'm in the process of putting in the Turnerdomes LED lights, and I was disappointed to find that many of the lightbulb holders have a black plastic housing. I bought some aluminum tape from a hardware store (heating duct supplies) and lined mine to be more reflective:

Note where I stopped the tape in the second image. Going onto the flat portion of the lightbulb holder will short out the light connections!

I expect I'll get at least 50% more light out of the new LED upgrades with this tweak, seeing as the LED inserts have light elements on both sides. Why shine an LED into a black box?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steppenaudi
I expect I'll get at least 50% more light out of the new LED upgrades with this tweak, seeing as the LED inserts have light elements on both sides. Why shine an LED into a black box?
You won't. I did the same thing on my S4, and couldn't tell the difference. Plus the LEDs are much brighter than standard bulbs anyway.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koobah
You won't. I did the same thing on my S4, and couldn't tell the difference. Plus the LEDs are much brighter than standard bulbs anyway.
Hmm.. you couldn't tell the difference, but say the LEDs are much brighter? :S
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Hmm.. you couldn't tell the difference, but say the LEDs are much brighter? :S
I could not tell the difference between LED vs LED with reflective foil. LEDs are brighter than standard bulbs. Hope this clears things up.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tuner Dome total kit Installed!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Followed the instructions on this Post. Very helpful for installation. Did it last night..

Everything was very easy EXCEPT the Rear Seat Map Lights. They were the biggest pain, everything else was very straight forward.

Very happy with the Tuner Domes.

I paid 120 shipped for the complete Q5 Set.

Complete set:

Comparison photo from the trunk:

Also a very similar thread on Interior LED Replacements:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=led

Now onto more VCDs modifications!

Last edited by mwaarna; 11-28-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks OP for the detailed info and pics! I created a PDF of your post for convenient reference; attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Audi_fog_LED_mods.pdf (1.55 MB, 310 views)
Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jubz
Thanks OP for the detailed info and pics! I created a PDF of your post for convenient reference; attached.
Thanks for the great DIY guide.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Did the LED swap-out last night; went smooth and quick. Thanks again to the OP for the DIY; really helped knowing which receptacle end to pry to pop it out along with individually testing each light re: polarity.

Man the dome LED's are bright. Though I currently have the hyperwhite's (Tuner Dome Q5 kit) in the front map lights, I just ordered a pair of the night-vision red's for a more subdued approach when not using the dome light. I'll post a pic when I get them/installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior LED swap DIY with Pics