Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

iPhone Bluetooth Connection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the similar problem as original poster. A phone call comes through MMI, I'm desperately pushing buttons without actual connectivity occurring, than phone call gets dropped. This occurs with both incoming and outgoing phone calls. With the height of my frustration this past week, I took the car to the dealership (car is only 2 months old and I am not tech savy at all). As luck would have it, MMi, phone all starting working without a problem. Whatever... Forward to today and back at it again with original problem: no MMi phone connectivity. The only thing that was showing up on MMi screen was instead of name of cell phone carrier appearing it said "network search." My understanding after visit to dealership is that if that appears they claim it's the network having problems not the car. I would buy that reasoning, but this searching mode could last up to days. I've tried unpairing/pairing. I've read the manuals. Don't know what else to do. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? If so, what was your solution? Thank you in advance.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

" if that appears they claim it's the network having problems not the car."
That's easy enough to check out. Next time you get that message, pull over. Turn off the Bluetooth on your phone, and see if the phone itself sees bars from the network. If the message is valid, coming from the phone to the car, then the phone probably will also say "NO SERVICE" or "EMERGENCY CALLS ONLY" on the phone.

If that's the case, and you are not getting service from your carrier? Did you have any window tint/film installed? Some of those also block microwaves, which block cell phones. Or your carrier might have a dead one or a tower out. Options include changing carriers (sorry) or putting something like a Wilson Electronics Cellular booster in your car. $150 (for one phone) or $400 (supports several phones at once, and twice the power).

It used to be really easy to just pop a cell phone antenna on the roof (cheap, too) but all the phone companies stopped putting external antenna plugs in their phones. All of them. So a booster is the only option now.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Last night, I updated to iOS 8.1. Now everything works perfectly. I guess it really was the phone and the operating system. Thank you to all for your suggestions and help.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by drx2
Last night, I updated to iOS 8.1. Now everything works perfectly. I guess it really was the phone and the operating system. Thank you to all for your suggestions and help.
I wrote before about twenty days to the problem is iOS
Old 10-21-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Every updated phone system, including iOS, can have issues. It's impossible for a manf. to test every possible device (or car) to ensure it's full compatibility so they anticipate that among the millions of owners these issues will be brought into the open so they can be addressed. In this case, iOS 8 had problems for some with Bluetooth connectivity. For many, rebooting the MMI and/or the phone resolved it. The quickly released iOS 8.02 supposedly had corrected these issues and the just released 8.1 should be even better. This is the way it has always been (and always will be) when a system update is installed, regardless of device brand or platform.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-23-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I have a 2012 Audi Q5 and and Iphone 6 plus. I can connect without any issue, but the static level makes it so I can NOT use it. My music works great via bluetooth. I have called apple many times and have tried all of their recommendations. Nothing has worked. They tried to blame it on Audi, but my Iphone 5 worked great on IOS 7. Audi says they are working with apple. I was hoping that the update 8.1 would fix the issue, but no luck.I have even made apple replace my phone, still no luck. I can hear the other person, but it sounds like horrible.

PLEASE HELP!!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mahermahmood
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I have a 2012 Audi Q5 and and Iphone 6 plus. I can connect without any issue, but the static level makes it so I can NOT use it. My music works great via bluetooth. I have called apple many times and have tried all of their recommendations. Nothing has worked. They tried to blame it on Audi, but my Iphone 5 worked great on IOS 7. Audi says they are working with apple. I was hoping that the update 8.1 would fix the issue, but no luck.I have even made apple replace my phone, still no luck. I can hear the other person, but it sounds like horrible.

PLEASE HELP!!
Have you tried playing with "Phone Noise Cancellation"? It's under the menu general/accessibility/.....

I have this on, but don't remember ever playing with as it may be a default setting.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was experiencing the same problems with iOS 8.02. Once I updated to iOS 8.1 the Bluetooth issues were gone. Works perfectly now.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aajad
I was experiencing the same problems with iOS 8.02. Once I updated to iOS 8.1 the Bluetooth issues were gone. Works perfectly now.
x2

iOS 8.1 fixed all the bugs.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Android BT phone issues

I'm having BT issues in my 2009 but I'm running android. I've tried 3 different phones with 3 different versions of Android and all have an issue. Strange part is that it started off working relatively well.

I think it's a hardware issue with the BT module, perhaps a loose connection. Does anyone have the schematics of where it is so I can take a look?