Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

keyless entry and car jackings

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyless entry and car jackings

There has been a rash of car-jackings in NJ recently and this prompted me to think about vehicle safety.

If you have keyless entry, you are able to walk up to the car (with key 'in-hand') and pull any door open. Can you actually lock the doors if you are inside with the key? Wouldn't anybody be able to just walk up to the car and open any of the doors because the key is near the car?

If I am running to the car and jump-in the drivers door, couldn't a car-jacker just open any of the doors to get inside?

Does Audi's system prevent this in any way?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

All modern Audis will auto lock the doors above 9 mph or, the same as any car ever made, be manually locked at any time by anyone inside the car by pushing a door lock button. The Advanced Key feature doesn't change this.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Q5 is set to unlock the drivers side only, you can change that in the MMI if you want so all doors unlock. As for your other questions, not sure.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if the keys are locked inside. the doors will not unlock
Old 04-09-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
if the keys are locked inside. the doors will not unlock
And conversely, if the key is inside, the doors will not lock from outside. Not specific to the question being asked, but FYI since we're talking about it.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
And conversely, if the key is inside, the doors will not lock from outside. Not specific to the question being asked, but FYI since we're talking about it.
I know, but some people have a habit of clicking the lock button on the door. That's when the doors will not unlock if the keys were inside
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I believe the OP's question was can one lock the doors with the advanced key inside to prevent a "car jack".
The simple answer is yes.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I tested a bunch of scenarios and here are the results:

Test 1: doors locked, FOB in pocket, try to open doors. Result: all doors and boot could be opened.
Test 2: doors locked, FOB on ground next to drivers door, try to open doors. Result: only drivers door could be opened, all other doors and boot non-responsive.
Test 3: Drivers door open, FOB inside vehicle on drivers seat, try to lock door from outside vehicle. Result: door would not lock.
Test 4: Doors locked, boot open, FOB in luggage area, try to close and lock boot. Result: boot closes but will not lock.
Test 5: Doors locked from inside, FOB inside, engine off, try to open doors from exterior. Result: all doors and boot non-responsive.
Test 6: Drivers door open, FOB inside vehicle on drivers seat, try to lock doors using interior button. Result: door locks unresponsive.

Conclusions:
1) If you accidentally leave your FOB in the car, you cannot lock the doors from the exterior or by using the interior button.
2) If you are trying to get away from bad guys and rush to your door, they will not be able to open the other doors.
3) If you are locked in you car and bad guys are trying to open the doors, they will not be able to do so.
4) If you and your passengers are trying to get away from bad guys and rush to open the car doors, only the person carrying the FOB will be able to open their door, all others will need their doors unlocked for them.

Hope this helps somebody out there.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I believe the OP's question was can one lock the doors with the advanced key inside to prevent a "car jack".
The simple answer is yes.
Right. Why didn't you say that the first time?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Mark P
Right. Why didn't you say that the first time?
Subsequent responses seemed to wander from the OP's question so I re-paraphrased what I wrote earlier. I'll try to keep my future posts as short as your's usually are.

Quick Reply: keyless entry and car jackings