Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

LED Bulb Question...Oh No, not again.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LED Bulb Question...Oh No, not again.

Finally narrowing it down on what LED bulbs to go with, but I still have some questions. As far as what to get, it seems pretty simple, and I've gathered from all the other threads:

18 - 194 T10 Flank Style Bulbs (it's an SQ, so this account for the 4 extra puddle lights...thanks to Dustin)
4 - 36mm Festoon Style Bulbs

Next...I want quality product, so I'm not going to Ebay...too much confusion.
I don't want any blue-tint, but rather a pure white. So looking at either 5000K or 6000K. Nothing about 6000K for me.

Looks like the best in the business is VLEDs...but they are CRAZY expensive. I don't mind paying for good stuff, but I think it's above and beyond that point. It's $356 for the bulbs above (and that's why a 10% coupon applied).
Does anyone actually have these bulbs to say whether they are worth it or not?

Next, I looked at Precision LED. Now...they don't list any specs as to lumens or LED technology, so I cannot compare them to VLED very well. Now...Precision's offers the latest 5730 Festoon bulb (the latest and greatest). Using those, the cost (with 15% coupon) is a hair over $150.

Finally, I've looked at Krauto. They have the new 5630 194 bulb, but I don't know if it's CANBUS or if the fitment is ok. They do NOT have the new 5730 Festoon though. Assuming the new 194's, the cost is $145...so very similar to Precision.

Are 194 usually rated as CANBUS, as I don't see that term associated with the 194 bulbs, only the Festoon. Any ideas on this?

Does anyone know the answers to any of the information I haven't been able to find?
I could buy the new 194s from Krauto and the new Festoons from Precision I suppose. That would be the best package.
VLED needs to tell me why they are worth twice the price of an already expensive set.

Update: CANBUS is not needed for interior lighting. Good to know.

Last edited by cobrar97; 11-25-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

$356 for the bulbs - Are they built in space

CAN-BUS or error free no need for indoor lighting - there is no monitoring of internal lighting. It's a marketing gimmick
Old 11-25-2014, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Spijun...they may be from space...the high price must all me shipping.
Thanks for the info on the error-free (or lack of) on the interior lighting. That helps alot, as I didn't know that. Looks like the marketing gimmick almost worked.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is also TunerDomes ( Audi LED interior car lights, Audi LED license plate light, Audi LED dome lights - TunerDomes.com - LED License Plate Lights & Car Interior Lights )... They are good quality LEDs. I'm happy with mine and I've seen a lot of other Q5 owners with them.

Last edited by - B -; 11-25-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I used VLEDS in a previous vehicle I had. They are super, super, super bright and in another league when compared to the cheap eBay LEDs (in both quality and brightness).

I used the VLEDS in the cargo area and the cheap eBay LEDS for the doors/interior on my SQ5. My goal was white light (not super bright - except the cargo area).

I am happy with my strategy.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
I used VLEDS in a previous vehicle I had. They are super, super, super bright and in another league when compared to the cheap eBay LEDs (in both quality and brightness).

I used the VLEDS in the cargo area and the cheap eBay LEDS for the doors/interior on my SQ5. My goal was white light (not super bright - except the cargo area).

I am happy with my strategy.

I'm thinking about doing VLEDS for the entire project. Not considering the cost, do you think I'll be happy with the result for the entire vehicle? I was going to go with the 5000K version. What do you think?
Old 11-27-2014, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cobrar97
I'm thinking about doing VLEDS for the entire project. Not considering the cost, do you think I'll be happy with the result for the entire vehicle? I was going to go with the 5000K version. What do you think?
VLEDS are awesome. I also used the 5000k version on my Honda Ridgeline.

Here is a link to some pics. They are SUPER bright!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...64082657482913
Old 11-28-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobrar97
Finally narrowing it down on what LED bulbs to go with, but I still have some questions. As far as what to get, it seems pretty simple, and I've gathered from all the other threads:

18 - 194 T10 Flank Style Bulbs (it's an SQ, so this account for the 4 extra puddle lights...thanks to Dustin)
4 - 36mm Festoon Style Bulbs

Next...I want quality product, so I'm not going to Ebay...too much confusion.
I don't want any blue-tint, but rather a pure white. So looking at either 5000K or 6000K. Nothing about 6000K for me.

Looks like the best in the business is VLEDs...but they are CRAZY expensive. I don't mind paying for good stuff, but I think it's above and beyond that point. It's $356 for the bulbs above (and that's why a 10% coupon applied).
Does anyone actually have these bulbs to say whether they are worth it or not?

Next, I looked at Precision LED. Now...they don't list any specs as to lumens or LED technology, so I cannot compare them to VLED very well. Now...Precision's offers the latest 5730 Festoon bulb (the latest and greatest). Using those, the cost (with 15% coupon) is a hair over $150.

Finally, I've looked at Krauto. They have the new 5630 194 bulb, but I don't know if it's CANBUS or if the fitment is ok. They do NOT have the new 5730 Festoon though. Assuming the new 194's, the cost is $145...so very similar to Precision.

Are 194 usually rated as CANBUS, as I don't see that term associated with the 194 bulbs, only the Festoon. Any ideas on this?

Does anyone know the answers to any of the information I haven't been able to find?
I could buy the new 194s from Krauto and the new Festoons from Precision I suppose. That would be the best package.
VLED needs to tell me why they are worth twice the price of an already expensive set.

Update: CANBUS is not needed for interior lighting. Good to know.
2 Things:

1) Can you provide a link to the exact ones on their site you were considering?
2) Are you sure that you estimated the price correctly? I ask because a lot of the 194 style bulbs I saw were sold in pairs.

Thanks!
Old 11-28-2014, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
VLEDS are awesome. I also used the 5000k version on my Honda Ridgeline.

Here is a link to some pics. They are SUPER bright!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...64082657482913
Thanks for the pics of the Ridgeline...that 5000K is PERFECT.

And no, I didn't estimate the price right. Most companies have the LEDs priced as singles, and I "assumed" the same with VLEDs when it clearly says PAIR...I just missed it.

So...I went ahead and ordered the VLEDs in 5000K. Totally of 22 bulbs for the SQ5. We'll see what we get.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you make sure to note that the SQ5 has TWO lights in each door (red light and white puddle light). I put red LEDs in the red one and it makes it a really nice red.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED Bulb Question...Oh No, not again.