Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

LED interior light upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So for me I bought mostly similar lights as everyone else here except for the boot (trunk) and the bottom white door lights..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Luggage-Under-Door-Courtesy-Light-Error-Free-Audi-A4-A6-S6-RS6-A8-S8-Q5-Q7-S-/310809329586?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485dadffb2&vxp=mtr
I bought these which while they are pricey at 12 bucks a pop they are bulbs in housings so they replace the whole fixture and are bright as all hell. These things light up the ground and the boot of my Q5 like no ones business. I had put the last one in the glove box for a while but it was actually a bit too bright for me so I went back to one of the other LED types in the original housing.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Charles Rea
So for me I bought mostly similar lights as everyone else here except for the boot (trunk) and the bottom white door lights..

LED Luggage Under Door Courtesy Light Error Free Audi A4 A6 S6 RS6 A8 S8 Q5 Q7 S | eBay

I bought these which while they are pricey at 12 bucks a pop they are bulbs in housings so they replace the whole fixture and are bright as all hell. These things light up the ground and the boot of my Q5 like no ones business. I had put the last one in the glove box for a while but it was actually a bit too bright for me so I went back to one of the other LED types in the original housing.
Thanks for posting this. I'm going to order these as I really want the boot area to be super bright.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

LED Luggage Under Door Courtesy Light Error Free Audi A4 A6 S6 RS6 A8 S8 Q5 Q7 S | eBay

Any pictures of the lit-up trunk?

What is the set of 2 - one on each side? Isn't there a light on the liftgate itself...?
Old 12-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pix requested.....Sorry about how dirty the Q5 is...just got back from a holiday weekend.

Garage lights were off and I turned off the flash on my camera.
Attached Images    
Old 12-03-2013, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Pix requested.....Sorry about how dirty the Q5 is...just got back from a holiday weekend.

Garage lights were off and I turned off the flash on my camera.
Very impressive. You need light in back like that.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
Any pictures of the lit-up trunk?

What is the set of 2 - one on each side? Isn't there a light on the liftgate itself...?
Yes so I put 3 in the back (which is how I ended up with a spare that I used in the glove box for a short time.)
Old 12-29-2013, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
I checked the mail after we got back from our Thanksgiving trip and my eBay LEDs were there. I put them in tonight.

The build of the lights looked pretty good. Just like the picture on eBay. I had a VLED light left over from my previous vehicle. That one had less LEDs then the eBay model. I plugged them both in to get a comparison of the brightness. I was really surprised. The VLED was noticeably brighter. ....and I mean A LOT brighter. So, the eBay LEDs definitely do not compare to the brightness of quality LEDs. However, the color was pure white and they were brighter then the stock bulbs.

The LEDs that I purchased for the doors, front map lights, rear seat lights, and cargo lights were almost too big. I had a bit of trouble on some of them to get them to fit. I did not need to do any trimming or modifications, just a bit of fidgeting and wiggling around. Here is the model I used for these locations: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271101275674...84.m1439.l2649

The LEDs that I purchased for the front courtesy lights worked great and fit perfect. Here is the model I used for this location: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281076882348...84.m1439.l2649

The LEDs that I purchased for the visor mirror lights also worked great. Here is the model I used for these locations: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271106942936...84.m1439.l2649

Overall I am satisfied. My main goal was to have a pure white light. In that respect, the eBay LEDs definitely do the job. They are brighter then the stock bulbs, although probably about half as bright as a quality LED light from VLEDS. However, they are a fraction of the cost. If a "white" light with a moderate gain in brightness is what you are looking for, then the eBay LEDs are a great option. If you want "white" and super bright, then pony up and purchase some quality LEDS from VLEDS, Precision, or the like. (My opinion)

Just FYI, for the SQ5 you will need the following quantities:

18 - T10 9 SMD (2 for each door (8), 3 for the cargo area, 4 for the rear seat lights, 2 for the front map lights, 1 for the glove box)
2 - 36mm Festoon 6 SMD (front courtesy lights)
2 - 36mm Festoon 3 SMD (visor mirror lights)

I missed the fact that the SQ5 has TWO lights for each door and had to place a second order.
Thanks for this info and specifics. I ordered these on ebay a few weeks back and installed them yesterday. I agree 100% with you. Slightly brighter and definitely a "pure" white light. For what I wanted these are perfect as I didn't want a super bright interior. That said I will probably go brighter for the cargo area. Brighter but still could be better. I was careful to wait until power to lights was off for each bulb I replaced, but forgot on glovebox as is always on when open so I blew a fuse. I should have pulled fuse first.