Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Looking to buy Q5, any potential issues to be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy Q5, any potential issues to be aware of?

Hey all,

Been lurking for a while on here and finally have a question! Recently found a Q5 I'm interested in purchasing and I wanted to ask if there are any potential issues to be aware of. Details of the car are:

2009 Q5 with Prestige package
45,000 miles

Has had all maintenance done at the Audi dealership and I have the dealership stamps to prove it. Only issue was that one injector had to be replaced about 10k miles ago.

I've also heard of carbon build up problems but I'm not sure how pervasive those are.

Any things to be aware of when getting in to one of these? Any problems that are common amongst these cars?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2009, so that's the 3.2 V6 engine, presumably?

I have seen some cases of carbon buildup reported here. Supposedly the later 3.0 supercharged engines are someone better in that respect, but even that is not 100% confirmed as they may just be too young to exhibit the issues.

I'm guessing the vehicle has no warranty?

Have you owned a German vehicle before? Sometimes the repairs can be pricy, so either have some money set aside or try to get an extended warranty for it.

Not to scare you or anything, but these cars statistically are not as reliable as the Japanese, and 2009 was the first model year, so it has a chance of being more problematic than later years.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a recall for the water pump on 2009/2010 Q5 3.2 models. Check with the dealer to ensure this was taken care of.

Last edited by petethecanuck; 09-16-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
2009, so that's the 3.2 V6 engine, presumably?

I have seen some cases of carbon buildup reported here. Supposedly the later 3.0 supercharged engines are someone better in that respect, but even that is not 100% confirmed as they may just be too young to exhibit the issues.

I'm guessing the vehicle has no warranty?

Have you owned a German vehicle before? Sometimes the repairs can be pricy, so either have some money set aside or try to get an extended warranty for it.

Not to scare you or anything, but these cars statistically are not as reliable as the Japanese, and 2009 was the first model year, so it has a chance of being more problematic than later years.
Thanks for the response, yes it was the 3.2L. I've just heard about Audi's across all lines with carbon build up issues on all their direct injection engines, wasn't sure how prevalent it was.

Yes I've owned BMW's before and while they can be more expensive at times, I like to do a lot of my own work and that saves me a lot of money. Also it comes with the territory, you gotta pay to play with the best.

No extended warranty, I don't think it's worth it.

Yea the Japanese cars are certainly more reliable, but I will accept a little less reliability to have a superiorly engineered piece of artful machinery.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by petethecanuck
There was a recall for the water pump on 2009/2010 Q5 3.2 models. Check with the dealer to ensure this was taken care of.
Exactly the type of info I was looking for, thank you!

On a side note, critics reviews/ratings all seem to be very favorable for this car. How do you all like driving the car over a longer period of time?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jblaze21
I've just heard about Audi's across all lines with carbon build up issues on all their direct injection engines, wasn't sure how prevalent it was.
This issue is common to most DI engines. It's not Audi specific. Basically the gasoline DI technology is still in its infancy and we are the guinea pigs.

Direct Injection Fouls Some Early Adopters - AutoObserver

Things are getting better, but we're not completely there yet.

As for the extended warranty... my wife bought a CPO '08 MB C300. The extended warranty has paid for itself many times over. I wish you better luck with the Q5.

Last edited by ex-quattro PETE; 09-16-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have been a loyal Audi customer both here in the US and back in the UK - where I am from originally. I love Audis and always will. However, I'm not quite sure I'd go for a Q5 second time around. Mine is a 2013 Q5 2.0T and while it is plenty quick enough, I find the turbocharger a little lethargic, the steering to be a little soulless (even compared to other A4/A5 models built with same steering unit) and just a slight air of mechanical unsureness. Can't put my finger on it but just feel it's not as reliable as my previous TT or A3.

My Q5 has been into the dealer for a couple of issues - mostly minor things like sensor recalls, or the engine light sensor turning on for no reason, or TPMS sensor on for no reason. Minor things and all covered under warranty.

I don't think I'd buy a second hand one out of warranty. Too much to go wrong and when it does, it's not cheap. What engine are you looking at? I think I'd only go for a 3.0 TDI or 3.0T or SQ5 if I were to get another Q5. I'm holding out for the next gen 2016 Q7 3.0T now.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

I do have the 09 Q5 where I got it from my father. He was going to get another Q5 and gave his to the dealer as his lease was over. So I said to myself why not to try it. I totally loved it and at once decided that I'll get that car for my wife. Also, I own an 02 A4 3.0L where I got it brand new. So you can say I'm somehow loyal to Audi. Anyhow, this car (Q5) is heavy in weight. I'm saying this because I've tried the 2.0T Q5 and though it's quicker and lighter but I didn't feel comfortable being pushed by the crossing winds whenever driving on the highway at 75mph. The only thing that I didn't like it was it's suspension was on the firm side compared to my A4. I'd the carbon build up issue at 30k miles which was done under warranty. Then at 48k miles, my front left control arm was replaced also under warranty. Now, it's almost 72k miles and I think that the same control arm will need to be replaced soon as I hear some noises and my mechanic also confirmed this. So if you are going to do most of the work on that car, then this will save you a lot of money and you can enjoy a beautiful looking Tank .
Old 09-20-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get it. It's probably 45% of original MSRP and if you can do a lot of things yourself, you'll be fine.

Ours is a '10 but built in '09 and took delivery in early September 2009. It's been a fantastic Q. 86K and never a CEL, still on original brakes. Yes they are original and Q stops as well as my newer S5. Wife drives to work on the highway. I'll probably do them before the winter, myself, for a more favorable trade-in, on a Q7 TDI.

Q had the WP and DRL modules done at 25K under warranty while in for Audicare.

Tires replaced at 72K with tire roatations by me. And plugs changed at 78K and looked in good shape, again by me. Last three oil changes have been done by me using extraction and it is the easiest oil change on any car, I've ever done.
No getting under the car, extraction done at the dipstick and filter is right on top.

Wife fills up on her way to work in NJ using Shell's V-Power. I routinely use VW/Audi fuel additive G17 and Techron. Might be snake oil to some, but the Q is silky smooth.

Torque is not its strongest point. But, when up to speed, it is a sweet ride.

Do however, get a VCDS VAG-COM cable, its worth every penny in doing diagnostics and changing some things on the car, like needle sweeps, winking off and many others.

I mention some of the things done by myself, so if you do most things yourself, you'll be fine, and will have a solid car for years to come.

Last edited by lmariorod; 09-20-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are still looking, I would highly recommend getting one. My 2010 Q5 (new in November 2009) now has 148,000 miles on it, and I still love the car like the day I drove it home. I've never had the carbon build up issue. I had the water pump replaced under warranty, and the DRL replaced under warranty. That has been it. Usual maintenance stuff like brakes and tires, oil and filters, but that is about it. Great road car, and comfortable cruising on the freeway.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy Q5, any potential issues to be aware of?