Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Looking to buy a Q5 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Q5 TDI

Hey guys,

I am new to the TDI scene, but feel it will work great with towing my Sea Doo's and getting around in the winter will be a little easier than my 2000 TT Quattro.

Long story short, the car is a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI Prestige with 91,475 miles. Asking price is $26,891. Car-Fax is clean, one owner and no accidents.

What do you guys think of the price?

Is there anything to be sure to look at with the Q5, or Q5 TDI specifically?

If the car is still available I will go there with my VCDS cable and do an auto-scan if they let me (hopefully yes...)

Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Price seems very high given the miles and the black cloud over TDIs currently.

Pricing it out on edmunds looks like its probably at least 3-4k too high - assume this is a dealer who has it for sale?
Old 08-21-2016, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
Price seems very high given the miles and the black cloud over TDIs currently.

Pricing it out on edmunds looks like its probably at least 3-4k too high - assume this is a dealer who has it for sale?
Actually it's a BMW dealer. Maybe took it on a trade in?

I just used Edmunds setting prestige package and the top condition and came out with $29,879 retail.

My zip is 06776
Old 08-21-2016, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DJmart
Actually it's a BMW dealer. Maybe took it on a trade in?

I just used Edmunds setting prestige package and the top condition and came out with $29,879 retail.

My zip is 06776
I priced it using average condition and no other options other than being a prestige trim.

If the BMW dealer took it on trade, then I'm guessing they probably low-balled the owner.

I'm still thinking there's probably 3-4k of negotiating room there.

One maintenance item to check, other than standard wear and tear items...I believe it's recommended to replace the diesel fuel filter(s) every 50k miles.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
I priced it using average condition and no other options other than being a prestige trim.

If the BMW dealer took it on trade, then I'm guessing they probably low-balled the owner.

I'm still thinking there's probably 3-4k of negotiating room there.

One maintenance item to check, other than standard wear and tear items...I believe it's recommended to replace the diesel fuel filter(s) every 50k miles.
I'll have to see the price for doing the diesel fuel filters parts and labor and see if I can add that into my negotiations to get the price down if the service wasn't performed.

So you think it's safe to offer $3k less? Or would they consider that a low ball?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

So you think it's safe to offer $3k less? Or would they consider that a low ball?
It can't hurt to try...what's the worse they can do/say?

Also, the Carfax shows the dealer has had this for sale for over 2 months so they're probably willing to negotiate at this point.

Last edited by audi40; 08-22-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen them on AutoTrader in the mid to high $30k range. The prestige package adds a lot to the price tag, but not many options. The thermal cup holder, AFS headlights, and rear sunshades aren't worth the added cost. The only reason I purchased mine is because it has the S-Line package and adaptive cruise control. It's not a bad price, but I'd buy an additional warranty.

I looked the vehicle up on AutoTrader and it looks clean. It does have the sport package that added about $1k to the msrp if I remember correctly.

Last edited by BarryT; 08-22-2016 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BarryT
I've seen them on AutoTrader in the mid to high $30k range. The prestige package adds a lot to the price tag, but not many options. The thermal cup holder, AFS headlights, and rear sunshades aren't worth the added cost. The only reason I purchased mine is because it has the S-Line package and adaptive cruise control. It's not a bad price, but I'd buy an additional warranty.

I looked the vehicle up on AutoTrader and it looks clean. It does have the sport package that added about $1k to the msrp if I remember correctly.
The additional warranties scare me. I'm handy but I don't want to shell out $1000s to make repairs. Do you know of a warranty company that is reputable? Too many horror stories of customers paying up front and never getting reimbursed.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The additional warranties scare me. I'm handy but I don't want to shell out $1000s to make repairs. Do you know of a warranty company that is reputable? Too many horror stories of customers paying up front and never getting reimbursed.

I used one in the past on another Audi, but I can't remember the company. It was a $50 copay and they always covered any issues. It paid for itself when the control arms and a wheel bearing had to be replaced.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Two comments:

1) It may be tough and/or expensive to buy an extended warranty on a TDi at this point - I'd call your local Audi dealer to see what they might have to offer.

2) Maintenance items can get expensive on the 3.0TDis with higher mileage. Given the uncertainty about the future of these vehicles right now, I'd negotiate hard on the price to make sure you buy it at a "bargain" price, so that no matter what happens, you'll be $$$ ahead.

All of that said, these are sweet vehicles overall. Yesterday during a long drive my wife and I were running through what we might replace it with should a buyback happen. We couldn't really come up with anything that does as many things as well for our needs....

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Q5 TDI