Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Looking to get a 2015 Q5 2.0T

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a 2015 Q5 2.0T

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get a 2015 Q5 2.0T P+ with Tech package. What is the thing you love and hate the most on this car. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The 2.0T is nice but screams "entry level" to me. I love it in Audi's smaller offerings but not necessarily in a heavy SUV. If you are buying an Audi it's best to have something special that you can look forward to driving every day. TDI and SQ5 FTW

If 2.0T owners got great fuel economy I'd say go for it. Sadly, most don't, which is disappointing because it's the slowest engine in the lineup.

Last edited by gagethrash; 07-28-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've owned ours for 2 1/2 years and so far it's all good. Nothing but routine service and no oil consumption issues either. We just returned from a 2,000 mile road trip vacation, it's a nice highway cruiser. Quiet, rattle and wind noise free, and comfortable. It has 19" wheels and the ride does get a little bouncy on certain uneven surfaces but stays planted when this happens. Would I buy another one? Probably, but I'm not real brand loyal and rarely keep cars much beyond the factory warranty period so I may try something else, not sure. I'll need to see how things are with the new plant in Mexico before deciding. Not a big deal, but the current gen Q5 is in it's 7th, going on 8th model year and the styling is getting a little long in the tooth IMO. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Not a big deal, but the current gen Q5 is in it's 7th, going on 8th model year and the styling is getting a little long in the tooth IMO. Good luck with your decision.
This explains why I plan to pick up a Certified Pre-Owned model from late 2013/early 2014. I think unless you are leasing, a CPO model is a much better deal nowadays (excepting the S-Line models, which look timeless )
Old 07-29-2015, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We have had a 2.0T full load for a bit over a year. We absolutely love the vehicle but I will be honest - I wish we had gotten the TDI. We didn't even test drive the TDI only because of the premium in cost that I couldn't justify over the added fuel economy. We did test drive the 3.0T but at the end of the day it would have been about a $3K premium.

We paid full in cash so were trying to minimize damage to our bank account. Hindsight is always 20/20 but looking back I should have just sprung for the extra $$$. We also wanted full load so the only options we didn't get were the rear sunshades and distance cruise thing - at least I think those are the only missing options.

Drive all 3 options and pick which you love the most. If you love the 2.0, get it. If you love the 3.0 or TDI more, get one of them.

It's prudent for anyone purchasing a car with various options to compare and consider things such as cost premium vs. fuel economy, yada yada...but let's face it...these are depreciating assets. If you only needed some form of personal transportation we'd all be buying Hondas or Toyotas. If you're spending the money buy what will put a smile on your face every day.

Last edited by samps; 07-29-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by samps
Drive all 3 options and pick which you love the most. If you love the 2.0, get it. If you love the 3.0 or TDI more, get one of them.

It's prudent for anyone purchasing a car with various options to compare and consider things such as cost premium vs. fuel economy, yada yada...but let's face it...these are depreciating assets. If you only needed some form of personal transportation we'd all be buying Hondas or Toyotas. If you're spending the money buy what will put a smile on your face every day.
Absolutely. Not that I followed that advice, I was gunning for a TDI unless Audi did something stupid with the pricing. Though I did test out a 2.0T first just because the TDIs were still a year away, and it seemed perfectly fine. Whether it'd hold up for me over the long term, I'm not sure, but at least new it seemed like the performance was reasonable enough. It's certainly not a dumb choice like some base engine choices can be.

I personally think the TDI is the best overall engine choice (not necessarily best in any given concern, but taking all aspects into account), but it's also the most expensive (was $3500 more than an identically-equipped 3.0T in 2014). Whether worth the extra to an individual or not from a value standpoint, it might still be out of the budget, or there may be other concerns (such as being in an area with less-prevalent passenger diesel stations).

The Q5's great because we get so many engine options, which makes it easier for everyone to find the spec that's right for them. Hard to really go wrong.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1, drive all three and see which one you like the best that fits into your budget. I have a 3.0 and love the way the gas engine runs. Others like the TDI. In hindsight I am driving more miles than I estimated an might have gone for the TDI for fuel consumption. But I love my 3.0.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Have a 2015 TDi, love it...drove an A7 yesterday with the 3.0 engine... Totally different animal... Like everyone has stated, drive all 3 options, Maybe jump in a SQ5 for fun, then decide...any of them are great...
Old 07-29-2015, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We have a 2012 2.0T and a 2015 3.0 TFSI. The 2.0 has a lot of spunk for a 2-liter engine but I wanted a bit more oomph from a dead stop to get out into traffic or whatever so got the 3.0 the 2nd time around. My wife and I love the car in either engine.

My biggest complaint about both models is how they handle music off of SD cards in the MMI system. The new one won't random play music files in folders so I have to dump everything in a top-level folder which offends my OCD. If that's the biggest complaint I have, I'm ok with that.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

+1

A lot of people sadly compare the 2.0T and TDI the same way people compare a Toyota/Lexus gas engine and the hybrid, asking themselves "is it worth the green premium?"

I compare a 2.0T and TDI engine the same way I would a 2.0T and an SQ5. And I think everyone else should. You earn back the premium the second you step on the gas, as the TORQUE is so grin-inducing.

TDI owners know that the green premium is really just an added advantage. The TDI is a performance engine first, and an economical one second.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a 2015 Q5 2.0T