Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Power steering software update.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering software update.

My Q5 is a 2013 3.0T, P+ bought new in March 2013. I just took it in for the 5000 mike servicing. The dealer also did the 48K8recall, "update the "power steering control unit to the latest software." The result is that the steering is more stiff and heavy (sporty), without that on-center numbness. Now I have to get used to the new steering feel. I don't have ADS on my car.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Interesting how perceptions can vary. Many have reported just the opposite after the update - that the steering is now too light. With my A6, the update has removed most of the wandering issue I had and, like you, the steering feels a tad more firm.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2013 has felt firm with a good on center feel since I got it. I came from a 2010 Lexus which had a very light feel to it so I don't know if it's just the difference in the two or not, but I like it.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm3457
My Q5 is a 2013 3.0T, P+ bought new in March 2013. I just took it in for the 5000 mike servicing. The dealer also did the 48K8recall, "update the "power steering control unit to the latest software." The result is that the steering is more stiff and heavy (sporty), without that on-center numbness. Now I have to get used to the new steering feel. I don't have ADS on my car.
What I have been experiencing is the frequent need to correct the steering to keep it going straight. Does that feel better?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

So I was having the issue in which I had to make constant small corrections to stay straight on the road. It wasn't really dangerous, but more annoying.

I had the steering wheel update today. Here are my observations:

1. It eliminated the frequent steering wheel corrections. I am very happy about this, since I've been having this issue since last Dec or so! I bought this Q5 last Oct.

2. The steering is lighter than before, but I can live with it. Fyi - I don't have the dynamic driver settings.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
So I was having the issue in which I had to make constant small corrections to stay straight on the road. It wasn't really dangerous, but more annoying.

I had the steering wheel update today. Here are my observations:

1. It eliminated the frequent steering wheel corrections. I am very happy about this, since I've been having this issue since last Dec or so! I bought this Q5 last Oct.

2. The steering is lighter than before, but I can live with it. Fyi - I don't have the dynamic driver settings.
That is fantastic news. I really enjoy my Q5. I often dread the thought of driving it on the highway because of the steering. It fatigues me.

I think the steering on my 2014 A5 feels pretty good (not as good as the 2012 with hydraulic) and I was hoping that the update would make the Q5 drive as well.

One week and counting!
Old 09-17-2013, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JGA5Cab
That is fantastic news. I really enjoy my Q5. I often dread the thought of driving it on the highway because of the steering. It fatigues me.

I think the steering on my 2014 A5 feels pretty good (not as good as the 2012 with hydraulic) and I was hoping that the update would make the Q5 drive as well.

One week and counting!
Observations from this morning...
My commute one way is 25 miles... Majority of it is highway driving. The steering experience has significantly improved. It feels like night and day with steering since I don't have to make any corrections while going straight. I hope this doesn't end! I can find say my Q5 steers better than my wife's Prius on the highway.

Last edited by mrrun2fast; 09-17-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I've read several reports on the forums where some have expressed that the steering issues are less noticeable (or non existent) in the heat of summer vs. the cold of winter. If outside temperature does play a role, those of us in colder climates will know soon enough if the software update continues to be effective. I sincerely hope so as my wandering issues have been minimized since it was done.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
Observations from this morning...
My commute one way is 25 miles... Majority of it is highway driving. The steering experience has significantly improved. It feels like night and day with steering since I don't have to make any corrections while going straight. I hope this doesn't end! I can find say my Q5 steers better than my wife's Prius on the highway.
I would have thought a Q5 with 3 wheels running on 3 cylinders would handle better than a Prius
Old 09-17-2013, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by josedebardi
I would have thought a Q5 with 3 wheels running on 3 cylinders would handle better than a Prius
Haha. Not the way my q5 was steering!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power steering software update.