Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

maintenance reminder reset

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by pcfithian
I just took over a 2012 Q5 from a colleague who left our company. I've only driven the car for a few weeks. Nice car, for sure.

But it is unbelievable that I need to go to the dealer, 35 miles away, to have the oil reminder reset. For this reason, I would not choose another Audi product.
FYI this is the same or a similar system for all new models of BMW, MB, not only Audi
For all new cars you need computer and software
Old 03-17-2014, 05:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
FYI this is the same or a similar system for all new models of BMW, MB, not only Audi
For all new cars you need computer and software
I wouldn't choose those either for that reason. I have heard also that only a BMW dealer can replace a battery on their newer models.

Granted, these cars drive nice. But the maintenance costs are astronomical. I was recently quoted $830 at the dealer to replace front pads and rotors, the car has 38,000 miles on it.

I can get new, OEM spec front pads and rotors for less than $150, delivered to my home. The time to replace these is about an hour.

I have OBDII scanners and have used them on many cars. Until seeing this Q5, I have never seen a car that required a trip to the dealer to reset the oil service reminder.

Yes, I am aware of the VCDS from Ross-Tech, and I'm sure it's a great tool. But does the free version allow one to reset the oil service reminder?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I wouldn't choose those either for that reason. I have heard also that only a BMW dealer can replace a battery on their newer models.

Granted, these cars drive nice. But the maintenance costs are astronomical. I was recently quoted $830 at the dealer to replace front pads and rotors, the car has 38,000 miles on it.

I can get new, OEM spec front pads and rotors for less than $150, delivered to my home. The time to replace these is about an hour.

I have OBDII scanners and have used them on many cars. Until seeing this Q5, I have never seen a car that required a trip to the dealer to reset the oil service reminder.

Yes, I am aware of the VCDS from Ross-Tech, and I'm sure it's a great tool. But does the free version allow one to reset the oil service reminder?
Front pads and rotors for less than $150 ???? sorry, but this is trash

You can buy iPhon5 or Galaxy4 for $ 150 (Chinese copies), but .... copies exist everywhere in the world. You can buy a car for $ 20k the same size as Q5

Unfortunately, today's cars with 3-8 or more processors, is actually one very big computer. Yet this is the 21st century. We live in a world of computers

Last edited by spijun; 03-17-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spijun
Front pads and rotors for less than $150 ???? sorry, but this is trash
You have no way of knowing that.

These parts are from large, OEM and aftermarket automotive suppliers, Federal Mogul and Bendix. There is no way these companies would risk the liability of providing junk for a safety items like brakes.

Have a look at www.rockauto.com and see for yourself.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You have no way of knowing that.

These parts are from large, OEM and aftermarket automotive suppliers, Federal Mogul and Bendix. There is no way these companies would risk the liability of providing junk for a safety items like brakes.

Have a look at www.rockauto.com and see for yourself.
I know this for a long time
Good luck with brakes for $150

FYI: there are cheaper
Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I wouldn't call Bendix or Federal "trash" but they are considered commodity grade, not premium products, last I heard.

Like getting the brake pads with a free lifetime warranty at Meinecke, where you'll still be paying them enough labor charges to give them a profit every time they replace your "free" pads.

PC, you will find that Audi-US has a fairly intimate relationship with the dealers, often sending out followup surveys to see how things have gone. I would suggest calling Audi-US and letting them know that three road trips to fix one module is not your idea of satisfactory service, and suggest that the dealer needs to send a loaner car to you and pick yours up for the third service trip. (And of course, return it to you.)

All the dealers have courtesy cars and drivers, it is just a matter of someone getting motivated to make an effort.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default WARNING, if you change the rear brake pads....

You need to retract the Electo-mechanical parking brake motors with VCDS before you can push the caliper pistons in. If you don't do this you can damage the 2 motors and controller - $1800!!! If you are going to keep this Q5 buy the VCDS, it is worth the price, just to turn off service reminder.

Audi's are super rediculous for service costs if you don't do your own work and have the service manual and tools.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
You need to retract the Electo-mechanical parking brake motors with VCDS before you can push the caliper pistons in. If you don't do this you can damage the 2 motors and controller - $1800!!! If you are going to keep this Q5 buy the VCDS, it is worth the price, just to turn off service reminder.

Audi's are super rediculous for service costs if you don't do your own work and have the service manual and tools.
For the rear. I'm doing the front, which doesn't need the VCDS involvement. .

Super ridiculous is a good way to describe the service cost I was quoted for the front pads and rotors.

Friends I've described this to, who know cars, are astounded, just like I was.

Purchase of the VCDS is not an option here, as I don't intend to drive another Audi or VW after this one.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

VCDS is an amazing tool. It has saved me lots of time and grief. We are lucky to have such a powerful and relatively inexpensive tool available for our vehicles. For most other auto brands you need to purchase a much more expensive solution. OBDII barely scratches the surface of modern vehicles anymore, limiting you to generic power train codes only. I have cleared other system error codes with VCDS that do not even exist in OBDII and they do not come back again. Good Luck with whatever you do.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For 4-5 years you will not be able to drive even one car, all new models of cars are used computers and special programs and tools (and even cheap Korean and Chinese cars )

Good luck in the future with the "old cars" without computers and special software

Quick Reply: maintenance reminder reset