Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Midnight Blue or Brilliant Black SQ5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midnight Blue or Brilliant Black SQ5?

Has anyone actually seen a Midnight Blue and/or Brilliant Black SQ5 in person?? (I am going with 20in rims thinking one day I will opt for a second set of titanium/black rims)

I have posted here several times and since I am stuck playing the waiting game for another three months I tend to re think the same things over and over again. It doesnt help that Audi dealerships are not so common where I am in Korea and every other car seems to be a ten year old Hyundai Sonata that hasnt been washed regularly since it rolled off the lot.

I know both are dark enough that they will require extra care to keep them looking their best but thats the nature of the beast.

I am still partial to the true black and think most agree its hard to beat a shiny black Audi but the midnight blue is a one off color that breaks from the Blacks and Whites.

Any opinions and pictures are more than welcome as I become my own worst enemy playing the waiting game....
Old 03-02-2014, 02:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by davidjz
Has anyone actually seen a Midnight Blue and/or Brilliant Black SQ5 in person?? (I am going with 20in rims thinking one day I will opt for a second set of titanium/black rims)

I have posted here several times and since I am stuck playing the waiting game for another three months I tend to re think the same things over and over again. It doesnt help that Audi dealerships are not so common where I am in Korea and every other car seems to be a ten year old Hyundai Sonata that hasnt been washed regularly since it rolled off the lot.

I know both are dark enough that they will require extra care to keep them looking their best but thats the nature of the beast.

I am still partial to the true black and think most agree its hard to beat a shiny black Audi but the midnight blue is a one off color that breaks from the Blacks and Whites.

Any opinions and pictures are more than welcome as I become my own worst enemy playing the waiting game....
Well...I think out of the two, I would go with Brilliant Black just because of exactly what you said, "it's hard to beat a shiny black Audi." I have seen the Midnight Blue, great color, but for some reason, black stands out more on the SQ5...especially when it's clean. I had a Phantom Black S5 that just looked spectacular after a good wash (yes it was a pain to keep clean but worth it). I am waiting on my Daytona Gray Q5 TDI to come in this month :-)
Old 03-02-2014, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never buy a brilliant black car. Phantom is the way to go if you want black.

As far as shiny, brilliant black tends to show all the little imperfections and spider webbing / swirl marks even after a hand wash. Phantom will help in hiding some of that.

Take a brand new brilliant black car out of the showroom and look at it in the bright sun. Most professional detail people will echo the thing and they are not fond of working on brilliant black cars that have no metallic in them.

I'm fairly lazy with washing my car and I've got Daytona gray. A lot more forgiving to keep it clean.

Moonlight is a very deep blue that can look black from a distance. Moonlight is very nice as well.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just switched from Phantom Black, if you're deciding between the two as they are both dark colors I would stick with Black. I just picked up my Volcano Red Metallic last week, consider this:
Attached Images   
Old 03-02-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the Phantom Black and am really, really happy with my choice. It does take quite a bit more effort to keep it looking awesome. click the link in my signature for pics.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

@ Dustin - awesome pictures! I wish i was bold enough to go with the Magma interior!

@ Audifreak - I am not sure if Daytona is a "special" color for the SQ5. I inquired the other day about the Misano red only to find out its nearly a $4,000 option!!! Daytona could be a serious consideration. I definitely have a hard time justifying "extra" money for another shade of black because, although I have read the arguments in support of Phantom (jperryrocks), its still black and is going to require some TLC. I think the same goes for the Midnight blue. To me black always has character but a dirty midnight blue car eh....
Old 03-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@ Dustin - awesome pictures! I wish i was bold enough to go with the Magma interior! @ Audifreak - I am not sure if Daytona is a "special" color for the SQ5. I inquired the other day about the Misano red only to find out its nearly a $4,000 option!!! Daytona could be a serious consideration. I definitely have a hard time justifying "extra" money for another shade of black because, although I have read the arguments in support of Phantom (jperryrocks), its still black and is going to require some TLC. I think the same goes for the Midnight blue. To me black always has character but a dirty midnight blue car eh....
Davidjz, I was going to order the SQ5 prior to driving the TDI (which is what I ended up getting), and if I remember correctly, Daytona Gray was one of those colors to be special ordered for the SQ5. I was hell bent on getting a Daytona Gray Audi since I have always admired the classy/sporty color, but didn't want to pay thousands extra for the color, especially since it's standard on the Q5 TDI.

Last edited by AudiFreak666; 03-02-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiFreak666
Davidjz, I was going to order the SQ5 prior to driving the TDI (which is what I ended up getting), and if I remember correctly, Daytona Gray was one of those colors to be special ordered for the SQ5. I was hell bent on getting a Daytona Gray Audi since I have always admired the classy/sporty color, but didn't want to pay thousands extra for the color, especially since it's standard on the Q5 TDI.

Now you are really pulling at my conflicted heart strings. I seriously debated the TDI. I have only had A4s and have test driven the 2.0 Q5 and a few S4s. The SQ5 felt like a "calling" but I haven't test driven one or the TDI. In the end it was about a $3,000 difference bet the two (TDI would have to be S-line) so I figured if ever I am going to splurge on a car the SQ5 it will be... Time will tell if it ends up being the right decision.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Phantom Black is spectacular and I would not even entertain the thought of Brilliant Black over Phantom. Midnight blue is interesting. It seems like it should be a great color but all I ever see out of it is a dirty looking steel gray. I don't think it shines hardly at all. Pay up and go Estoril if you want a blue. I think it is the best SQ5 color.

Last edited by Transfer; 03-02-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Transfer
Phantom Black is spectacular and I would even entertain the thought of Brilliant Blackover Phantom. Midnight blue is interesting. It seems like it should be a great color but all I ever see out of it is a dirty looking steel gray. I don't think it shines hardly at all. Pay up and go Estoril if you want a blue. I think it is the best SQ5 color.
"Dirty looking steel gray," I could never think of an explanation for that color until now...good call.

Davidjz, the way I see the Q5 lineup is that you can't go wrong with any of them. Here's what happened to me. I wanted the SQ5 (just want to point out that wasn't digging the MPG's on it but it's understandable since it's a performance vehicle); test drove it but the dealer wouldn't budge too much on price (it was the only one around in the area...Lava Gray which was surprisingly nice looking). So I almost said ok let's do the deal, but I see a TDI sitting next to it and asked if I can try it out...he said sure. I drove it and loved it (S-line and sport interior package) With the exception of HP, it drove pretty much the same as the SQ5, AND much better MPG's. If you are looking for good top end power, the SQ5 is it; for me, the TDI hit all marks for me since I am not looking to race anyone nor go to the track, just want to hit the gas every now and then, so the TDI's massive torque is more than enough excitement for me from 0-80...anymore than that, SQ5 is better. I got the color I wanted (Daytona) and the packages I wanted which looks pretty much the exact same as the SQ5 but paid about $5K less and will be better on gas. The one thing I wish I could have on the TDI is that sweet sweet music the SQ5 produces.

Quick Reply: Midnight Blue or Brilliant Black SQ5?