Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI SD Play not Showing Track Names

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI SD Play not Showing Track Names

I have a 2013 2.0 with MMI 3g+ system. I am using the SD card with mp3 and m4a songs. All songs have complete ID tag details (song Name, Artist, Album, Year...) They all play just fine.

I also have m3u playlists.

Examples:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:191,The Sickness - Voices
\Disturbed\The Sickness\01 Voices.mp3
#EXTINF:296,Justified - Senorita
\Justin Timberlake\01 Senorita.mp3
#EXTINF:329,Country Grammar - Batter Up
\Nelly\Country Grammer\14 Batter Up.mp3

My problem is I cannot get the MMI to show track names, either through the Playlist or folder browsing. I change the Display Name setting from File Name to Track Name and no change.
Example.
Shows: 01 Voices
Want: The Sickness - Voices
(or ID Tagged 'Track Name')

I don't want to see track numbers that are used to keep the files in order. It looks bad on the screen and I like to be able to browse quickly by Album. Any thoughts on how to get the Track Names to show on MMI?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zeus48
I have a 2013 2.0 with MMI 3g+ system. I am using the SD card with mp3 and m4a songs. All songs have complete ID tag details (song Name, Artist, Album, Year...) They all play just fine.

I also have m3u playlists.

Examples:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:191,The Sickness - Voices
\Disturbed\The Sickness\01 Voices.mp3
#EXTINF:296,Justified - Senorita
\Justin Timberlake\01 Senorita.mp3
#EXTINF:329,Country Grammar - Batter Up
\Nelly\Country Grammer\14 Batter Up.mp3

My problem is I cannot get the MMI to show track names, either through the Playlist or folder browsing. I change the Display Name setting from File Name to Track Name and no change.
Example.
Shows: 01 Voices
Want: The Sickness - Voices
(or ID Tagged 'Track Name')

I don't want to see track numbers that are used to keep the files in order. It looks bad on the screen and I like to be able to browse quickly by Album. Any thoughts on how to get the Track Names to show on MMI?
If you mean the browser on the MMI and not the optional track info popup or the dash display, I don't think that it'll show the track names there on external media, only the filenames. The selection in the settings is just for when displaying media information such as in the dash display.

If you're working with playlists, though, there's probably less need for the filesystem to be ordered so you could remove the track numbering and have the track name be the filename. Not ideal, though. I've got a set of MP3s all named with the disc name and track number, so I can't tell at all what the individual files are for. I need to fix that sometime.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zeus48, I see on the link to your pics, Team Audi in the background. WAY off topic here, but how have your dealings with them been? Have you had your Audi in the service department yet? I live in the SW suburbs and am looking around for alternatives when it comes to service. Any info would be appreciated. Tks.

Nice looking Q5 BTW.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can only have the file name showing in the normal view. If you name the file "The Sickness - Voices", that is how it will show up. If you name each Folder with the group name (for example "Pink Floyd - The Wall", that info will show above the list of file names (tracks). Just experiment to find what works for you.

Also, if you select the "Control" corner button and then "Info" on the control circle on the MMI, you will get more detailed info displayed provided you have the relevant tag fields completed.

For what it is worth, I found a really useful and free little program on the web called 'mp3tag' (just Google it) which makes editing your music file tags a pleasure to ensure they show up on the MMI exactly how you want them to.

Last edited by GregH; 11-15-2013 at 10:31 PM.