Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI 3G+ Largest SD Card Size?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pismo10
I did not reformat it, tried it as it arrived. NO lag at all on what works. Do not know what formatting it came with..
Any card 64 GB and larger will come formatted as exFAT. Try reformatting to FAT32 and see if you're still having issues.

However, your issue may be max file/folder limit and not necessarily the card size.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will try that now. Easy to change to FAT32 I found, did it, and now recopying all files. Slower copy with FAT32. Will report.. Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

FAT32 made not difference. It seems to limit itself at 64GB regardless. So that is it. No matter what size or format card you have, I tried a 256GB SD card and it reads up to 64GB and no more regardless of FAT32 or exFAT. So I tried a 128GB USB stick and that works fine...sees it all, everything there, it all plays.. So my advice is use the USB ports for access and fill up a 128 stick and roll.

Best
Old 12-10-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pismo10
FAT32 made not difference. It seems to limit itself at 64GB regardless. So that is it. No matter what size or format card you have, I tried a 256GB SD card and it reads up to 64GB and no more regardless of FAT32 or exFAT.
But are you sure you're bumping up against a storage size limitation and not against a max number of files/folders limit?
Old 05-27-2016, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by - B -
Spijun, that must be either outdated or stated for "safe" operation, but I have already tested 128GB SDXC cards with no issues. I've seen posts on another Audi site(that I won't link) which has members that have had success with over 7000 files in the new B8's MMI with no issues.

Also, I can successfully play smoothly video files on the MMI that have 30fps, but your data shows 25fps max....so I think Audi is either being modest or that info is for older models...

Since I've gotten the 128GB to work with great success.....Does anyone have a 256GB SDXC or SDHC card they can test?
Ive just tried a 256gb with no luck. It was formatted ExFAT and only had about 15gb on it. I will try reformatting it, but I'm not optimistic.

My other 32gb works like a charm.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by heymicah
Ive just tried a 256gb with no luck. It was formatted ExFAT and only had about 15gb on it. I will try reformatting it, but I'm not optimistic.

My other 32gb works like a charm.
UPDATE: Happy to report my 256gb card now works! I just reformatted it to FAT and it works fine. Added 40gb of music and it sounds great. Still not reading flacs, but I don't care. My 320kb mp3s sound superb! I'm looking forward to loading this thing up.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all,
newbie forumite here. Just got a new A4 this week, base audio.
So far, in previous car, I've had the bose, B&O, and now back to standard.

I just looked up posts, to read about an issue I was having. This seems to be the post most closely related.

I've bought a 128gb sd card especially for this car, as I need that much. I have, at this point, about 90G of music (I would say 90% of it bought on physical albums ), and here what I find:
- everything is readable. I have all the music ordered in folders per artist, containing folders per album, containing between 10 and 20 songs, obviously.
- there does, however, seem to be an internal buffer that jams up. Somewhere, halfway through the letter S (to be more precise, after two third of Sting's discography ), the tracks are still playable, but will not show album art, and will only show all the track info once I selected it, not while I'm browsing.

I was in fact rather bothered about not seeing all the pretty covers, but I seem to be pretty lucky still, since I'm able to play everything nonetheless

Does this make sense to you all?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is old, but i just went through this whole ordeal with my 2014 SQ5. Maybe this update will help future people.

I formatted two 128GB SD cards to FAT32 to get them to work with my MMI. It was a harder task then i hoped and i don't know why. I was unsuccessful simply finding and using a program to convert my SD card to FAT32, they would convert them to FAT32, but when i put music on the SD card my MMI would still not recognize the SD card. I tried this several times, with a few different programs, all with the same end result...my MMI wouldn't recognize the SD card even though it was now in FAT32 format.

I ended up doing a complete wipe of the SD cards, then formatted them each to FAT32...and that worked. As soon as i put them in the MMI it recognized both cards.

Maybe there are existing or residual partitions left on these newer SD cards and even though you do a quick format to FAT32 something still stops the MMI from recognizing them...i'm not sure. I just know doing a complete partition wipe of each SD card then formatting to FAT32 fixed my problem. Hope this helps someone else down the road.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Donny-
There are different ways to format cards, different standards for sector sizes. So it is possible the softwares would "convert" the cards differently, even if there was nothing wrong.
What I found with my AMI system, is that the system can only read a 32GB maximum card size. It will gladly accept a 64GB card or larger--but it will never see, show, or play the files that have been stored beyond the first 32GB on those cards. Regardless of format. Something else to beware of.
Why the $10 music app on my phone should be smarter than Audi...
Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm using a twp 128 GB card in my 2016 Q5
one for music
the other for audio books

no issues

Quick Reply: MMI 3G+ Largest SD Card Size?