Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Musings after 1,500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Musings after 1,500 miles

After having the car for a little over two months, just wanted to chronicle some findings. Nothing really significant, just some quirks to share (VERY slow day in the office).

1. This car LOVES to hold water. After washing the car that is. Even after busting out the metro blower there seem to be endless nooks and crannies that water loves to hide in until the car starts moving.

2. The rear accumulates dirt and grime like mad. I guess it has to do with the aerodynamics of the car causing stuff to pool up more along the hatch. I had a Nissan Rogue prior which is a similar shape but didn't notice it as much. Then again, that was a lease that I barely kept clean. The Q5 has been kept spotless for the most part.

3. What is Audi's aversion to a simple USB port? I use bluetooth to connect my iphone instead of the MMI cable but it would be nice not to have to bust out a car charger to connect to the lighter socket when I need to charge the phone.

4. Those damn B pillars. Audi needs to get around to a satin or matte finish option. Fingerprint magnets and super soft and prone to marring to boot. Luckily the wife is getting used to closing the door using other areas.

All those things aside, I do love the car. Still debating going through with the APR tune. First kid on the way so I'm trying to be realistic/financially responsible. Maybe I'll settle for just the chip without the pulley.

/end ramblings
Old 12-29-2014, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After rains here last week, I washed the car and found one particularly annoying dirt trap. The very bottom ofthe rear doors has a folded over seam that catches every bit of sand and road grime it sees, which, apparently, is quite a bit. I live in San Diego, where salting the roads isn't necessary, but I could see this being a real problem area in colder climes.
I also am having an issue with the steering shaft making noise in hot weather or if the engine compartment gets too warm.
And one thing that annoys me is that I need to change modes of the A/C to change fan speeds.
Otherwise...I LOVE this SQ5!