Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Must dealer still do prescribed service after warranty exp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must dealer still do prescribed service after warranty exp?

Hi there,

2 days ago, Bought a used 2011 Q5 3.0tdi S tronic Quattro at Mastercars Autohaus Windhoek, Namibia.

Its got 66,000km on (appr. 40k miles) and I did check the service history before I bought it, but overlooked the fact that while it was still under "warranty" (we call it motor plan), the car got a last service at the dealer on 63,000km but only an oil change (engine).

In the service manual it says clearly that both fuel filter and more importantly the oil and filter of the Stronic box should also be replaced/changed at 60,000km (38k miles), but this did not happen (got copy of service history at dealer)....

so my BIG million dollar question is:
Should Audi still commit to replacing this, even though the warranty has just expired? (I bought it just after the warranty expired). Or can they just say, sorry we forgot and were not gonna do it anymore.
I did already call Audi South Africa and they have instructed the dealer to make an appointment with me to try to sort it out; I would like to know from you guys what my position is? Can I rightfully claim this service still to be done?

Cheers,
Rik-Jan Kraak
Windhoek, Namibia
Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Rik, welcome aboard!

While I have no idea what the laws and and regulations are in Namibia or S Africa, I would politely ask the service team at the dealership why the work was over-looked.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Rik, welcome aboard!

While I have no idea what the laws and and regulations are in Namibia or S Africa, I would politely ask the service team at the dealership why the work was over-looked.

Really boils down to what the previous owner wants performed. Audi can recommend all sorts of service but if the owner only at the time wants just an oil change. They may have been thinking "I'm returning/trading in the car so doesn't matter". As far as the dealer doing any service aside from ensuring it's roadworthy and meets those safety criteria, likely not. Some one has got to foot the bill and doubtful the dealer will while its unsold on the lot. Could always try to negotiate something but since they've already got their money, might be a challenge. Good luck and congrats on the new ride.

Last edited by Resoom; 02-05-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Stronic is a Dual clutch gearbox, a DSG in VW speak, not an Automatic in SA? We only get the 8spd automatic in North America.

VAG are really serious about the fluid change interval of every 64,000 KM on the DSG gearboxes to keep them running properly. So you should get it done whether it is done under 'motor plan' or you have to pay for it.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Rik, it sounds like this is your first car purchase. Normally the "prescribed" maintenance is prescribed to the owner, and it is the owner's responsibility to have it done.
The dealers are only responsible to perform what is promised under the warranty and sales terms, and with an Audi (in the US) that usually includes the very first oil change--and that's all.
The maker and dealer are usually responsible only to the first purchaser (again, in the US) for warranty responsibilities. If someone buys the car from a private party as a used car, the rest is all on you. Normal ongoing maintenance on an Audi can be quite expensive, yes. You perform it, or skip it, at your own risk.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by timlocke
The Stronic is a Dual clutch gearbox, a DSG in VW speak, not an Automatic in SA? We only get the 8spd automatic in North America.

VAG are really serious about the fluid change interval of every 64,000 KM on the DSG gearboxes to keep them running properly. So you should get it done whether it is done under 'motor plan' or you have to pay for it.
And it a very expensive dealer trans fluid change, approximately $500 for the Audi fluid alone, not counting labor and it requires a special fill gadget to get the fluid back in.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Bob-
How exotic is the turkey baster surrogate? And is gen-you-whine $500 Audi fluid the only thing that meets their spec, or does some chemical company also sell it for a broader market, in a different color can?

I'm just hoping that Toyota makes their "old folks nebbishmobile autonomous delivery system" available in the US before then.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RJkraak
Hi there,

Its got 66,000km on (appr. 40k miles) and I did check the service history before I bought it, but overlooked the fact that while it was still under "warranty" (we call it motor plan), the car got a last service at the dealer on 63,000km but only an oil change (engine).
Please clarify when you mentioned "motor plan". Do you mean a service plan or package? In North America, it is called the Audi Care. In the US, there seems to be two levels of Audi Care. So, if you are referring to a service plan, it really depends on whether the service plan covers the tranny oil/filter change. If not, then the dealer normally does this work unless the previous Owner specifically asks the dealer not to do it.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
And it a very expensive dealer trans fluid change, approximately $500 for the Audi fluid alone, not counting labor and it requires a special fill gadget to get the fluid back in.
IIRC the gadget is just a 6' pipe with a female fitting on one end for the bottle of fluid and a male fitting to screw into the coaxial drain*. You hold the bottle up in the air and squeeze until empty...repeat 5 times. Then a warm up procedure to get the level exactly right.
The fluid is not cheap but I don't think it is anywhere near $100/litre.

Audi fluid = VW fluid and I have not heard of an aftermarket one but I bet Porsche branded fluid works as well! I am sure there must be a euro company that makes a generic fluid.

* you take out the whole drain plug to drain and then put it back in without the centre plug to attach the fill pipe. It automatically then prevents over filling.