Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

My new 2014 q5 2.0 is loud at 60 mph or higher

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
Extremely slim chance the noise is wheel bearings. They are always the loudest at around 45 mph and the car is way too new.
Never put your Q5 in neutral while rolling unless you enjoy loud bangs from your transmission. This has been documented from a few folks on here. I wasn't curious enough to chance it.
dealer did this with me in the car.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd call the turbo inaudible. And when you tell a shop "there's a noise" it always pays to actually go for a ride with the tech, so you can say "That's it, do you hear it?" and make sure they know which noise you mean.

Note for folks who never touched a tire: You should adjust tire pressure when the tires are "cold", the car has not been used for a couple of hours. And tire pressure will change about 1 psi per 10*F change in outside temperature. And just in case you let out too much air...you should be doing this where you have a way to put more in.(G)

The tire pressure pumps at gas stations can usually be set for a specific pressure, and they will stop pumping when they reach it, which makes life easy and keeps all four consistent. You can also buy "smart" tire inflator pumps for $30-40 that will plug into a power socket in the car and do the same thing these days. Much easier than trying to match all four manually.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
I'd call the turbo inaudible. And when you tell a shop "there's a noise" it always pays to actually go for a ride with the tech, so you can say "That's it, do you hear it?" and make sure they know which noise you mean.

Note for folks who never touched a tire: You should adjust tire pressure when the tires are "cold", the car has not been used for a couple of hours. And tire pressure will change about 1 psi per 10*F change in outside temperature. And just in case you let out too much air...you should be doing this where you have a way to put more in.(G)

The tire pressure pumps at gas stations can usually be set for a specific pressure, and they will stop pumping when they reach it, which makes life easy and keeps all four consistent. You can also buy "smart" tire inflator pumps for $30-40 that will plug into a power socket in the car and do the same thing these days. Much easier than trying to match all four manually.
definitely have a ride with the tech. you can hear the turbo spool if you listen carefully. its not that loud but it can be heard from the outside. Lets see what the OP comes back with. I had the hum before. it came down to a bad wheel bearing only 6k miles on the car when it was changed. lol
Old 05-09-2014, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
definitely have a ride with the tech. you can hear the turbo spool if you listen carefully.
I definitely hear my turbo whine. It's pretty high pitched and not that loud, but clearly audible. Of course, all one must do is crank the radio to cancel it out!