Q5/SQ5 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q5 SUV
Sponsored by: Audi

Navigation update for MMI 3G and 3G+

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts View Post
This is a very good summary of the program with one exception. The SD card would be purchased by the dealer, the dealer buys that not the customer. It is used multiple times on all vehicle models. There is no reason to bill the car owner for the SD card when the car comes in to a dealer or shop for an update. This is the reason why the invoice total at your dealer or shop would be 300.00 dollars. 241.00 for the PIN plus 59.00 for the labor. If a diy'er was doing this job we would bill 2 different part numbers. The SD card somes in it's own dvd case. I saw the one our techs use and the only thing inside was the SD card. Plus the dvd case with only the PIN inside. As ezveedub said it's one time use. And his avatar is cooler than mine.
I haven't checked the actual MMI update as it's sold, but yes, the SD card can be used for multiple uses, as the data is for all MMI3G cars. Also, this software was released around the third quarter of last year, but there was an error found in the software for MMI3G cars, that would cause it to lockup and corrupt the MMI unit during the update install, so all the copies had to be returned for correct error free versions. MMI3G+ cars were not affected by the corrupted files on the SD cards though.

Last edited by TIME89; 01-13-2012 at 09:50 PM.
ezveedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #22
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb01 View Post
The Garmin 2595, with 5 inch screen and lifetime maps and traffic is $250 on Amazon. Why in the world would anyone spend $300 for a 'map update'? For the price of a 'map update' in most vehicles (my MB ML550 is in the same price range) you can get a new Garmin every year, with around 4 updates a year for life.

$300? Amazing.
I concur, doctor.
What is more amazing, that owners of A8 need to pay for two updates! RIP OFF!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #23
AudiWorld Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to HaveBullDogWillTravel

Quote:
The Garmin 2595, with 5 inch screen and lifetime maps and traffic is $250 on Amazon. Why in the world would anyone spend $300 for a 'map update'? For the price of a 'map update' in most vehicles (my MB ML550 is in the same price range) you can get a new Garmin every year, with around 4 updates a year for life.

$300? Amazing.
I'd pay $300 to get my built in NAV working like it should and not have to have a tacky looking Garmin stuck to my windshield with wire hanging down across the dash and an antenna running up the windshield and having to remove it and lock it in the glovebox every time I reach my destination and clean the circles off the glass. I'd rather NOT pay that much but if I have t,o I will. Hope this answers your question.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:27 AM   #24
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER View Post
What is the version number of this update? my 2012 car was built in October/November 2011 and AOA told me I have the latest and greatest version. I believe my maps to be at least 3 years old! A forum member stated I have the update if my car was manufactured in Oct./Nov.
I picked up my new 2012 Q5 yesterday and can report the maps are updated, containing roads at least 6 months "new". The care was manufactured in November, 2011.
DrasonDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #25
AudiWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrasonDC View Post
I picked up my new 2012 Q5 yesterday and can report the maps are updated, containing roads at least 6 months "new". The care was manufactured in November, 2011.
What version do you have?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 AM   #26
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll check in a bit.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
Audiworld Junior Member

I took delivery of my Q5 on 10/1/2011. The maps are old and have v5.5.5.

On my commute home, it tells me to turn around on the one way I5 express lanes to take an exit that only a feeder lane.

This can't pass for quality.
WalksOnAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #28
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrasonDC View Post
It's version 5.5.5.
Drason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:48 PM   #29
AudiWorld Member

I picked up my Q5 after its 5000 mile service thing and my service guy (for the last 5 years) said the maps are updated as a part of new service. I wish I had a road I could use to verify this (anyone from Baltimore area??) but I cannot.
I sure like my Q5, the paddles, the little lights under the front seats for the folks in back, the keyless walk-up thing, B&O radio, too many things to list.
Nicest car I have ever owned.
Chris
(Now for this Ford Focus ST I am about to order, when I can)
Otto Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #30
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel View Post
I'd pay $300 to get my built in NAV working like it should
Well, remember, you are talking about $300 a year for the rest of the life of your vehicle, and that is only 1 map update a year. A Garmin with lifetime maps typically gets them once a quarter, and if the Audi is like my MB the POI list is quite diappointing. I understand the not wanting to have the GPS stuck to your window, but before you discard the notion of a Garmin (I just let mine rest in the console and listen to the audio, pick it up only when I need to), compare the ease of use and touch screen interface to the Audi's.

Guess I was unimpressed with the Audi controls, too, compared to the ease of use of the touch screen interface on my portable.

I likely would not buy the nav in any new vehicle if it wasn't part of the 'package' options that I had to buy to get something like ventilated seates.
Tomb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 AM   #31
Audiworld Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
I picked up my Q5 after its 5000 mile service thing and my service guy (for the last 5 years) said the maps are updated as a part of new service. I wish I had a road I could use to verify this (anyone from Baltimore area??) but I cannot.
I sure like my Q5, the paddles, the little lights under the front seats for the folks in back, the keyless walk-up thing, B&O radio, too many things to list.
Nicest car I have ever owned.
Chris
(Now for this Ford Focus ST I am about to order, when I can)
Otto Man -

The inter-county connector is on version 5.5.5.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #32
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalksOnAir View Post
I took delivery of my Q5 on 10/1/2011. The maps are old and have v5.5.5.
Another posters opinion is that 5.5.5 is the updated version

I guess it depends on how often your area roads are changing...
in our case they changed a lot and MANY are not on version 5.4.7

(I too was told I had the "latest" by AoA ! )

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 01-16-2012 at 05:28 AM.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #33
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Well, remember, you are talking about $300 a year for the rest of the life of your vehicle.
Not quite. With updates coming out(from Audi) every 3 years, this will be my one and only update. Further updates will be up to the next owner as I'll likely give this Q up in less than 2 years. The benefits of a Garmin are great! The 275T that I bought for my 335i is still kicking and I have the lifetime maps for it. I bought NAV in my Q5 expecting MUCH more than I got but if this update brings it remotely close to accurate, I'm all for it. I hate having a decent in-dash NAV unit in my car that I can't count on...GRRRR! As far as setting up is concerned I never have had a problem with the MMi. You're correct though, the Garmin is easier but we're talking about the difference in the two units of about 1 minute to input an address. One minute is hardly worth complaining about.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #34
AudiWorld Member

I was just told by a local dealer:

"There is a 2011 map edition available. It is $241.00 for the license code and requires about 1.5 hours labor for the update to be loaded on to the hard drive which is an additional $180.00."

Yikes. $421 for a simple update? Regarding the 1.5 hours of labor I wrote back and asked if it's really just 5 minutes to get the thing going and then 5 minutes to finish up when it's done, and not really a tech sitting there for 1.5 hours. We'll see what they say. Either way it's just crazy...
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #35
AudiWorld Member

AOA called me back last Friday and informed me that 5.5.6 is just a bug correction not a map update. I have 5.5.5 in my 2012. The maps in DC and part of VA are incorrect. No update on maps for version 5.5.5. No correction for the heated seat (lack of) at this time. "...most people feel they are fine." Ya, right!
DER KONIG PANZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
AudiWorld Member

I was also told that the following was taken from the Audi accessory catalog:

"High quality navigation - Significantly more detailed navigation data - Greater comfort and convenience thanks to better linking of navigation system with real world - Improved guidance options for the driver - 1,941,322 point of interest (POI) and 3D models of Mexican, Canadian, and US cities - Detailed off road models"

I don't know if that's what prior versions said or if this is something new.

Am still trying to find out what version they are claiming is new.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
AOA called me back last Friday and informed me that 5.5.6 is just a bug correction not a map update. I have 5.5.5 in my 2012. The maps in DC and part of VA are incorrect. No update on maps for version 5.5.5. No correction for the heated seat (lack of) at this time. "...most people feel they are fine." Ya, right!
Der Konig is correct, when I asked a tech in the shop, that is what he told me. It was just a bug correction of some sort.
Jeff-AudiUSAParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #38
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Kinda throws you off, since that version number is called the Nav database version in the MMI. If it was a bug you'd think they'd update the software version number.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #39
AudiWorld Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gat821 View Post
Kinda throws you off, since that version number is called the Nav database version in the MMI. If it was a bug you'd think they'd update the software version number.
Exactly!...sounds like someone at AoA is mis-informed. No big surprise there.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
AudiWorld Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts View Post
This update is version 5.5.6.
is there anything newer for mmi-3g?
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2011, 2012, 3g, 556, activated, audi, mmi, mmi3g, nav, navigation, navigator, q5, software, system, update