Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Navigation update for MMI 3G and 3G+

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdong
Just to clarify, so this $500+ update is just for firmware bugs in the navigation itself, not the map data?
$241 for the PIN plus whatever the dealer wants to charge you for the update. Most dealers will charge a minimum of 1 hour labor($115-140.00) to open the hood. No difinitive word at this time on whether this includes maps or not. So far... that's what I'm getting from this thread.
I don't mind paying for maps. I'd love to be able to get updated for $200+/- and would reluctantly go as high as $300 but anything over that is criminal, IMO. The software update to resolve the shortcomings of the system operation should be free. IMO, that should be considered a repair to fix a long-standing and well-known defect.
I don't want to come across as cheap as I can certainly afford to pay for this update without having to change my dining habits but I don't like getting cheated either.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HaveBullDogWillTravel
I don't want to come across as cheap as I can certainly afford to pay for this update without having to change my dining habits but I don't like getting cheated either.
Bulldog,

I'm glad you can say that...I just checked the local supermarket flyer for a Starkist tuna sale. lol
Old 01-13-2012, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got letter from Navteq stating they were dropping the price of the map update for my Jeep to $149. Up until now it started at $199 and then half-way thru the year they would drop it to $149.

WHY CANT WE GET A NAV UPDATE!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ForesterFan
This is a picture from my 2012 Q5 that I bought on August 19th 2011.
It shows nav as version 5.5.5 which is older than the one in this post (5.5.6). I wish the release notes / change log were available online.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...&postcount=151
Difference between 5.5.5 and 5.5.6 it's so minor, that you shouldn't waist your money.
In software word very important first two digit of release.

This practice permits users (or potential adopters) to evaluate how much real-world testing a given software release has undergone. If changes are made between, say, 1.3rc4 and the production release of 1.3, then that release, which asserts that it has had a production-grade level of testing in the real world, in fact contains changes which have not necessarily been tested in the real world at all.[clarification needed] This approach commonly permits the third level of numbering ("change"), but does not apply this level of rigor to changes in that number: 1.3.1, 1.3.2, 1.3.3, 1.3.4... 1.4.1, etc.[clarification needed]
In principle, in subsequent releases, the major number is increased when there are significant jumps in functionality, the minor number is incremented when only minor features or significant fixes have been added, and the revision number is incremented when minor bugs are fixed. A typical product might use the numbers 0.9 (for beta software), 0.9.1, 0.9.2, 0.9.3, 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1, 1.1.1, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.1, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.2, etc. Developers have at times jumped (for example) from version 5.0 to 5.5 to indicate significant features have been added, but they are not enough to warrant incrementing the major version number. It is usually done to create a visual differential between software versions. A person may be less inclined to go through the trouble of installing, reinstalling, and/or removing old versions of software if a minor change is made instead. (I.E. Version 5.0 to 5.01, or 5.0 to 5.1)
Old 01-13-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5Dawg
Just got letter from Navteq stating they were dropping the price of the map update for my Jeep to $149. Up until now it started at $199 and then half-way thru the year they would drop it to $149.

WHY CANT WE GET A NAV UPDATE!!!!
I got the same price drop for my Acura
Old 01-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ezveedub
AFAIK, there is only one price, not one for the SD card and one for a key code. When you order the NAV update, the SD card is inside the case with the key code. This key code must be inputted to unlock the NAV/MMI system after the update completes via an online connection with a tester to Audi's SVM database and is only valid once. It records the VIN of the vehicle and it activates the software to operate. If you have no valid key, your system will not work.

For the A8L with entertainment system, there are two MMI units installed, one in the front and one in the rear. This has a different MMI NAV update part number and requires two key codes for both units to update. All other cars just will have a single key code.

Also note, this update is not intended for end users to install, because if any issues come up, it will require assistance or diagnosis that they will not be able to do by themselves.
This is a very good summary of the program with one exception. The SD card would be purchased by the dealer, the dealer buys that not the customer. It is used multiple times on all vehicle models. There is no reason to bill the car owner for the SD card when the car comes in to a dealer or shop for an update. This is the reason why the invoice total at your dealer or shop would be 300.00 dollars. 241.00 for the PIN plus 59.00 for the labor. If a diy'er was doing this job we would bill 2 different part numbers. The SD card somes in it's own dvd case. I saw the one our techs use and the only thing inside was the SD card. Plus the dvd case with only the PIN inside. As ezveedub said it's one time use. And his avatar is cooler than mine.

Foresterfan: I'm glad you posted what you did.

It turns out 5.5.5 is the latest update for 2012 cars. What time89 said turns out to be true. If you have 5.5.5 you have the latest update for your car. 5.5.5 would be the version a car would have as delivered from Audi WITH the latest nav update installed already. 5.5.6 would be the version on your mmi screen for the DEALER installed nav. So 5.5.5 and version 5.5.6 are the same. In asking the tech, he said when viewing the MMI screen you could tell if the nav was factory installed or updated at a dealer or shop by what version is installled. That's the only difference. This is good news for a few of you.

johnboytoo: Much appreciated, I'm not easily offended especially on this topic. All I have to do is put myself in somebody elses shoes and I totally understand. Thanks for your reply!

jdong: This update is for punctuation, bugs if any, streets and POI's as well. It has the latest streets included. At our dealership here we are at 300.00 dollars to do this update, parts and labor. Dealers West to East coast might vary in price for both the PIN and labor.

Navtech and Audi were working together on the dvd discs used on 2010 and older vehicles. Navtech has nothing to do with this new 3G/3G+ software version update. This one is all Audi.

The shop foreman also told me 2011 early A7 and other models prior to June 2011 probably have version 5.5.3 and would benefit from this new update. You would want to check your installed version on your MMI screen first.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

In my team - if customer found spelling error on our web site (this can happen ) and no other bug include, we change revision from 1.6.1 to 1.6.2.
If code was changed, some logic for new business rules - then we bump to 1.7.1.
If major change done, that can break compatibility with older browsers for exmpl., etc - then we go to 2.0.0

So, from 5.5.3 to 5.5.6 - should be nothing, that will cost $300+ for upgrade.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered my car Feb. 2011 and received it May 2011. It shows version NAR 5.4.7

So does that mean I now need two upgrades; this 5.5.5 for the Nav and then another one when (if!) new maps are released?

Talking to my dealer and Audi NA and Navteq, the response I always get is that "your car was delivered with the latest blah blah blah available". Frustrating.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Garmin 2595, with 5 inch screen and lifetime maps and traffic is $250 on Amazon. Why in the world would anyone spend $300 for a 'map update'? For the price of a 'map update' in most vehicles (my MB ML550 is in the same price range) you can get a new Garmin every year, with around 4 updates a year for life.

$300? Amazing.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Captive customer base !

Plus, you forgot the cost of the initial investment to GET that outdated Nav

Quick Reply: Navigation update for MMI 3G and 3G+