Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Need help from tech guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Well, it's entirely possible the pump is failing.

I think that pump is ultimately controlled by the ECU.

Do you know which engine you have? V6?? Is the pump really that expensive?
3.2L V6

Well that's the price my dealer gave me....
Old 01-28-2015, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Maybe Spijun will look up the P/N for you and we can get a real price...
Old 01-28-2015, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Maybe Spijun will look up the P/N for you and we can get a real price...
I already asked him in a private message

The only thing I still have difficulty to get is where this damn pump is located. in the tecnical manual link you gave me, I could not recognize any location...
Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
Well... No luck for me.

The dealer just called...

They want to change the secondary water pump... 1000$. But they are not sure it will fix the problem.

I told them to go to hell!

Martin
Something is just not right.........

1. You get an "electrical" error code that points to the V36 recirculation pump problem.

2. You clear the code and you get heat.

3. It then immediately throws the code again and the heat stops.

I don't think your dealer knows what they are doing, this doesn't sound like a mechanical water pump problem, but who knows this day and age. Can you go to another dealer?

What exactly do they call the "secondary" water pump, the electrical recirculating pump, or the mechanical water pump?

Do you have the plastic or metal mechanical water pump? I thought there was a water pump recall on 3.2L 2009-2010 Q5's.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Something is just not right.........

1. You get an "electrical" error code that points to the V36 recirculation pump problem.

2. You clear the code and you get heat.

3. It then immediately throws the code again and the heat stops.

I don't think your dealer knows what they are doing, this doesn't sound like a mechanical water pump problem, but who knows this day and age. Can you go to another dealer?

What exactly do they call the "secondary" water pump, the electrical recirculating pump, or the mechanical water pump?

Do you have the plastic or metal mechanical water pump? I thought there was a water pump recall on 3.2L 2009-2010 Q5's.
It is an electrical recirculating pump that helps the coolant flow into the heater core.

It doesn't immediatly throws an error code but after a certain time.

Apparently there was some corrosion on the pump connectors. They cleaned it. Apparently the next step is to replace the pump. They decided to lower the price from 1000$ to 700$ + tax. Still, I already paid 400$ for their diagnostic and ... connector cleaning.

For now the pump is working. No fault so far (1 hours of travel). I will wait and see. One thing for sure, if the error code comes back, I will either connect the pump directly without going through the ECU, or order a new pump from the net (I saw a chinese maker selling the same Audi pump for 78$) and replace it myself.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

I already asked him in a private message

The only thing I still have difficulty to get is where this damn pump is located. in the tecnical manual link you gave me, I could not recognize any location...
Maybe this will help

S/N: 1K0965561G price in EU cca 130 EUR

Volkswagen Golf V 2.0T Engine Cooling - 1K0965561G - Auxiliary Water Pump - ES#318788
Additional water pump made by Audi. #1K0965561G

Attached Files

Last edited by spijun; 01-29-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Audiusaparts.com has that item for just over $150 w/free shipping in the US until the end of the month.

Audi Parts - Audi Wholesale OEM Parts | Audi Genuine Accessories | Audi Branded Collection | Audi USA Parts Online Catalog estore
Old 01-29-2015, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Run it till it stops working again.

It is an electrical recirculating pump that helps the coolant flow into the heater core.

It doesn't immediatly throws an error code but after a certain time.

Apparently there was some corrosion on the pump connectors. They cleaned it. Apparently the next step is to replace the pump. They decided to lower the price from 1000$ to 700$ + tax. Still, I already paid 400$ for their diagnostic and ... connector cleaning.

For now the pump is working. No fault so far (1 hours of travel). I will wait and see. One thing for sure, if the error code comes back, I will either connect the pump directly without going through the ECU, or order a new pump from the net (I saw a chinese maker selling the same Audi pump for 78$) and replace it myself.
I would pull the connector and coat the contacts with silicone grease to prevent future corrosion if the dealer didn't do so already.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Looks like the correct P/N - $258 ($US) dealer price.

From my ETKA listing............

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 01-29-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
I would pull the connector and coat the contacts with silicone grease to prevent future corrosion if the dealer didn't do so already.
I will check that over the week-end.

However as the pump is all made of plastic (with the exception of the rotor/stator) I fail to see how corrosion could result in a short to ground. My guess is that the pump has a bit of a hard time to start during cold weather, drawing too much current so the ECU thinks it is a short to ground, resulting in the fault.

Quick Reply: Need help from tech guys