Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Need help from tech guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
Looks like the correct P/N - $258 ($US) dealer price.

From my ETKA listing............
$ 159.99 Jim Ellis Audi Parts
Additional water pump made by Audi. #1K0965561G
Old 01-30-2015, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So from a $1000 down to $160 part plus install (or if you are skilled enough, which I am not, a total of $160!!!)...gotta love the forums!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NorthValley
So from a $1000 down to $160 part plus install (or if you are skilled enough, which I am not, a total of $160!!!)...gotta love the forums!
Yes!

This is why I ask questions here. I found more useful information than with my "friendly" dealer!

Thanks a lot guys for your help!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinQ5
I will check that over the week-end.

However as the pump is all made of plastic (with the exception of the rotor/stator) I fail to see how corrosion could result in a short to ground. My guess is that the pump has a bit of a hard time to start during cold weather, drawing too much current so the ECU thinks it is a short to ground, resulting in the fault.
Yes, if struggling to spin, would pull more current and the ECU would pick that up as a short. Corrosion at the terminals could cause a short like path also and indicate high current.

In your other post where you detected the error code and cleared it. You said once you cleared it, the error cam back almost immediately. Did this happen when the engine was cold, and when it was warmed up?

Also right now it is working fine since they cleaned the contacts, this doesn't seem to be poorly performing motor, even when loaded at cold.

Again, clean the terminals, coat them with silicone grease, and run until it fails again. It could last forever.

Is this the pump?

Looks easy to remove and replace.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

In your other post where you detected the error code and cleared it. You said once you cleared it, the error cam back almost immediately. Did this happen when the engine was cold, and when it was warmed up?
It happened right away the first time and the next morning the second time. First time the engine was warm, second time it was cold.

Since I came back from the dealer it was working fine, it stopped working today. I just reset it.

Sunday I will lift my car and clean the connectors.

But I believe it is more the pump that is at fault. However I don't see any amperage reading in the fault details. To me this is a bit puzzling.

And thank you for the picture. This is the correct pump.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Doesn't sound like a connector problem....

It happened right away the first time and the next morning the second time. First time the engine was warm, second time it was cold.

Since I came back from the dealer it was working fine, it stopped working today. I just reset it.

Sunday I will lift my car and clean the connectors.

But I believe it is more the pump that is at fault. However I don't see any amperage reading in the fault details. To me this is a bit puzzling.

And thank you for the picture. This is the correct pump.
since it threw the error again and the pump stopped working. It's odd that you need to clear the error code to have the pump start again. That is very strange, unless it goes into to some limp home mode that needs to be reset .

The A/C controller controls this pump. I'm sure that there is a measure block in VCDS that indicates the current flow to the pump, I sure don't know which one it is, maybe someone around here does?
Old 01-31-2015, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Pump circuit diagram......

since it threw the error again and the pump stopped working. It's odd that you need to clear the error code to have the pump start again. That is very strange, unless it goes into to some limp home mode that needs to be reset .

The A/C controller controls this pump. I'm sure that there is a measure block in VCDS that indicates the current flow to the pump, I sure don't know which one it is, maybe someone around here does?

Looks like the A/C controller is direct, no relay to the pump, but the circuit does go through 2 intermediate connectors (again they would be ok, or be shorted, not intermittent)

Keep us posted.
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2015, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like the A/C controller is direct, no relay to the pump, but the circuit does go through 2 intermediate connectors (again they would be ok, or be shorted, not intermittent)

Keep us posted.
Thanks for the schematic.

I will try to put a relay tomorow between the pump and the A/C controller. This way if for any reason the pump draws too much current at start, the fault will not occur. I will put a fuse on the wire that will connect to the pump. This way if the current is really that high, it will blow... and I will order a new pump.

This is a low tech solution... It reminds me of my younger days where I could spend hours messing around in my "good old" K car!

I hope it will help me get to the bottom of this!

Thanks for you help
Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I will try to put a relay tomorow between the pump and the A/C controller. This way if for any reason the pump draws too much current at start, the fault will not occur. I will put a fuse on the wire that will connect to the pump. This way if the current is really that high, it will blow... and I will order a new pump.

This is a low tech solution... It reminds me of my younger days where I could spend hours messing around in my "good old" K car!

Thanks for you help
I agree, to me this is fun, and I'm 65!

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2015, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I will try to put a relay tomorow between the pump and the A/C controller. This way if for any reason the pump draws too much current at start, the fault will not occur. I will put a fuse on the wire that will connect to the pump. This way if the current is really that high, if it will blow... and I will order a new pump.

Thanks for you help
Ok, I just finished playing with my Q5.

The relay didn't work. I get the same fault all the time now. This was far fetched and I didn't really think it would work.

However since the relay was connected, I did some tests. I placed a 8 amp fuse to drive my pump. This circuit connected directly to the battery is driving my pump via the relay. The pump always work when I trig the relay and there I doesn't seem to draw too much current (My meter amp tester is dead...).

Since it is -14C outside, I decided to manually drive my pump for now. I connected the relay trigger to the fog lamp. Since the pump is behind the passenger's side fog lamp (and not on the driver's side as the schematics were showing), it was an easy connection. So now, I only need to turn on the fog lights... Or turn right as the turning fog lights feature is activated on my car to get warm air.

This will do until I order a new pump... Hoping that a new pump will fix the issue permanently.

Oh! One last thing. My dealer told me that they could reproduce the fault when disconnecting the pump... Guess what, when you do so you do not get the same error at all! Gee I love my dealer!

Short to ground fault:

01020 - Water Pump (V36)
007 - Short to Ground
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100111
Fault Priority: 4
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 202
Mileage: 137395 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2015.01.31
Time: 12:43:29