Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New adapter cable for Apple Lightning port

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by - B -
So I purchased this exact cable, and received it today. Video is still not working, but album art does show on the MMI. The album art will only work for the apple music app or a video which will only play on your apple device (although audio will play through the MMI's speakers). Spotify's album art won't show unfortunately. I'm really disappointed that video won't play on my MMI unless it's via DVD. I used this with my new iPhone6 Plus in case your curious.

I also noticed that the MMI won't allow me to import music from Apple device to the Jukebox while utilizing this cable.
No, it is not possible to download files from an iPod/iPhon into the jukebox. The way an iPod's/iPhon inner workings are set up, you cannot transfer the song files directly from the iPod/iPhon into the Jukebox. The song files must be saved on an SD card/DVD/data CD (not music CD) or some other portable drive in order to get them into the Jukebox. It is the same concept that one cannot simply plug an iPod/iPhon into a computer and download songs into that computer.
Also when music has been copied to the MMI Jukebox, this music can not be exported from the Jukebox to an external media device.

Which is the video format ????

Last edited by spijun; 09-30-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spijun
It is the same concept that one cannot simply plug an iPod/iPhon into a computer and download songs into that computer.
Actually, you can download songs to a computer if you sync your iPhone with iTunes on that computer.

Originally Posted by spijun
Which is the video format ????
I've tried several "supported" formats via the AMI lightning cable, which I posted above and all videos would not output video to the MMI screen despite selecting output to "dock connector".... So the cable only supports album art and NOT VIDEO.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually, you can download songs to a computer if you sync your iPhone with iTunes on that computer.
It is true but you need iTunes. It's a problem Apple devices, not problem with Audi.
You can copy music from a CD, DVD, USB, SD card, external hard drive, only not from iPod / iPhone

I've tried several "supported" formats via the AMI lightning cable, which I posted above and all videos would not output video to the MMI screen despite selecting output to "dock connector".... So the cable only supports album art and NOT VIDEO.
Audi says it supports video, contact them
Audi iPod/iPhone 5/5S AMI Cable with Authentication Chip - 4F0051510AL

Last edited by spijun; 09-30-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

It seems puzzling that the AL cable would not also support video as did the AD version it replaces. While a file format may be supported by the MMI, the maximum resolution of 720x526 must also be respected or you will only get audio. For example, if the video is a full res of 1080p from an iPhone, there will be no video. I use a utility to convert any vids that will play in the MMI to a smaller res like 640x480 to ensure they will play on the MMI.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's amazing to me, coming from a Ford system, that Audi owners don't revolt against a system that is like a separate hobby. Just to make it do, what it's supposed to. The MMI system is junk. Most of the time my phone is riding on a piece of foam, in front of the MMI display, Not only does it not respond to simple commands immediately, or correctly, it also only displays one function, on screen, at a time. Just that it reloads the phone directory each time you get in the car is obtrusive. I'm used to doing business from my car every day. This system makes me miss my Lincoln every day.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dino757
It's amazing to me, coming from a Ford system, that Audi owners don't revolt against a system that is like a separate hobby. Just to make it do, what it's supposed to. The MMI system is junk. Most of the time my phone is riding on a piece of foam, in front of the MMI display, Not only does it not respond to simple commands immediately, or correctly, it also only displays one function, on screen, at a time. Just that it reloads the phone directory each time you get in the car is obtrusive. I'm used to doing business from my car every day. This system makes me miss my Lincoln every day.
Yeah, I'd agree with much of that. I was impressed by the Ford Sync system. The MMI in my 2011 is functional and does all the basic things that I would need. But, that's where it stops.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

I agree. It's ridiculous. Hopefully it will get better in the 2016 version, not that it will help me unless I sell the car.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by monkeydust
Yeah, I'd agree with much of that. I was impressed by the Ford Sync system. The MMI in my 2011 is functional and does all the basic things that I would need. But, that's where it stops.
Originally Posted by MalibuCANE
I agree. It's ridiculous. Hopefully it will get better in the 2016 version, not that it will help me unless I sell the car.
It is platform MMI from 2007 which are designed to A5, A4, Q5.
The A3 is the first car in the world with 4G system and this will be incorporated into the next generation of the Audi A4 / A5 / 5

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-.../#post24583444

The solution is to simply sell Audi, buy Ford

Last edited by spijun; 10-02-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

was able to order one of these cables (4F0051510AL) through the parts department at my dealer. ordered it on monday and picked it up today. they are now available in the us, but my dealer wasn't aware of this until i brought in the part number and made them check. i have not tried video, but audio and album art are fine with my iPhone 5 running iOS 8.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yes, they finally arrived in US

Ordered mine as well and should get end of week after a long wait.

Quick Reply: New adapter cable for Apple Lightning port