Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Blizzak LM-80 V rated Non-RF Snow Tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Pete, I agree. A high performance snow tire is what I am leaning to. I think the Blizzak may be a bit better in deeper snow than some of the other high performance snow tires.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Winter Tire Selection..

Originally Posted by Festoolbob
Pete,

Once and a while, a post really sums up reality so well - for me. Your sentence :
The Q5 is a frigging truck afterall, not a sports car, so I'm OK with that tradeoff. really sums it up well. Last winter upon TireRack's and positive feedback from AW members, I bought the Blizzaks and am happy with them for the NJ winter conditions. Now, I did happen to buy late into the season, so some tires were out of stock but again I am happy with my selection. I never push the Q5 anyhow - with a speeding ticket already on my license and NJS troopers on the major parkways here, but I can tell the handling difference with my OEM tires (Michelin's) and the Blizzaks but they are snow tires and do what they are supposed to do and I do what I am supposed to do in snowy/icy conditions and that is to reduce speed and drive with extra caution. With snow tires, I'll error on the side of grip rather than performance.

Bob
I have same concerns here in NJ as well with our SQ5. Especially after last winter. I agree it is all about geographic & personal winter priorities. Priority one was getting the 21" summer only tires off by late November and something on that can get good all around traction sub 40 degree pavement. Next priority was something that can deal with expected winter snow falls in NJ and provide predictable perfomance on plowed or cleared roadways. Thrid priority was maintaing some of the sporty (not sports car) driving characteristics of the SQ5. We went with the Pirelli Scorpion Winters on a set of OEM Audi wheels. A calculated trade off, as many have mentioned herein, based on our specific needs. At the very least we have some piece of mind with the 21" summer only Pirellis off for the cold weather.

Will be happy to report back our opionions in January after some winter road time and experience.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

V-speed rated snow tires for a Q5 Blizzaks DM-V1 are plenty good for our audi "truck"
Old 10-14-2014, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
V-speed rated snow tires for a Q5 Blizzaks DM-V1 are plenty good for our audi "truck"
Winter tires. Not snow. And exactly.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by cnachris
Winter tires. Not snow. And exactly.
Excuse me please, sir. I stand corrected!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a set of the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's and they're great. Not noisy. Awesome in in ice/slush/deep snow. Important to remember that all winter-specific tires use softer rubber compounds so that in the cold temps, the rubber stays soft and grippier. The desire of wanting high-performance winter tire, while I get the "want", is kind of counter to what a winter tire needs to be to do its job in the bad conditions.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam
Important to remember that all winter-specific tires use softer rubber compounds so that in the cold temps, the rubber stays soft and grippier.
This

The desire of wanting high-performance winter tire, while I get the "want", is kind of counter to what a winter tire needs to be to do its job in the bad conditions.
I disagree. For a performance oriented vehicle in an area which regularly sees cold temperatures but rarely sees much snow a high performance winter tire makes sense. I live in DC- we rarely get much snow sticking on the ground and when we do work is called off anyways, however temperatures colder than what an All Season performs well in are a regular occurrence - so what im after in a winter tire is high performance levels of grip in the cold with the capability to get me safely through the rare bout of snow. Seems rational, no?

Last edited by Dave DC; 10-17-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's true that winter tires aren't meant for just snow. Temperature range is the key. Need proof? My RS4 turned one of the quickest 60' times at the dragstrip in the RS4 community. It was a cold spring day, 40 degrees. I purposely had snow tires mounted on all four corners. I was the only car there with snow tires and the only car that had traction. When the lights turned green, everybody else's tires went up in smoke
Attached Images  

Last edited by ELEVENS; 10-18-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dave DC
This

I disagree. For a performance oriented vehicle in an area which regularly sees cold temperatures but rarely sees much snow a high performance winter tire makes sense. I live in DC- we rarely get much snow sticking on the ground and when we do work is called off anyways, however temperatures colder than what an All Season performs well in are a regular occurrence - so what im after in a winter tire is high performance levels of grip in the cold with the capability to get me safely through the rare bout of snow. Seems rational, no?
Do not expect anything like summer tire performance from the LM Blizzak. I have customers near you. If I lived there or could avoid actual winter driving I would own UHP all seasons.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SamLV
Do not expect anything like summer tire performance from the LM Blizzak. I have customers near you. If I lived there or could avoid actual winter driving I would own UHP all seasons.
yeah i went back and forth on the uhp all seasons and ended up with pirelli scorpions. i wanted dunlop 3ds but they were sold out...kinda felt silly with the idea of having summers and all seasons as opposed to summers and 'performance' winters - though in hindsight if i had done the research perhaps there is a uhp all season with good cold weather performance and better dry road handling than these pirellis will give. oh well.

Quick Reply: New Blizzak LM-80 V rated Non-RF Snow Tire