Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New Consumer Reports Oil Burning Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I need a bit of advice. I have a 2012 A4 2.0T that I bought exactly a year ago with only 14,000 miles. I have an appointment with the dealer to do my Audi Care yearly routine maintenance this week. During the year, I've only put 6,500 miles on my car.

Anyways, I just caught wind of this consumer reports story yesterday. I immediately checked my oil level, and my level is not anywhere between the min or the max, so I'm assuming it's below the minimum. I had not been checking my oil levels regularly since I haven't put many miles on it.

My questions - is there not a low oil level warning that will kick on when this happens? How do I know how low my oil level is? Since I don't know how long the oil level has been low, how do I know if there is any damage? Any other advice before I take my car in?

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2015, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mulletchild2
I immediately checked my oil level, and my level is not anywhere between the min or the max, so I'm assuming it's below the minimum.
What exactly does your display show? Maybe it's at max or over max?

If it really is below minimum, then yes, you should have gotten a low oil warning indication.

How do I know how low my oil level is?
Buy yourself an actual oil dipstick.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
What exactly does your display show? Maybe it's at max or over max?

If it really is below minimum, then yes, you should have gotten a low oil warning indication.

Buy yourself an actual oil dipstick.

The display shows no level in between min and max. It's just black. I haven't received any sort of low oil level warnings at all. In fact, I've only received messages about needing scheduled service in 3500 miles. LOL.

I didn't realize you could put in a dipstick where the oil is placed. Do I need a special type of dipstick?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Expert

I didn't realize you could put in a dipstick where the oil is placed. Do I need a special type of dipstick?
Dipstick goes into the dipstick tube. I believe this is the correct one for your car:

Audi B8 A4 FWD 2.0T - 06J115611E - Engine Oil Dipstick - ES#2662893
Old 07-04-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I haven't received any sort of low oil level warnings at all.
As far as low oil level warning, I can only refer to what it says in our Q5 owner's manual. You should probably take a look at your A4 owner's manual to see what it says...

Name:  symbols.png
Views: 184
Size:  98.6 KB
Old 07-04-2015, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The display shows no level in between min and max. It's just black. I haven't received any sort of low oil level warnings at all.

It has to fall beyond the bottom edge of the MMI readout before you'll get a warning about low oil level (non-critical). It may take some time if your burn rate is low.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ex-quattro PETE
As far as low oil level warning, I can only refer to what it says in our Q5 owner's manual. You should probably take a look at your A4 owner's manual to see what it says...

Thanks Pete. The only indicator light I can find is the "oil pressure warning" display light; however, it says that "it is not an indicator of the oil level." So apparently my 2012 A4 Quattro S-line with all of it's technology can't give me a warning when my oil is low. I've had VWs and Saabs in the past and I have never run into this problem before.

I'll get a dipstick to check the oil. In the meantime, do you know if there is a way to have the Audi dealership check to see if there has been any engine damage? Do you think it's worth asking them about doing an oil consumption test? Consumer reports only reported about 9% of 2012 A4s having this problem, but it appears as though I may have this problem.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
It has to fall beyond the bottom edge of the MMI readout before you'll get a warning about low oil level (non-critical). It may take some time if your burn rate is low.
Mine is below the minimum MMI display and I've received no warning. I don't believe my car has an indicator light for this problem. I have no idea how low my oil actually is or how long it's been low.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Mullet, again, once it falls below the edge of the MMI display, it may take a while to get the warning in the DIS. It's going to be a function of your burn rate.

You can also get a quart of compliant oil and add half and see where it ends up on the MMI readout. You have to drive for ~100 miles after opening the hood to generate an updated reading.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by uberwgn
You can also get a quart of compliant oil and add half and see where it ends up on the MMI readout.
+1

Quick Reply: New Consumer Reports Oil Burning Story