Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

New lugs for new Audi S5 wheels on my Q5?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by aware
So, it seems like I WOULD use the existing bolts on the Audi Q5: Bolts for Q5 is M14x1,5x45?

Ignore than Hartmann says at Hartmann Wheels - Audi Wheels, stock replicas - hartmannwheels.com about the radius being different and new lugs being required? Because they are referring to aftermarket?

"Audi B8 Q5: 2009+ (19" ET38, 19" ET25, 20" ET29) *New lugbolts required"

I am not sure what the "Bolt head" refers to...the same thing?

Thanks again,

Ben
Hartmann Wheels is replicas NOT OEM

Bolt head:

Hartmann Wheels - Lug bolts, nuts, wheel locks, spacers, and more - hartmannwheels.com
Old 03-29-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Correct lugs for Peelers off an S5 soon to be on a Q5

Originally Posted by spijun
So, are you saying to use the Q5 bolts with the S5 wheels?

I removed one of the old wheels and put the lug through the wheel and measured the amount of the stud that was protruding (the threaded section) and did the same with the S5 wheel and the measurements were exactly the same.

So, I would assume that the wheels are correct but I am not 100 percent about the head; the ball size actually.

I have looked at photos of both and I believe they were wrong because some photos for the same stud shows a taper and some so a ball!!

I have read in more places that it is a ball type...

Can anyone see if it is the same on the S5 with the peelers as the Q5 uses?

Thanks again!

Ben
Old 03-30-2015, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I talked to two different dealers and they both said that the lugs were the same on the Q5 as they were on the S5 except for the difference in length.

I a measured the amount of thread protruding on the original wheel and it is exactly the same as the S line wheel that came on the S5

They both confirmed that I could use the original lugs that came on the Q5.

However, they are pretty ugly because they are hidden by the special wheel covers that come on the Q5 and so there is no special consideration to making them look good. i.e. Chrome

So now I am looking for Q5 lugs that are chrome plated.

Should special consideration be given to the fact that the originals had a two-part lug, with a floating ball?

I can see where the floating ball acts a washer and would reduce galling and you may get more accurate torque settings.

I looked at some on eBay but all they say is that they are heat treated - no idea what grade they are.

One that said that the lugs were grade 10.9 but they do not have the floating ball seat.

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to where to buy them and what type I should buy?

They need to be M14 by 1.5 by 45 mm

Thanks in advance!

Ben
Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are bolt caps that you can buy to cover just the bolts. However, though the dealer knew nothing about ball radius when i asked, i went with a new set of r13 bolts when i switched to aftermarket wheels just to be safe.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2860246/page3/
Old 03-31-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by userbbc
There are bolt caps that you can buy to cover just the bolts. However, though the dealer knew nothing about ball radius when i asked, i went with a new set of r13 bolts when i switched to aftermarket wheels just to be safe.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2860246/page3/
What bolts did you buy and did you get the ones with the floating (washer type) ball?

Do you have any idea where to get CAPS because the ones I looked at needed a special tool to remove and they cannot be used where the bolt head is recessed into the wheel...(According to the manufacturer)

Like you, I have not found anywhere else that refers to the ball radius - other than Haartman
Old 03-31-2015, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i ordered the r13 floating washer bolts from otisincla - M14x1.5 R13 w Washer (VW, Audi)

floating washers are there for more consistent torquing of the lug bolts (i tend to be somewhat **** when torquing the wheels) Some users suggest antiseize on the threads or under the bolt head but after some research - i would suggest against it. antiseize significantly skews torque ratings and i remember reading in one of the audi manuals, the manufacturer torque ratings are calculated based on bare metal.

i ordered the audi oem bolt caps which are the same ones that you're referring to that have that tweezer like tool for removal. If it's not that tight a fit, i doubt removal would be a problem even if the bolts are recessed.
example pic pulled from diyaudi

If you're worried about how the bare bolts look - regardless of finish, i doubt they will last if left uncovered. I bought the black zinc coated bolts and having been too lazy to install the bolt caps - the finish has essentially worn away even before this winter's salted roads.

another option (though not sure if the standard socket will still fit) would be to plastidip the heads of whatever bolts you buy.

Last edited by userbbc; 03-31-2015 at 10:07 PM.